Intel Up In Servers, AMD Wins In PCs

HardOCP News

[H] News
The numbers are in and it looks like Intel is reclaiming ground lost to AMD in the server market, while AMD is grabbing more of the desktop PC market.

Overall, AMD continued its gain in the x86 processor market, said Mercury Research analyst Dean McCarron. The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company had 25.3 percent of chip shipments in the fourth quarter of 2006, an increase from 23.3 percent from the year-earlier quarter and the highest number in its history.

Interesting in that AMD is losing their strongest ground, I would have thought the complete opposite.

Although I am a fan of the underdog here, I do believe it is good for AMD to catch up a bit more to Intel. This will provide some good, and fierce competition between these two companies. Either way, we win :D

Interesting in that AMD is losing their strongest ground, I would have thought the complete opposite.

I figure the Dell rollout had to help them here ... and if you read other reports, their prices were slashed which help rolls out units (1 low end chip counts the same as one high end chip).

What's telling is Intel increased their server market share while raising ASP 30%, and AMD lost market share while decreasing their ASP 30%. So if you look at server revenue share Intel is much higher.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/01/30/technology/intel_amd.reut/index.htm?postversion=2007013019

Back