Intel to Pay AMD $1.25B in Antitrust Settlement

HardOCP News

[H] News
It's all over folks, Intel and AMD have settled their differences and all lawsuits have been dropped. Intel has agreed to pay $1.25 billion to AMD and they will drop any pending litigation.

Under terms of the agreement, the two companies will obtain patent rights from a new five-year cross-license agreement and will give up any claims of breach from the previous license agreement. In addition, Intel will pay AMD $1.25 billion and has agreed to "abide by a set of business practice provisions." In turn, AMD says it will drop all pending litigation, including the case in U.S. District Court in Delaware and two cases pending in Japan, and will also withdraw all of its regulatory complaints worldwide.

$1.25B, but of course Intel is 100% innocent and just paying this minor amount of money to avoid the hassle. (*cough cough*)

Yup, Nothing like a "hey that was illegal give us 1 quarter of your profits" and "oh btw we raked in almost another billion in stocks the next morning!"

Probably doesn't cover their losses and wont make them what they could have been, but it beats a sharp stick in the eye,

Thats a lot of debt they can get rid of. I bet their 4th quarter results are going to look good too. I guess the CEO made good on his promise to be profitable by years end :).

It's too bad that AMD got screwed over in the first place during those Athlon 64 years. We'd probably all be happier with two strong companies. Hopefully this will make it easier for AMD to get back.

If Intel really did employ anti-competitive practices within the US (that is one of AMD's claim right?) then the DOJ should still go after them. If they don't this will look more like a shakedown than anything else.

I hope AMD get their shit together on the CPU side. My preference is buying from the smaller company all other things being equal.

well if one of the pc makers complain that they were "forced" to buy intel over amd or else get punished and had to scrap plans they had to offer cheaper and better amd products... they could make a case.

wonder would this effect their appeals in the EU... or if they will just quietly settle that as well as opposed to causing a big stink and maybe dragging in the DOJ?

Wonder if the NYAG pressing charges convinced Intel to settle for fear of a snowballs effect?

So much of Intel giving AMD 60 days ultimatum for creating Globalfoundries, someone said that AMD can't produce x86 CPU anymore after the 60 days, now look what happened. I guess that AMD64 and IMC now are more important to Intel than x86 alone

And up 200%+ is 9 months.

Who else is loving AMD right now? :D:D

I've always loved AMD. I've never built an Intel system for myself since my first AMD build, a 486dx4 120mhz.

Hector Ruiz needs to burn for what he's done to AMD the past several years.

I hope they use the $1.25 billion wisely and not squander it on anything wasteful.

If Intel really did employ anti-competitive practices within the US (that is one of AMD's claim right?) then the DOJ should still go after them. If they don't this will look more like a shakedown than anything else.

Indeed.

The trouble is our government is run by lobbyists. Eliminate them and a lot of shit will get done.

I don't suppose there are lobbyists in Europe as well? Perhaps called by another name - advisers or representatives or something?

In addition to the money, the agreement bans intel from further anticompetitive practices. That is probably more valuable to AMD in the long run than $1.25b.

For all of you guys who had a friend, or was the "friend" who had a P4 while the other dude, or you had a AMD.

The intel guy said OMFG INTEL IS THE BEST.
and you came with a cpu at the fraction of the price and playd for instance warcraft 3, like I did.
Well, to get to the point, my loading was twice as fast, and my cpu was 33% cheaper, i remember the first lan with that guy.

Not only that, the stock cooler that came with couldnt cool it, overheated, first lan he ended up having a desk fan blowing inside his case, the next lan, he just got his zalman cooler(which was the best at the time :) ) (except watercooling, and extreme cooling ofc)
But still, it wasnt much overclock headroom, he narrowed my lead down, until i overclocked.

I don't suppose there are lobbyists in Europe as well? Perhaps called by another name - advisers or representatives or something?
There certanly is.
They are less corrupt than american goverment, just give EU some time :) they havnt figured out much dirty stuff about eachother and figured out who they can pay.

I hope AMD get their shit together on the CPU side. My preference is buying from the smaller company all other things being equal.

I think we all can blame Ruiz to making a immaginary chip that could withstand 300C.
He might have Jesus in his name, but he was no saviour, like "jesus" was.

Yea lets hope AMD gets their crap together and starts becoming a force again. My question is, what happens in 5 years when this licensing agreement is over?

Yea lets hope AMD gets their crap together and starts becoming a force again. My question is, what happens in 5 years when this licensing agreement is over?

Nothing's gonna happen of course. The world's ending in 2012. Haven't you heard? :D

I agree, ant-trust issues go beyond just protecting other companies, it also protects the consumer too.

The trouble is our government is run by lobbyists. Eliminate them and a lot of shit will get done.

They are lobbyist in Europe. HOWEVER the line between lobbying and bribery is alot closer to bribery in Europe then it is in Europe.

A company cannot just "inject" cash into an MEP or MP as blatantly as occurs in the US.
It was when Microsoft tried lobbying tactics in the EU vs MS case (the office format for ISO) that MS ran foul of and are being investigated

I hope AMD dumps that money into R&D & gives us a rocking cpu next go round...

Money changes hands and everything is swept quietly under the rug. Not quite sure how I feel about that.:confused:

Lobbyists are certainly a problem, but only insomuch as politicians allow them to be. If politicians would find rediscover the principles this country was founded on and tell special interests (big corporation, unions, activists, etc.) they aren't getting any special treatment (via new laws and regulations) nor tax dollars lobbyists would cease to be the giant problem they currently are.

If you can get past this guy's obnoxious hand gestures he sums up what i'm saying pretty well near the end of this video (at about the 1:30 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZ0nz7XVFo

This is actually better then it sounds. With the 1.25B they also have the lawsuits and licensing agreements redone to allow global foundries.

Lobbyists are certainly a problem, but only insomuch as politicians allow them to be. If politicians would find rediscover the principles this country was founded on and tell special interests (big corporation, unions, activists, etc.) they aren't getting any special treatment (via new laws and regulations) nor tax dollars lobbyists would cease to be the giant problem they currently are.

If you can get past this guy's obnoxious hand gestures he sums up what i'm saying pretty well near the end of this video (at about the 1:30 mark): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzZ0nz7XVFo

That's impossible with the current trend. You'd see no matter the government system, either Communist, Capitalist or Feudalistic. Once the Government gets too big the Corruption is meant to happen. A big Government will always be a Corrupt one with much more impact than a small Government who's also Corrupted. In conclusion, Corruption in itself is not the problem. Is the impact of that Corruption over the society you should be worried about. An Impact that is brought by the size and power of a government over its citizens.

Right. I'm not saying lobbyists are the problem. I'm saying the government is run by them. If lobbyists do what they're supposed to do - make recommendations and keep the government informed instead of giving them money to "convince" the government to support their agenda - there wouldn't be a problem.

It's perfectly natural for lobbyists to want their agenda supported. After all, they're working for the company they're pushing for support.

For example, I do not have a problem with the RIAA standing on a soapbox during a congressional session ranting about the problems of piracy. I do have a problem with the RIAA inviting each congressmen and women to lunch and promising each of them millions in campaign support and votes on a condition that their agenda is heard and supported.

I'm fairly certain it's illegal if you see it as bribery, but there might be a lot of loopholes, such as calling the exchange "campaign contributions".

I'm glad the EU did something about Intel's anti-trust violation where our government doesn't have the guts to stand up against large corporation in fear of losing support and money.

Same song, second verse?

I mean, what is to stop intel from saying, NO MORE X86 FOR YOU! Unless I misunderstand the agreement. I thought this is for allowing global foundries to produce x86 processors. Anyway, will their patent eventually run out, so no more issues who can and can't make x86 processors? Or is there something else that gives Intel control over it?

So what did Intel actually ilegally do that was against the law to AMD to keep them from competing? I don't keep up with processor battles...

Just curious.. Want to make sure this isn't one of those.. I can't compete with you because your business strategies are too good, and my ceo ran me into the ground, so we'll just sue you to take the money you earned type anti-trust lawsuits, that so often happen (90%) of the time..

Back