Intel Stock HSF stopped working after 1 day

Techx

Supreme [H]ardness
I just put together my new e6750 / ds3r rig last night and am just going to start with the stock intel HSF until I purchase a better one. I installed the HSF with no problems and had it working fine last night, today I boot the system to install xp and the fan looks like it wants to start as it makes a few rotations but then just stops. I don't get it, it's brand new, would there be something in the bios that would keep it from working? There are no wires in the way, it is plugged into the mobo, and I even tried to push it myself to try to get it moving but nothing worked. This sucks since I dont want to wait a week to get a new HSF just to work on this new rig.

thx

Have you tried plugging it into a different 3 pin fan connector on the mobo, just to see if it would spin again?

Have you tried plugging it into a different 3 pin fan connector on the mobo, just to see if it would spin again?

the stock intel HSF is a 4 pin, I did try a different 4 pin connector, still didnt work :(

Make sure it doesn't spin at all before changing it. If it spins when start the computer and randomly stops/starts, then its normal. You can disable that in bios under "CPU Smart Fan Speed Control".

Exactly what hmz said - the fan will only spin when the CPU gets hot enough and when you first boot the machine, it's not usually hot. You can adjust the parameters in BIOS to force it to spin at some minimum speed at room temperature, you can turn off the control so it always spins at full speed or you can set it to work according to some other temperature/speed profile. It all depends on what you want/are comfortable with and what the BIOS supports.

BTW - this confuses a lot of people the first time they see it. It certainly had me going with my first C2D build.

ahahah! what a newb moment, in all my years working on a building pc's I had not run into any bios feature that made the fan NOT run.. I did disable the smart fan bios setting, reconnected the intel fan and it did start working again.. lol... thanks guys :)

was playing crysis demo on this new rig last night, hollly shit :p

Back