Intel to ditch Pentium Name

starhawk said:
iridium... it's one of the 2 heaviest elements known to man (osmium is the other one... and nobody can tell which is heavier for some reason)

info can be found here.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Iridium's atomic number is 77 and it's atomic weight is 192, osmium has 190 (clearly the lighter of the two.) There are 33 elements after iridium, each progressively heavier.I think you need to pay better attention in chem class.

robberbaron said:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Iridium's atomic number is 77 and it's atomic weight is 192, osmium has 190 (clearly the lighter of the two.) There are 33 elements after iridium, each progressively heavier.I think you need to pay better attention in chem class.

Yeah LMAO, somebody is confused...

corran_horn314 said:
the intel spaceheater
or the intel BTUemmiter seem appropriate :)

How about the Intel "Solarphase"?

slogan,"Intel, the next Solar Phase".

Ok that was dumb. :p

Osmium is the densest element known. Its crystal structure makes it very dense. A pice of osmium the size of a brick would weigh approx. 60lb.

Vette

How about Centinium....skip the hex- prefix and go all the way to 100. That should sell quite nicely.

Or perhaps Vaporium....the new Intel processor, with twice the performance, it's just that you can't see it or notice it.

Or maybe Dead-Endium....hey a roadmap can only extend so far into a page :D

Intel Exec: "We need a new name for our processors; the 'Pentium' name just doesn't have as much kick as it used to."

Sarcastic IT guy: "Hey, let's call it the 'Digital'"

Intel Exec: "Holy shit! I don't know what it means, but I like it!"

insanarchist said:
Intel Exec: "We need a new name for our processors; the 'Pentium' name just doesn't have as much kick as it used to."

LOL! So true though.

insanarchist said:

LOL, the real world of business can be pretty funny sometimes.

I hope you're joking when you say that's what the real world is like...

xonik said:
i dunno if he was referring to this, but it was in a dilbert short.. inside of family guy
tongue.gif

emorphien said:
I don't think they should ditch the -ium idea because Pentium is well known and established in the technology market. It sells incredibly well and would be a mistake to get rid of. I'd like to see something along the lines of Octium maybe. Always sounded good to me.

that reminds me of the k8

xonik said:
it's not far from the truth. execs are generally not particularly tech savvy. We make extra data plots that are pretty just to show them although as far as data is concerned they're mostly useless.

an exact quote (well almost) from my advisor here at college:

It's not the job of a company president to know what their company does. They don't know that. All they know is how to run it.

pretty sad if you ask me... i'm planning on having my own computer company and doing it RIGHT.

robberbaron said:

try physics, not chem. and my teacher had a doctorate in her work.

Corvette said:
Osmium is the densest element known. Its crystal structure makes it very dense. A pice of osmium the size of a brick would weigh approx. 60lb.

Vette

56lbs to be more exact (and annoying... sorry) trouble is, iridium is so similar in density, because of the way the atoms are arranged that nobody can figure out which is heavier- the densities are different so the atomic mass doesn't play all that much into it.

starhawk said:
56lbs to be more exact (and annoying... sorry) trouble is, iridium is so similar in density, because of the way the atoms are arranged that nobody can figure out which is heavier- the densities are different so the atomic mass doesn't play all that much into it.

When you have 50 atoms of iridium, and 50 atoms of uranium, the uranium will be more heavy. Mass, not volume, is what matters.

incorrect, mi amigo... seems that iridium & osmium are the densest (heaviest) elements so far known.

trouble is, they're so close, nobody can tell which is heavier.

(yes i know that this sorta contradicts an earlier post. it was incorrect.)

What?!?!?
This is like asking "What is heavier, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?"
They're both a pound, dammit. We're not talking about density here, we're talking about weight. One pound of hydrogen will weight more than .10g of paladium.
Saying that both elements cannot be distinguished between themselves by the weight is wrong. If you put them on a jet-nozzle machine, like what they use to enrich uranium, you will separate the damn metals and find out the heavier.

better tell that to physicists so they can figure it out... cuz last time i checked, they hadn't.

NOW COULD WE PLZ GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK!!!

i think they should name them after the core...like northwood or prescott...that way they could come up with cool names (or hire someone to do so) for their new cores and have cool chip names...

or maybe not...

starhawk said:
better tell that to physicists so they can figure it out... cuz last time i checked, they hadn't.

NOW COULD WE PLZ GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TRACK!!!

You're stating something that isn't factually correct. Please, listen.

1 mole of Uranium will weigh more than 1 mole of Iridium. 1 mole of platinum will weigh more than 1 mole of Iridium. You compare by the weight of the atoms, not density.

plz read the second line of the post you quoted (the line in size-4 red text), robberbrained, and repeat it to yourself... slowly... until you get it.

then i think you will see why i am p*ssed.

starhawk said:
plz read the second line of the post you quoted (the line in size-4 red text), robberbrained, and repeat it to yourself... slowly... until you get it.

then i think you will see why i am p*ssed.

Just trying to help you understand something you don't have a grasp of. I guess I'll back off and let you stay misinformed.

My history teacher had a PhD in, well, history, and thinks that FDR fixed the great depression. Obviously a PhD doesn't mean anything in countless cases.

robberbaron said:
Just trying to help you understand something you don't have a grasp of. I guess I'll back off and let you stay misinformed.

My history teacher had a PhD in, well, history, and thinks that FDR fixed the great depression. Obviously a PhD doesn't mean anything in countless cases.

actually... to tell the truth... Dr. Vic Raymond had a doctorate in microbiology :D
my post about that was misleading on purpose.

and thank you for letting it go.

What?!?!?
This is like asking "What is heavier, a pound of lead or a pound of feathers?"
They're both a pound, dammit. We're not talking about density here, we're talking about weight. One pound of hydrogen will weight more than .10g of paladium.
Saying that both elements cannot be distinguished between themselves by the weight is wrong. If you put them on a jet-nozzle machine, like what they use to enrich uranium, you will separate the damn metals and find out the heavier.

yes!!!111 the new name will be "intel Jet-Nozzle 5000 Giga Ultra Xtreme"

DeFex said:
yes!!!111 the new name will be "intel Jet-Nozzle 5000 Giga Ultra Xtreme"

no. . .get it right. . . "intel Jet-Nozzle 5000 Giga Ultra Xtreme DIGITAL"

Back