Intel Turbo Memory

zoobaby

Supreme [H]ardness
I don't see a thread dedicated to this module. I did some searching elsewhere and there doesn't seem to be a huge benefit to using one of these right now. Am I wrong?

Main benefit I have seen: More battery time, depending on what you are doing 10 to 30 minutes extra time. (A bit greener.)

Main detraction: Software not ready to take full advantage of the memory. (sound like it is more of a MS issue so likely to never see it as I think Vista is going the way of ME.)

Anyone done direct testing? I just have seen an older article by Anadtech on it. Opinions?

On my T41, I have this however I can't say if I see a direct benefit or not as I've not tested with it off and so on.

I read somewhere that it offers some benefit on lower spec'd system in the terms of RAM. Elsewise it's not doing much but it's there to do two things, ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive. I can't be sure if I've benefited from it or not yet. But I've no issue with it however, the downside is that it only works on Windows.

Though in Ubuntu they will see this as an additional toy you can mount and modify it to your usage (assigning swap to it or something of the likes.)

You don't have it on a T41. Maybe you meant to say T61?

I had one come in my T61p. It ended up causing more problems than helping, so I ended up pulling the thing out, and it's sitting in an anti-static bag in my closet.

I wouldn't pay extra for it, as it never really worked right for me. I could get the ReadyBoost side working, but it would always say ReadyDrive disabled.

You really see the best benefit when you have 1GB RAM max, any more than that and the difference is becomes more and more negligible.

I posted a thread about the same thing a while back and it seems not many people have it. I heard at one point Intel had issues with vendors implementing it. I have a 4gig card on my Sager NP 5797. Now my laptop is decked out with almost every bell and whistle. I tried a 32gig ssd card and Turbo Memory off for two weeks and saw no benefit which is what I had been told as I have a ton of ram. I disabled Ready boost I started manually adding programs to the Turbo Memory dashboard like word, excel, outlook, media player the game Prey which was small enough to fit on the 4 gig stick, thought I only have 4% left open. Everything I put on the turbo memory loaded much faster and was much more responsive. I have since removed Prey ( beat it) and added my video editing software and man it runs so much better. I hoping they will come out with a bigger module soon as I think it is well worth it.

Laptop Specs:
Make: Sager
Model: NP 5797
Proc: X9100
Ram: 4 gigs
Video: Geforce go 9800gtx 1 gig
HDD: 320gig 7200rpm
Intel Turbo Memory: 4gig
32gig SSD: used for Storage and secure encryption key.

PS: One thing to note! If you use the turbo memory go to the console and turn off Ready Boost! other wise Vista will try to use the space on the chip for their needs and since the module does not show up under my computer you won't even know it.. I left ready drive on but I'm still not sure what benifit or disadvantage it has.

With the first generation, the 1 gb versions, they are said to only really help, though very little, w/a system w/very little main memory, 512 mb for example. Once you add to the main memory, it becomes really of no noticiable use.

Intel is working on improving it, releasing a new generation, w/4 gb. That may help, since most laptops are maxed out w/4 gb of main memory, and using the 64 bit versions of Vista.

The Intel driver/software has been updated too, so that may help.

I think the bigger the Turbo memory gets, w/improved driver/software from Intel, the better, more noticiable it gets.
I've seen no reviews w/the 4 gb versions.

Hi There

I got a Windows Vista 64bit System (SP1), 4GB of Ram, downloaded the latest Drivers (1.7.0.1029), and the Device manager recognizes the module.:)

Only thing, the Intel Turbo Memory Dashboard, tells me that the Turbo Memory is not working.:mad:

Any one a clue??

How long ago did you gave up?

I am a stubborn person, and more then that I hate to spend money on something that doesnt work. But your suggestion is apreciated ;)

I could get the ReadyBoost side working, but it would always say ReadyDrive disabled.

I had the same issue on a machine that had 2gigs of ddr2 667mhz RAM and 2gigs of turbo memory.

to the OP: my qualitative experience has been that the machine doesn't really feel much faster with turbo memory. If it's truly just the equivalent of plugging in a usb flash drive to supply readyboost only and not readydrive, then it's really not much help when you have plenty of RAM to begin with :/

How long ago did you gave up?

I am a stubborn person, and more then that I hate to spend money on something that doesnt work. But your suggestion is apreciated ;)

After about 4 months of trying, 3 reformats just to see if I could fix it, and at least a half dozen different drivers.

You can use the Turbo Cards as a full Ready Boost card. So if anyone buys one, get the 4 gb one.

The Turbo card has both ReadyDrive and ReadyBoost, w/50% of the memory going to each. You can shut off either one, giving the active one 100% of the memory.

You can use the Turbo Cards as a full Ready Boost card. So if anyone buys one, get the 4 gb one.

The Turbo card has both ReadyDrive and ReadyBoost, w/50% of the memory going to each. You can shut off either one, giving the active one 100% of the memory.

Did you manage to get the Turbo Memory Running? Under Vista Home Premium, 64 Bit ?

sorry to bump this thread but I have a quick question.

I have a Laptop running 4GB of ram already and am able to get a 4GB Turbo memory card for about 50$ from a friend. Would I need a x64 OS for all that memory to be recognized? Thanks.

sorry to bump this thread but I have a quick question.

I have a Laptop running 4GB of ram already and am able to get a 4GB Turbo memory card for about 50$ from a friend. Would I need a x64 OS for all that memory to be recognized? Thanks.

Only the 64 bit version of Windows (Server, XP, Vista) will see, and be able to use, the full 4 gb of your RAM. The 32 bit sees, and is able to use, around 3.25 gb.

As for the your 4 gb of Turbo Memory, that is not seen as regular memory. It is for Microsoft's ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive, w/it's memory adjustable between the two, in their Vista, or newer OS's. With that, it should see the full 4 gb, though I can't confirm it, since I only have the 1 gb Turbo Memory Card in my laptop.

I forgot to post above I'm running the 64 bit version. Mine is working great. I have ver. 1.0.7.1029. I did see an improvement as I posted above thought I did not do any true benchmarks. I do have ready boost and ready drive disabled I use it soly for turbo ache.

Only the 64 bit version of Windows (Server, XP, Vista) will see, and be able to use, the full 4 gb of your RAM. The 32 bit sees, and is able to use, around 3.25 gb.

As for the your 4 gb of Turbo Memory, that is not seen as regular memory. It is for Microsoft's ReadyBoost and ReadyDrive, w/it's memory adjustable between the two, in their Vista, or newer OS's. With that, it should see the full 4 gb, though I can't confirm it, since I only have the 1 gb Turbo Memory Card in my laptop.

Thanks, I'll take a chance and grab a 4GB one.

So turbo Memory is basically like having a very small SSD that you can cache your most used programs too?

pretty much except you choose which programs to load. An example: I cleared enough room to install Prey. The game did run better. Loads were much faster.

So turbo Memory is basically like having a very small SSD that you can cache your most used programs too?

Only the 2GB/4GB sticks do that I believe, application pinning doesn't seem to be supported by the 1GB modules, there's no options in the Intel terminal.

I have the XPS M1330 and original install did come with the Driver installed. I don't know if i'm using it now or not...

but I did notice people saying here that 4GB is max in laptops. This is not true. Dell released new BIOS for M1330 enabling 8GB.

Back