Intel SSD Firmware

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
So I haven't heard anything about the latest firmware update killing drives like the last one did. Is it safe to do so? I've heard that the update won't work for a Windows 7 RAID. Is this true? If not, I have a question about installation. The readme says to put the drive into "Legacy" mode, but my only options are IDE, RAID, and AHCI. Somewhere else it says to use AHCI, as well, so if I do install the update, should I set my BIOS to AHCI mode, apply the firmware, then set the BIOS back to RAID?

My drives died last time around, and I'd really like to get this right, this time.

It works flawlessly.
Go to bios set controller to IDE, boot from CD, and do the magic. Restart go to bios and switch back to AHCI or raid.
After win boots up it will "reinstall" drive -reboot when it asks, and when it reboots the performance is back up. At least it was for me, didn't have to wait at all.

when the drives are in RAID0, can you run the TRIM command?

No. TRIM is currently supported only by the default MS drivers. To use RAID, you need to install the Intel drivers, which don't currently support TRIM. If you're not using the default MS drivers for whatever reason, TRIM will not currently work.

You can still do a manual cleanup via the Toolbox without the MS drivers though. I'm not sure if it works in RAID mode or not.

No. TRIM is currently supported only by the default MS drivers. To use RAID, you need to install the Intel drivers, which don't currently support TRIM. If you're not using the default MS drivers for whatever reason, TRIM will not currently work.

You can still do a manual cleanup via the Toolbox without the MS drivers though. I'm not sure if it works in RAID mode or not.
it appears to work on my single X25-M G2 160GB connected to ICH10R and configured as non-member disk
SATA set to RAID in BIOS

My Intel 80GB drive has been running the newer firmware for several days. No issues so far.

One thing I did notice is that the improvement was not immediate after applying the new firmware, but happened gradually over time during use and reboots. Things are running very snappy now.

I don't think it is a matter of the Intel RAID drivers not supporting TRIM pass-through. I think it is the fact that RAID Controllers don't support RAID pass-through yet.

Back