Intel Slams 'Slow' iPhone ARM CPU

HardOCP News

[H] News
A senior Intel executive claimed that any speed shortcomings in Apple's iPhone were the fault of the phone’s ARM processor. These comments were made yesterday at IDF and, as one might imagine, Intel did recommend their own processors for the job.;)

"The shortcomings of the iPhone are not because of Apple," Intel's director of ecosystems for its ultra-mobility group Pankaj Kedia said at the Intel Developer Forum in Taipei, Taiwan. "The shortcomings of the iPhone have come from ARM."

Intel has no room to call ARM slow when they still load up the PC market with POS video chipsets.

Also if Intel's chip is so great, faster usually means less battery life. Which is one thing the iPhone already has and something Intel will do nothing about (they don't make batteries).

I can agree that the cpu isn't the fastest, but until I start to see more Intel processors in mobile phones, they have no room to lash out.

as an iphone user, i agree...
seems like it takes a fair bit to render webpages

when i'm on wifi i'm always waiting on the phone

As far as im aware the power draw on the ARM is more than 75% less an Intel atom (400milliwatts vs 2000milliwatts) so Intel has a LOT of work to do still.

Intel has no room to call ARM slow when they still load up the PC market with POS video chipsets.

POS video chipsets? Care to elaborate?!

As for the iphone processor, yes, it's slow. My 4-5 year old phone has a processor still holding the crown for speed. Quake3 plays great on it.

LOL.... yeah.. intel make FANTASTIC graphics... what planet are you from.. of course intel make POS video chipsets...

:rolleyes: Just because it can't run crysis doesn't mean it's not crap. Not like Apple makes anything that can play full resolution FPS games either :rolleyes:

He meant to really say:

""The shortcomings of the iPhone have come from not running Intel."

Slow ARM processors are super annoying I had an MDA and currently have a Wing and man these things are grueling slow. Luckily there's software that you can use to overclock them which seriously helps out a substantial amount but in the end they are just slow and you get stuck watching that stupid M$ colored roulette wheel spin until eternity.

+1 for Atom powered cellphone

If you want to run full internet, you're going to have to run an Intel-based architecture

Don't tell me what I have to do. It makes me not want to buy from you. As I recall, the G1 uses a Qualcomm processor.

"The shortcomings of the iPhone are not because of Apple," or of any specific CPU/GPU combination. The problems rendering today's modern websites are due to everyone and their mother making ubiquitous use of FLASH. I mean don't get me wrong flash is great for some things just not for EVERYTHING.

A good example of this is HardOCP. Before the website was mostly text and very informative. Now, the site is chock-full to overflowing on the left-hand top and right-hand edges with FLASH objects doing nothing more than spouting commercial blather. I mean commercials are good for supporting a website's income also but it is taken to an EXTREME here in the HardOCP website where most people, like me, come to see what's new in computing, not commercials for everything related to computing.

BTW: Ad-Block Plus FTW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The shortcomings of the iPhone are not because of Apple," or of any specific CPU/GPU combination. The problems rendering today's modern websites are due to everyone and their mother making ubiquitous use of FLASH. I mean don't get me wrong flash is great for some things just not for EVERYTHING.

A good example of this is HardOCP. Before the website was mostly text and very informative. Now, the site is chock-full to overflowing on the left-hand top and right-hand edges with FLASH objects doing nothing more than spouting commercial blather. I mean commercials are good for supporting a website's income also but it is taken to an EXTREME here in the HardOCP website where most people, like me, come to see what's new in computing, not commercials for everything related to computing.

Wow, you came in here and bashed on Kyle and Steve's only source of revenue and then admit to using AdBlock?

Not very bright, are you?

Umm... well I guess then you have issues, my WM devices reads this site just fine... must be an iphone thing or pehaps it's an apple thing where everything apple is perfect, so it must be the other guys.

BTW, like I said, this site loads fine on wm devices. The banners you are talking about are used to generate revenue for the site and to keep things going... don't like it? Leave. You are wasting bandwidth at the cost of sponsors. Using adblock does nothing but waste this sites bandwidth without saying thanks.... it's like not leaving a tip.

As I understand... the Safari browser on the iPhone doesn't support flash.

This site and the forums load and render perfectly on the iPhone. He's just pissy over all the ads on it. Hell, he doesn't even need to see all the ads on an iPhone since the Flash ones don't even render. WTF?

POS video chipsets? Care to elaborate?!

As for the iphone processor, yes, it's slow. My 4-5 year old phone has a processor still holding the crown for speed. Quake3 plays great on it.

:rolleyes: Just because it can't run crysis doesn't mean it's not crap. Not like Apple makes anything that can play full resolution FPS games either :rolleyes:

No but at least nvidia and ATI can make IGP that can play HD content and not offload all the work to the CPU! the GPU actually does the work, intel took the easy way out and dumps the work to the processor.

No but at least nvidia and ATI can make IGP that can play HD content and not offload all the work to the CPU! the GPU actually does the work, intel took the easy way out and dumps the work to the processor.

Totally. Its a good thing that they dumped Intel's IGP. HD playback that was previously using Intel's IGP now happens without 100% CPU usage with nVidia's IGP (all the way down to about 25% now), and it can actually run games like TF2 and COD4 at full resolution at a good framerate. Good luck getting anything above single digit framerates with an Intel IGP without lowering every setting.

To say that Intel makes a good IGP for anything beyond rendering a desktop is delusional. All that they have is a low price point, and nvidia is now getting very competitive in that area.

I'd like to know why it took so long for them to say this? Makes no sense?

It IS crap. I have to give support to these shitty things on a daily basis. Even if we run at 320x240, there is still a delay in the video. All system specs match the requirements, EXCEPT the intel video. weeeeee

It IS crap. I have to give support to these shitty things on a daily basis. Even if we run at 320x240, there is still a delay in the video. All system specs match the requirements, EXCEPT the intel video. weeeeee

It would be great if Intel provided better integrated or low power solutions. I trust that they will though; it clearly is the future considering how both computational power and battery efficiency are being is demanded by portable devices these days.

Im sure you can rig a toaster to play quake 3 these days.

They point is that it can be done, contrary to other posts in this thread complaining about its power. When Carmack says that the iPhone is about as powerful as a Dreamcast or XBox, I don't think power is the main concern, Intel just has sour grapes that they're not collecting revenue from a handset that sold more than the Blackberry did last quarter.

Wow albert, not to bright... You wont be here much longer.

I see WTF posts here all the time, but albert recommending that people adblock the front page is wayyyy the fuck up there.

Kroz - You can hit that little "report post" button and a moderator will take a look at it.

Intel concedes ARM's superiority over Atom, fake iPhone crisis averted

"Intel's low-power Atom processor does not yet match the battery life characteristics of the ARM processor in a phone form factor; and, that while Intel does have plans on the books to get us to be competitive in the ultra low power domain - we are not there as yet. Secondly, Apple's iPhone offering is an extremely innovative product that enables new and exciting market opportunities. The statements made in Taiwan were inappropriate, and Intel representatives should not have been commenting on specific customer designs."

Intel on the damage control over their FUD statement :D
http://www.engadget.com/2008/10/24/intel-concedes-arms-superiority-over-atom-fake-iphone-crisis-a/

Back