Intel Unveils New 3D NAND Solid State Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Intel introduced six new 3D NAND solid state drives (SSDs) to meet the needs of consumer, business, Internet of Things and data center applications. The new Intel® 3D NAND SSDs offer a cost-effective replacement for traditional hard disk drives to help customers accelerate user experiences, improve the performance of apps and services across segments, and also reduce IT costs.

These new SSDs reflect Intel’s 30-year commitment to memory technologies and our long-term plan to transform the economics of storage with trusted, breakthrough 3D NAND technology from Intel,” Bill Leszinske, Intel Vice President and Director of Strategic Planning, Marketing and Business Development for NSG said. “Intel is uniquely positioned to address multiple market segments simultaneously from consumer to business, Internet of Things and data center. This broad array of new 3D NAND SSDs expands the reach of PCIe solutions and offers a cost effective replacement for traditional Hard Disk Drives, helping customers accelerate user experiences, improve the performance of apps and services and reduce IT costs.
 
My first reaction is about this related to the consumer parts:
Intel has now developed advanced Intel® 3D NAND SSDs with PCIe for greater performance at near-SATA prices.

I mean if they are around SATA prices what is the point of the 600p 128GB and 256GB models?
 
Last edited:
My first reaction is about this related to the consumer parts:

I mean if they are around SATA prices what is the point of the 600p 128GB and 256GB models?

From the website, although write performance is about SATA levels, read performance is vastly higher than the SATA3 max.

Or, did you mean because of the size? In which case I'd say that 256GB SSDs are still super popular and make a great OS drive.
 
I'd say that 256GB SSDs are still super popular and make a great OS drive.

I was talking about price especially for the 128GB model. I mean are they going to sell a $50 M.2 drive? Although I suspect they are considering the high end of consumer SATA prices as their comparison.
 
Extremely disappointing. 1/4 the speed of the Samsung units from 2 years ago doesn't say much in the way of performance and really isn't worth mentioning.
 
Extremely disappointing. 1/4 the speed of the Samsung units from 2 years ago doesn't say much in the way of performance and really isn't worth mentioning.

Really? You think a sequential read of 1.8Gbps for under $.40/GB is disappointing?
 
Extremely disappointing. 1/4 the speed of the Samsung units from 2 years ago doesn't say much in the way of performance and really isn't worth mentioning.

It's the price that's worth mentioning. From the Techreport article: "At costs per gigabyte ranging from 53 cents for the 128GB drive to just 35 cents for the 1TB model..."

The Samsung 950 Pro drives are $188 for the 256GB and $318 for the 512GB. The Intel 600p line is undercutting that by a lot, with the 256GB at $104 and the 512GB at $189. And Intel has a 1TB for $359 while Samsung does not until their 960 Pro line gets released, whenever that happens.
 
Perhaps this will be good competition for Samsung once the drives come to market. Right now Samsung is running away with things with no real competition from anyone else.

Mainstream cost per gigabyte and performance have pretty much stalled out. We desperately need U.2 or standard. SATA 3 allowed the headroom for these devices and right now there is nearly no headroom left unless you go directly through PCIE.

Competition is always good for consumers and enthusiasts. I wish they'd get together for the good of everyone and come out with SATA 4.
 
I wish they'd get together for the good of everyone and come out with SATA 4.

The idea of SATA 4 implies a doubling of SATA 3's speed of 600MB/sec. SATA Express (SATA 3.2) is 2000 MB/sec. And that was dead on arrival because NVME over m.2 or u.2 with PCI-E 3.0 x4 gets 3938 MB/sec. Getting SATA up to where NVME was 3 years ago would require much greater power consumption than NVME. There isn't going to be a SATA 4.
 
The idea of SATA 4 implies a doubling of SATA 3's speed of 600MB/sec. SATA Express (SATA 3.2) is 2000 MB/sec. And that was dead on arrival because NVME over m.2 or u.2 with PCI-E 3.0 x4 gets 3938 MB/sec. Getting SATA up to where NVME was 3 years ago would require much greater power consumption than NVME. There isn't going to be a SATA 4.

Yep. SATA isn't going anywhere. U.2 for cabled drives and m.2 for gumstick drives are where it's going. I expect to see less and less SATA connectors as we progress, especially with SSDs (at least in the enterprise space) getting up to ridiculous sizes. In less than two years we'll have 10+ TB SSDs for sale for $0.30/GB or less.
 
I used to sell and install 10TB ioDrive Octals for several customers over 5 years ago.

Each card cost $250,000. We'd put 4 in a box in a raid10 and throw databases on top of it.

Still cheaper than buying a SAN at the time, and way way wayyy more performant.
 
I used to sell and install 10TB ioDrive Octals for several customers over 5 years ago.

Each card cost $250,000. We'd put 4 in a box in a raid10 and throw databases on top of it.

Still cheaper than buying a SAN at the time, and way way wayyy more performant.

The day.. the nanosecond that I can get an SSD card that has 10-50tb on it with inline dedupe using an x16 slot I will probably never use a SAN again. Already I am using data replication from servers as my HA solution. I cannot wait for this.
 
Well, there are already 15TB SSDs in the wild that you can slap any form of software-defined dedupe/compression onto... so what is stopping you?
 
There are some 60TB 3.5" SSDs supposedly coming out in the next year as well =P
 
Back
Top