Intel Ships 160GB Solid-State Drives

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel has begun shipping its new 160GB solid state drives. These new drives are twice the size of Intel’s 80GB X-25M SSDs that Kyle dissected on video back in September.

Intel is expanding its award-winning Intel® X25-M and X18-M SATA Solid-State Drive (SSD) family by announcing the production release of a 160 gigabyte (GB) capacity drive in a 2.5-inch form factor. The product is shipping now, and a 1.8-inch 160GB version will begin shipping next month.

If you took price out of the equation all together, i'd jump instantly on the SSD bandwagon for a hardrive that makes no noise, no heat, and is ultra durable.

I bet these drives are gonna cost at least a grand, though.

If you took price out of the equation all together, i'd jump instantly on the SSD bandwagon for a hardrive that makes no noise, no heat, and is ultra durable.

I bet these drives are gonna cost at least a grand, though.

If you take the price out of a lot of things, i'd jump on all the goodies..

Reading the title, what I'd hoped for was an increase in capacity for Intel's E series of SSDs. Even so, their M series SSDs are well worth the performance, if price is not a consideration.

Didn't Toshiba just announce a 500GB SSD a few days back?

Man, these things are going to get affordable so fast, I can't wait to have them in my next notebook.

Reading the title, what I'd hoped for was an increase in capacity for Intel's E series of SSDs. Even so, their M series SSDs are well worth the performance, if price is not a consideration.

Are the Intel E SSD's that much better than the Intel M SSD's performance wise? Also, I will assume that 128GB version of the E's will be right around the corner.(what do I know:p though)

I haven't been paying enough attention to SSD's but I really want to get one for my desktop OS drive. Are these the ones everyone was saying to wait for? I want one very soon, at least sometime in 2009.

Are the Intel E SSD's that much better than the Intel M SSD's performance wise? Also, I will assume that 128GB version of the E's will be right around the corner.(what do I know:p though).

bit-tech had an interesting review of the E-series where they reckon the higher write speed is mostly limited to the first write after a format:

Unlike with mechanical or MLC drives where data can be stored in multiple states, the SLC memory only modulates between written and unwritten. This means that once the drive has written to each cell, rewriting to them means the drive must first set the cell from written, to unwritten and then back to written in accordance with the new data, doubling the write times the second time the drive needs to write to that particular cell.

Which sounds pretty disappointing, given the price and capacity. It's not exactly slow, though and I'm still thinking about going fully ssd next time, in my desktop machine at least.

Meh. I'll wait till the tech matures more and the performance increase is greater. The sheer affordability of terabytes of space on HDDs 0is worth the barely noticable hit on hard drive speeds.

I wonder how fast HL2 shit would load with that. Or any game that has to load a lot.

I'm just going to wait for the prices to drop to something decent. At this point HDD's are the better price/performance.

Lol.

Yeah the main interest (at least it should be) is reliability. Plain and simple, for the love of god, better reliability. That said, I wonder if people will get nostalgic that auditory signals could be used for detecting a dying HD.

What happens if your SSD is going down? Not exactly going to hear clicking this time :|

I will likely be snagging a cheap 30GB model for a car PC i'm planning on building next summer. Slow 30GB models are going on the cheap now. Next summer will be even better and will work well with Ion or other similar miniature pc platform.

By next year I hope to be able to purchase on of these ssd drives. They're are still expensive but are proven to be really fast, we are still to see if they are so reliable as announced.

*dreaming of a 128Gb SLC drive by next fall* :D

Lol.

Yeah the main interest (at least it should be) is reliability. Plain and simple, for the love of god, better reliability. That said, I wonder if people will get nostalgic that auditory signals could be used for detecting a dying HD.

What happens if your SSD is going down? Not exactly going to hear clicking this time :|

Most of these SSD's have a lifespan of over 1000000 working hours. Equates to over 114 years. Also since there are no moving parts in a SSD they are much more durable than current mechanical hard drives and the only reason a SSD would go out is severe abuse on the side of the laptop owner. You'd literally have to crush them to kill them since they have no spindle in them.

The main bad side I see is if these things keep becoming more durable what is the excuse to remove a older SSD and upgrade it to a larger one considering it more than likely is not going to die out on you like a mechanical Hard Drive would.

Good SSD drives are way too much money now. If I was an IT head for laptops that got real feild use (Department of forestry, Airplane usage, etc) I might get them, but otherwise, HHD for me.

I will likely be snagging a cheap 30GB model for a car PC i'm planning on building next summer. Slow 30GB models are going on the cheap now. Next summer will be even better and will work well with Ion or other similar miniature pc platform.

Did you just say LON? Who still uses LON?

Most of these SSD's have a lifespan of over 1000000 working hours. Equates to over 114 years. Also since there are no moving parts in a SSD they are much more durable than current mechanical hard drives and the only reason a SSD would go out is severe abuse on the side of the laptop owner. You'd literally have to crush them to kill them since they have no spindle in them.

The main bad side I see is if these things keep becoming more durable what is the excuse to remove a older SSD and upgrade it to a larger one considering it more than likely is not going to die out on you like a mechanical Hard Drive would.

Capacity is the answer to your question sir.

I say they should lower their prices a lot more because the prices of the ssd drives are just ridiculous even thuough thay have incredible speeds.

I really want to RAID0 2 64gb SSD's... Should get rid of the level loading lag in Oblivion for sure.

Back