Intel X25-M ($177 AR) Warm?

warm, but with the new 510 series being announced, it's likely the price will drop more before long

Nice find. I'm pretty sure that's the best price I've seen on the Intel branded 120GB since the $164 after MIR deals this past Dec.

warm, but with the new 510 series being announced, it's likely the price will drop more before long
I'd like to hope so, but then again that's a complete gamble and considering that the Q1 is almost over and the 3rd gen Intel ssds still aren't on shelves, the waiting game has been a hassle for me. I shoulda just bought one of the many good deals over the holidays. Also worth noting is that users who don't have SATA 3 ports on their mobo see little added performance benefit from the newer Sandforce drives and it's doubtful the Intel/Corsair stuff is gonna make much difference either.

Last edited:
Wow - prices are a droppin'! 2 of these in RAID0 for $360! Holy cow.

Eh... I got the same drive a couple months ago in the $140 range after a rebate. Warm maybe, but since the next gen has been announced (as well as the vertex 3 and phoenix II) it's not an amazing price.

Eh... I got the same drive a couple months ago in the $140 range after a rebate. Warm maybe, but since the next gen has been announced (as well as the vertex 3 and phoenix II) it's not an amazing price.

Compared to what you can buy one from other retailers though at the present time, its not bad (and actually a pretty good price - at least that was my thought). Just trying to help. :rolleyes:

Where? I've been hunting both the Intel branded 120GB and 160GB since last summer, and haven't seen a legit deal less than the $164.99 that newegg was charging. I saw the re-badged stuff like the Patriot etc for less, but not the actual Intels.

Compared to what you can buy one from other retailers though at the present time, its not bad (and actually a pretty good price - at least that was my thought). Just trying to help. :rolleyes:
I appreciate your posting it. I had it in my cart at $220 all morning since I'm not impressed with the price of the new 510 series. It will be my first SSD.

Last edited:
Glad to help, and yeah those 510 series are almost double the price and unless you have SATA III equipped mobo, its certainly not worth spending double the $$$ for.

Exactly. My X200 is still SATA II and I think I will get a Crucial C300 or C400 for my desktop that does support SATA III. So much for the next generation of SSDs being cheaper. Sure, they did bring the price of the previous generation down, but $300 for a 120GB SSD? No.

EDIT: Hey, I just became a "Limp Gawd".

Where? I've been hunting both the Intel branded 120GB and 160GB since last summer, and haven't seen a legit deal less than the $164.99 that newegg was charging. I saw the re-badged stuff like the Patriot etc for less, but not the actual Intels.

Since summer these have been much lower after rebate. Newegg had some deals were they were around $130 after rebate and gift cards. I bought on 2 separate occasions in the fall / winter.

Were better deals to be had in the past? I reckon so. Will there be sales of these drives in the future? I'd say yes, it's quite likely. But the bottom line is now, at the current price, is this a good price if you're looking to buy a SSD? That's the question you have to ask yourself before you buy and I'm sure opinions will vary. :)

Just an FYI: if you want one at this price you only have about 45 minutes left and the sale will be over.

in for 1.

i dont plan on upgrading my system anytime soon, so the max i have is sata 2 3.0gbps, so this drive will be perfect :)

its going to be replacing my aging raid 0 raptor setup.

unless you are in a hurry, you should probably wait a little bit. The next generation is coming out in a few months and benchmarking 2x the speed of this generations. The prices are also similiar to what the $/gig these drives are going for. The new generation will also degrade less than this generations or if you really want you can probably buy the older generation for alot cheaper then.

Paired with a sandy bridge, they are worth it.

As compared to what? Am3 (800 series chipset) has sata III and alot of Intel boards before sandy bridge have addon chips. Sandy bridge doesn't really make a difference.

i bit, my intel 80gb is serving me very well. But that can go to a new home and I'll take an extra 40gb!

The intel rebate process is quite possibly the best I've ever used. Still have to mail stupid crap in though. But simple nonetheless.

Since summer these have been much lower after rebate. Newegg had some deals were they were around $130 after rebate and gift cards. I bought on 2 separate occasions in the fall / winter.

Are you talking about a 120GB or larger Intel drives? There's a mega-ssd thread at arstechnica that dates back to March 2009, and anytime a hot deal pops up, it gets posted. Between that thread, da [H] and slickdeals, I've not seen a single one of these ~$130-140 Intel ssd deals ya'll are claiming unless you're talking about the 80GB x25-m. For 120GB+ ya'll musta hit ebay/shady sites or else post a link. Not only will your prove me wrong, but I'll shed tears of sorrow for missing out.

The next generation is coming out in a few months and benchmarking 2x the speed of this generations.

That's not true unless you're running very specific benchmarks beyond what 95% of desktop users will ever execute.

Anyone that really needs an ssd (businesses, power users, DB etc), already has one because prices have been plenty affordable since at least last summer. For typical desktop usage, the jump in performance from 2nd to 3rd gen is hardly noticeable, especially if you're not using SATA 6Gbs. Intel's own specs list their upcoming 3rd gen ssds as being slower than the recently benched Sandforce controller

The new generation will also degrade less than this generations or if you really want you can probably buy the older generation for alot cheaper then.
For people buying non-Intel stuff, the lifespan of their ssds tends to be more of a concern because no other ssd maker comes close to Intel's level of compatibility/reliability testing. From Anand's 2009 article:
Anand Lal Shimpi said:
Intel estimates that even if you wrote 20GB of data to your drive per day, its X25-M would be able to last you at least 5 years. Realistically, that’s a value far higher than you’ll use consistently.

My personal desktop saw about 100GB worth of writes (whether from the OS or elsewhere) to my SSD and my data drive over the past 14 days. That’s a bit over 7GB per day of writes...

...So we’re at approximately 36 days before I exhaust one out of my ~10,000 write cycles. Multiply that out and it would take 360,000 days of using my machine the way I have been for the past two weeks for all of my NAND to wear out; once again, assuming perfect wear leveling. That’s 986 years. Your NAND flash cells will actually lose their charge well before that time comes, in about 10 years.

It's interesting that so many people seem to be assuming the prices on Intel g2 drives will drop when their 3rd gen products hit the market. I'd be very pleased to see such a scenario occur, but counting on it is folly. Anyone remember what happened with Radeon 5850/5870 prices back in 2009? What if Intel's 3rd gen ssds aren't priced low enough to put pressure on retailers older 2nd gen stock? Intel's brand new 510 series ain't exactly low priced, but their mainstream g3 products should be lower priced.

I bought this drive two days ago from amazon for $240.. figures.

Really a great drive though, would highly recommend it. Fast reads, decent write speeds, and system boots up incredibly fast.

Best upgrade anyone could make right now.

I bit, good enough deal for me. Glad I waited one day. I almost ordered in yesterday before this deal.

Deal is over now, but we've got reviews popping up on Intel's 510 series.

Anand Lal Shimpi said:
The 510 is most interesting over a 6Gbps interface. Connected to a 3Gbps interface the drive is quick, but fails to distance itself from the high end drives of last year. This is the same conclusion I came to when I previewed the Vertex 3. These next-generation SSDs not only use 6Gbps SATA, they really need it.

Worse is that random read has gotten slower. Ugh. Higher sequential read in exchange for lower random read? If you're a desktop user who isn't moving huge volumes of data on a regular basis, 3rd gen ssds probably aren't worth the added cost. Without SATA III, it's definitely not worth it.

This news kind of makes me regret recently purchasing my C300 128GB to replace my Intel 80GB G2. :(

Darn it!

And damn the person that told me the C300 was the fastest SSD out at the time. Per that review, it doesn't even look like it competes with the top SSD's out.

Guess I should learn to read more.

News Flash.. 510 Series is already out.. & there not driving down prices currently.. Corsair also has there next gen already out on newegg as well (performance 3) the big drops everyone is anticipating haven't been anything substantial.

News Flash.. 510 Series is already out..

Guess you didn't notice the multiple posts about the Intel 510 up above.

This news kind of makes me regret recently purchasing my C300 128GB to replace my Intel 80GB G2. :(

Darn it!

And damn the person that told me the C300 was the fastest SSD out at the time. Per that review, it doesn't even look like it competes with the top SSD's out.

Guess I should learn to read more.

Don't slam yourself too hard, because the c300 are excellent ssds with very good reliability vs the iffy track records of some other manufacturers. Really, the main thing is to just get your foot in the door with a good ssd and you've definitely done that. Nitpicking over sequential/random speeds or specs is mostly pointless unless it affects your business or work; 95% of people will never notice the difference between the fastest ssds and the middle of the pack stuff.

Makes me wonder if we would ahve seen different performance if Intel would have used their own controller instead of Marvell.

O well, I'll sit back and wait for the 25nm info to come out and see the performance. Looking forward to making the jump to SSD.

Makes me wonder if we would ahve seen different performance if Intel would have used their own controller instead of Marvell.

O well, I'll sit back and wait for the 25nm info to come out and see the performance. Looking forward to making the jump to SSD.

What's interesting is that the various articles from PCPer/Anandtech/etc tout these 510 series drives as Intel's counter to the higher performing Sandforce products. The actual 3rd gen x25-m follow up products are expected to both be less expensive and lower performing. I'm sure many of us are rather anxious to see just how much cheaper the prices will be and what the performance hit, if any, will be versus Intel's 2nd gen ssds. Maybe we'll finally see MSRPs close to the $1 per GB ratio.

Combined with proper CPU multitheading and widespread ssd adoption, the improvements in apps would be huge. As a gamer I'd love to see better streaming technologies like what we saw with the original Dungeon Siege almost a decade ago. Fuck those damnable loading screens seen in most games!

Anand Lal Shimpi said:
The “G3” we’ve all been waiting for will still come. That’ll be Intel’s first 25nm SSD and it should carry specs similar to what we already published. However the focus of the drive will be the mainstream. To take care of the high end Intel created a new drive: the Intel SSD 510 (codename Elmcrest) and it uses a Marvell 9174 6Gbps controller.

Back