Intel X25-M Drive Model#

friend'scatdied

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased an irresistible 160GB X25-M from eBay for $360 post-BCB. The model number is SSDSA2M160G2GN. From what I understand, this is different from the SSDSA2M160G2C1 and SSDSA2M160G2R5 that most of these SSD model numbers are labeled as.

I have done a Google search and could find no information on my GN model number. Searching for SSDSA2M080G2GN (the 80GB counterpart) yielded a wealth of results, however.

From what I've gathered, the C1 and R5 suffixes are simply for the packaging. The actual drives have a model suffix of either -GN or -GC.

My question is: what is the difference between the GN and GC suffix? Is the GN newer? Is it possible I might not have to flash it for TRIM support?

Thanks

The GC/GN is part of the ordering information as per this PDF from Intel....

http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/x25m/sb/x18mx25msatassdproductmanual34nm322296.pdf

No clue on flashing for TRIM, won't hurt to try it, if it doesn't need it the program will tell you so.

I wouldn't even worry about TRIM, as you're not gonna do anything to that drive to slow it up so much that you need to TRIM it unless you load it up to 95% or more full or do something far outside the realm of normal usage.

Even at it's slowest speed it will be so much faster than a normal HD that you'd never notice a slowdown under normal use, it's just that fast. Far too many people are so paranoid about "needing" it, when they likely won't.

Thanks for the info. I have about 130GB to clone so hopefully I won't hit the limits.

Curious -- what's the difference between GC and GN, if any? The Intel representative on the forums in one of the Google search results treated the two equivalently.

Bit of a thread necro (not too bad...).

I wanted to confirm that the Model number listed in the OP indicates it is a Gen2 SSD. Can someone confirm this?

All physical drives are suffixed in GC or GN.

The packaging is either C1 (OEM) or R5 (retail).

Mine was a GN in C1 packaging. The GN ships with 02HA firmware, whereas I believe the GC ships with an earlier, non-TRIM firmware. Doesn't really matter as I upgraded to 02HD as soon as I got it.

My 160GB has the model number just like the OP.

Ending in "...160G2GN."

I believe the GN ending indicates it is OEM, but upon further reading the G2 does indicate it is a gen2 drive.

My drive shipped with firmware version 02G9.

I copied out the model number info from the Intel support PDF for easy reference.

http://pctech.invisibill.net/images/intelssdmodelnumbers.png
intelssdmodelnumbers.png

Want to buy 9th generation Intel SSD!

Thanks for the PDF Bill.

Back