• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Ultra-Thin Mobile Platform Preview

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
2FA
Joined
May 18, 1997
Messages
58,459
Intel Ultra-Thin Mobile Platform Preview - Intel has announced plans for complete domination of the mobile market using new ultra-low voltage processors, a cool and sexy ultra-thin form factor and the promise to provide consumers with a full PC experience without sacrificing mobility.


We had the opportunity to attend Intel’s global webcast for the launch of the Montevina Plus mobile platform today live from Computex 2009. The host of the event was Nick Knupffer, Intel’s Global Communications Manager and Uday Marty, Director of Product Marketing for the Mobile Platforms Group, was the featured speaker.
 
See? Somebody knows what they're doing. Sort of.

Ever since I heard about AMD Neo, I've been waiting for it. And you know what? The HP DV2 is almost perfect. I'm just not a fan of HPs design... or AMD Neo being outclassed by Intel ULV.

A netbook is too limited in capabilities (PDF scrolling sucks), 15" laptops are too big, and 13" laptops don't have the netbook battery life.

Ultraportables are the way to go, if the price is right. Anybody else remember Acer announcing those Timeline series notebooks? That's what I'm talking about. Core 2 Duo ULV, GS40, 60 Whr batteries, LED backlit screens, lightweight (2kg max), and most importantly, well priced. I hate Intel integrated graphics as much as the next guy, but I guess you can't have everything. And if it plays Civ4... that'll be enough. Besides, a 9400M would cut into battery life.

The question is... what do we do with our netbooks in a year or two?
 
1243913593kK4o2W6hXk_1_7_l.jpg


That is quite the forecast...
 
Ultraportables are the way to go, if the price is right. Anybody else remember Acer announcing those Timeline series notebooks? That's what I'm talking about. Core 2 Duo ULV, GS40, 60 Whr batteries, LED backlit screens, lightweight (2kg max), and most importantly, well priced. I hate Intel integrated graphics as much as the next guy, but I guess you can't have everything. And if it plays Civ4... that'll be enough. Besides, a 9400M would cut into battery life.

The question is... what do we do with our netbooks in a year or two?

Somebody called me this morning saying their notebook broke, and they wanted a new one ASAP. They were already at Wal-mart, and asked me what I thought of some notebook they were looking at. They read off multiple UPC, item codes, etc. and I wasn't having any luck with Google. Finally, they tell me the right one (the model number 5810TZ-4657), I look it up and see 1.3Ghz processor. I say to them "1.3Ghz? That's slower than Atom netbooks." They said ok, they'd look somewhere else. I then started trying to read as much as I could (didn't make sense to me how a 1.3Ghz system could cost $600 when most netbooks at 1.6Ghz were $200-300) It wasn't easy learning about this new processor because they were looking at a notebook with this processor BEFORE this article was even put up.

I called them back and corrected myself after reading multiple things on engadget, so now they're the proud new owner of a LED backlit screen, ULV processor, multitouch trackpad, WWAN and 802.11b/g/n notebook (not netbook).
 
Besides, a 9400M would cut into battery life.

IIRC, the 9400M actually saves battery usage...so score one for gamers!

I hate to link to tom's, but it's the first google result.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-ion-atom,2153-10.html

EDIT: Ahhh I see Intel has released a new graphics chipset, GS40. I would wait until tests are in to confirm whether it uses more or less power than the 9400M. If it does save a lot of power vs. the 9400M, I wouldn't be surprised if nvidia decided to release a die shrink of the 9400M, which is due soon.
 
I wish they could offer those battery lifetimes for gaming oriented laptops... Mine lasts for a good 30 minutes before it hibernates mid-game...

Something else I noticed is that the reason I don't take my laptop anywhere is because EVERYWHERE I GO THERE IS A COMPUTER. :p
 
Finally, they tell me the right one (the model number 5810TZ-4657),

Quite. 5810, 4810, and 3810 are the new Timeline series from Acer. I've yet to see reviews, but I was immediately impressed by a) the price point b) the power in the form factor. But if they don't include an external DVD writer, they're not scoring as many points as a DV2 in my book. Close though. Close. I wonder how the battery life is on those notebooks during light usage though.

Intel ULV will trump Atom any time of the day... just that Atom (as a platform) takes up about 10W, and ULV processors take up 10W by themselves.

IIRC, the 9400M actually saves battery usage...so score one for gamers!

That's true. It'd be silly to make something like the 9400M without powersaving functions. I suppose you could say battery life would be fine under 2D, and that under 3D battery life is going to suck anyways. I just hope the cooling solutions don't compromise usage experience. The GS40 will win out in battery life though, I think. The newer Intel chipsets (go screw yourself 945GSE) sip compared to proper IGPs.


I wish they could offer those battery lifetimes for gaming oriented laptops... Mine lasts for a good 30 minutes before it hibernates mid-game...

During gaming? You wish. 2D? The Toshiba X305 and the Alienware M17x both offer a hybrid solution that uses an IGP while in 2D. I don't know if any other laptops are like that though (maybe AMD-based laptops with HD3200s).
 
I wish they could offer those battery lifetimes for gaming oriented laptops... Mine lasts for a good 30 minutes before it hibernates mid-game...

Something else I noticed is that the reason I don't take my laptop anywhere is because EVERYWHERE I GO THERE IS A COMPUTER. :p

"gaming oriented laptops" 3 words combined that dosn't make sense...
 
Quite. 5810, 4810, and 3810 are the new Timeline series from Acer. I've yet to see reviews, but I was immediately impressed by a) the price point b) the power in the form factor. But if they don't include an external DVD writer, they're not scoring as many points as a DV2 in my book. Close though. Close. I wonder how the battery life is on those notebooks during light usage though.
.

According to 'independent' testing studios 9.5 hours. Actual hands on experience over at Engadget is seeing about 8-9 hours on light use. The 5810 at least comes with a DVD burner, I think the 4810 does too.
 
Something looks wrong there...

1243913593kK4o2W6hXk_1_6_l.jpg


Not predicting netbook growth doesnt sound smart. They may be calling them 'recession laptops' or whatever, but I think they are here to stay. Not just for the weight difference but size as well. Ultra-thins are still 13+ inches wide, which is too big for real portability.

I'm guessing margins are way too low on netbooks and intel doesnt really want to sell them, when they can sell a 'sexy', 'ultra-thin' expensive laptop.

TW_NTBKS1008.gif
 
Something looks wrong there...

1243913593kK4o2W6hXk_1_6_l.jpg


Not predicting netbook growth doesnt sound smart. They may be calling them 'recession laptops' or whatever, but I think they are here to stay. Not just for the weight difference but size as well. Ultra-thins are still 13+ inches wide, which is too big for real portability.

I'm guessing margins are way too low on netbooks and intel doesnt really want to sell them, when they can sell a 'sexy', 'ultra-thin' expensive laptop.

TW_NTBKS1008.gif

The first graph says that the strongest growth in laptop form factor is <= 14 inch and >= 16 inch. A 7 inch netbook is <14 inches, no?
 
Nice slides and graphs. Notebooks are really becoming good these days. Still missing better battery life and that extra oomph in graphics. Sad that Intel's integrated gpu's sucks, hopefully there will soon enough be new mobile chips from amd and nvidia. Lower power consumption and better performance.
 
The first graph says that the strongest growth in laptop form factor is <= 14 inch and >= 16 inch. A 7 inch netbook is <14 inches, no?

Nah look at the little grey bar at the bottom, the 7-12 inch category includes netbooks and stays between 2-3%. If the intel graph showed the 6% -> 11% growth from that reuters graph, netbook sales growth would eat into the growth of other models. The intel graph just shows 15'' models shrinking in growth.
 
Posting this from my Timeline 5810TZ-4657 and I can backup the claims that this little notebook (not netbook, though you could call it one) goes for 8 hours with light usage. Typing in office or surfing the web is decent and its responsive even though it only has a 1.3GHz processor.

It can't play HD youtube videos though, as it needs a faster processor but it can play HQ video just fine. This is my first notebook and I am loving it! :D
 
I am waiting for a good netbook.

Thin
Duel core
gameable
Docking Station
at least 720p

I will be waiting a while.
 
if they had a 330 version of my N10, I'd be fine
I can play crysis on low as it is, so I'm happy!
 
I love having my centrino, even though it is 4500MHD, i can play most games on lowest settings and get 2 hours or so on a 15" screen. blows my old amd/nvidia combo out of the sky.
 
I own a HP DV2; I chose it because with the athlon Neo and Ati 3410 it has a lot more potential uses for me that the typical netbooks available. I got it from Costco for ~650 CAD, which is certainly a premium over typical netbooks, but worth it.

It has a few drawbacks though; it runs hot, battery life isn't near as good as netbooks, and the dv2 could really use an esata port. The 1.6ghz Neo isn't a powerhouse, but it puts on a respectable showing.

There is a dual core Turion Neo available now in the HP DV2z. I'd really like to upgrade to that, I think it would remedy almost all of the CPU shortcomings in the original DV2. Add a SSD and Windows 7 (instead of the bundled Vista) and it might really impress.
 
Back
Top