Intel to mass produce 3D transistors for all future CPUs, starting with Ivy Bridge

Jon55

2[H]4U
From the engadget article:

Looks like 3D isn't just a fad, folks, so long as we're talking about silicon -- Intel just announced that it has invented a 3D "Tri-Gate" transistor that will allow the company to keep shrinking chips, Moore's Law naysayers be darned. Intel says the transistors will use 50 percent less power, conduct more current and provide 37 percent more speed than their 2D counterparts thanks to vertical fins of silicon substrate that stick up through the other layers, and that those fancy fins could make for cheaper chips too -- currently, though, the tri-gate tech adds an estimated 2 to 3 percent cost to existing silicon wafers. Intel says we'll see the new technology first in its 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs, going into mass production in the second half of the year, and it's planning 14nm chips in 2013 and 10nm chips in 2015. Also, 3D transistors won't be limited to the cutting edge -- Intel reps told journalists that they "will extend across the entire range of our product line," including mobile devices.

Intel press release statement can be found here.

This looks pretty interesting. Some awesome numbers, but wouldn't moving from 32nm to 22nm do most of this anyway (could be totally wrong on that)?

My bad, just realized there was already a thread on this here. Mods, feel free to delete this.

I am sure glad I decided to wait for Ivy Bridge. It looks like it will be a large jump in technology with the increased speed from the 3D transistors and die shrink. The power supply companies need catch up and make some that are 90% efficient running say 10-150W. Currently their is an extremely thin selection for efficient low wattage power supplies or they cost too much.

This looks pretty interesting. Some awesome numbers, but wouldn't moving from 32nm to 22nm do most of this anyway (could be totally wrong on that)?

One of the issues with smaller processes is current leakage, something this addresses.

Some awesome numbers, but wouldn't moving from 32nm to 22nm do most of this anyway (could be totally wrong on that)?
Yeah, but not enough. In the PDF of the presentation it shows how tri-gate transistors perform significantly better (faster switching times and lower power at "the same performance") than planar transistors would have at 22nm. http://download.intel.com/newsroom/kits/22nm/pdfs/22nm-Announcement_Presentation.pdf

This is a VTEC just kicked in yo moment in semiconductor manufacturing.

edit: here's the demo on laptop, server and desktop systems. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB706hhCDZc

(Ivy Bridge graphics are supposed to be 2x faster than Sandy Bridge graphics... that could put IB graphics over Llano graphics.)

Last edited:
Is Ivy going to be yet another socket or will it be 1155 P67/Z68 compatible?

I love it. Ivy Bridge is gonna be one hell of an upgrade and it's a drop in for current Sandy Bridge setups. Outstanding news for anyone who has or is contemplating building a new SB setup. :D

GooglePicnic_WaffleFries1.jpg

Enjoy your waffle fried based cpu ;)

Mass produced for your consumption

Doesn't sound that impressive compared to the original 1155 Sandy Bridge, except for power consumption and slightly higher clock speeds. Yes it might do integrated graphics better, but this is not an important buying factor for me at least so far.

/ The technology is impressive however. And maybe the 2nd gen of this might be worthwhile to me.

I love Intel's road they're on, with the continuous improvement. QA 101 baby!

Back