Intel Security Study Reveals Millennials More Likely to Unplug While on Vacation

HardOCP News

[H] News
In preparation for summer travel season, Intel Security conducted a study, “Digital Detox: Unplugging on Summer Vacation,” to better understand the ways consumers stay digitally connected while traveling and ways they may unknowingly be putting their personal identity and devices at risk. Roughly 65 percent of U.S. respondents define being unplugged as having no internet usage at all, while half said being unplugged means they did not make any phone calls. The survey challenges a misconception in society that millennials would be the least likely to leave their devices behind on vacation – 49 percent of U.S. millennials actually admitted that they were willing to unplug on vacation, while only 37 percent of those respondents between 40-50 years of age would do so.

I can see this. Digital burnout should hit the Millenials more so than any other generation. They also seem to care a hell of a lot less about what's going on around them, aside from their social clicks. After all, they are the "FACEBOOK" and Selfie generation. Older adults tend to be more in touch with the world and like to keep up with the news. But, don't need constant access to technology, just shorter bursts.

"Millennials More Likely to Unplug While on Vacation"

I'm usually lumped into the millennial category (though I still think defining "generations" via birth year is pretty stupid) and I regularly turn my phone off while on vacation. I have some family members who are in their 50s-70s that are constantly texting and playing on Facebook.

Nukester:

They also seem to care a hell of a lot less about what's going on around them

I believe this statement probably applies to young people regardless of what year it is. Just as:

Older adults tend to be more in touch with the world and like to keep up with the news

Tends to apply to older people, regardless of what year it is.

Young people are more concerned with their immediate surroundings (still discovering life and whatnot) than old people (been there, done that, bought the t-shirt), old people complain about young people being selfish and narcissistic after forgetting what they were like as youngsters. And the world keeps turning.

I am a millennial and I turn my cell off on vacation. I have come to realize that though smartphones are amazing, they are also the ball and chain that tie us to jobs and society.

Older adults tend to be more in touch with the world and like to keep up with the news.

Although this is probably true, I will say this: I don't think humans were meant to be hearing what bad is happening all around the world all the damn time. In the past, you might get the news once a day in some sort of paper. If you lived further from society, you would only hear of the news when you went into town to buy supplies. I think the constant, always on, news cycle makes humanity numb to calamity.

I am a millennial and I turn my cell off on vacation. I have come to realize that though smartphones are amazing, they are also the ball and chain that tie us to jobs and society.

Although this is probably true, I will say this: I don't think humans were meant to be hearing what bad is happening all around the world all the damn time. In the past, you might get the news once a day in some sort of paper. If you lived further from society, you would only hear of the news when you went into town to buy supplies. I think the constant, always on, news cycle makes humanity numb to calamity.

A lot of truth to what you say. News cycle is vicious! Not saying that older adults like myself are smarter for reading all of the bad news. That's why I "skim" news, but actually read tech news :)

my boss(company owner/president/pr person- never unplugs fully- if he goes to a foreign country, he rents a simcard for the vacation and checks in at Work once a day and we forward any emails that are important to him. but for the most part is unplugged (he only uses his phone for ...phone calls he does not KNOW how to text)- except for ~15 minutes a day in the morning as he calls and checks in.

me and my family- last vacation- wife 3 kids (14 11 11) all brought their phones, but for the most part we had our phones off/airplane mode except for the last day when i got the wi-fi package on the cruise- so that i could print our boarding passes/do online check in at the airport.. and the day in Mexico where we had cell service.

the ONLY idiot that did not follow our rule of airplane mode/off was our 14yr old son...LUCKILY his connection was bad so his "data" charge on his phone was ONLY 350 dollars....he tried to watch a HD video on youtube....at 5 thousand dollars an hr streaming data charge for international rates....needless to say his mother was not happy when she got the bill -she did not realize how much WORSE it could have been until i told her an hr later (after i looked the rate up)

The survey challenges a misconception in society that millennials would be the least likely to leave their devices behind on vacation – 49 percent of U.S. millennials actually admitted that they were willing to unplug on vacation, while only 37 percent of those respondents between 40-50 years of age would do so.

Reality check. The Survey is based on that people SAY they would be willing to do, NOT what they ACTUALLY do.

This just means that millennials are less truthful about what they will actually due while on vacation, or that they don't have the obligations (like work) that older people do.

the ONLY idiot that did not follow our rule of airplane mode/off was our 14yr old son...LUCKILY his connection was bad so his "data" charge on his phone was ONLY 350 dollars....he tried to watch a HD video on youtube....at 5 thousand dollars an hr streaming data charge for international rates....needless to say his mother was not happy when she got the bill -she did not realize how much WORSE it could have been until i told her an hr later (after i looked the rate up)

Which is why I like the way T-Mobile works.
No overage charges while in the US, they just slow your connection speed down once you have used up your plan data (we all have 2GB/month, non shared)
Plus, they give you free limited data in most other countries. While in Canada my kid decided to send a friend a video file. Used up all her free limited data the 1st day, so she had no internet the next few days except for the free wi-fi in the hotel room.

You know.... I'm not really sure if the son was an idiot, or trusting a 14 year old with a device that can charge you thousands of dollars was really a smart idea.

Back