• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel SASUC8I does not boot in Intel Server Board - Please help

Joined
May 18, 2011
Messages
9
I just assembled a new server with the following components:

Intel Xeon E-1225
Intel S1200BTL Board
16GB Kingston ECC Intel verified
Intel SASUC8I Controller (LSI 1068e)

The problem is, the firmware of the 1068e won't load in this board, no matter what I do. The card works find in my Asus P8Z68-V. I run FreeBSD in my server, and I cannot see the card in dmesg or pciconf. I tried all of the slots.

I flashed the newest original Intel firmware on the card, and I also tried the firmware from LSI directly. The board also has the newest BIOS (R32). I hope someone can help me, I googled a lot but it seems no one but me has this problem.
 
Looks like it might not be compatible with your motherboard (Intel doesn't seem to list it as supported either). Keep in mind that the 1068e doesn't support drives above 2TB which also might be an issue.
//Danne
 
Yes I have seen the Intel compatiblity list. The 2TB limitation is sad, but still I have plenty of drives that could connect to this controller, while disks > 2TB could use the onboard ports.

Looks like I have to buy a SAS2008 controller (which thankfully is listed by Intel as compatible)
 
you could try the "pin-tape mod" to get the system to boot. Using physical tape is only a temporary solution to see if the method works, once functionality is verified you can use a sharp blade to cut the two traces feeding those pins. if you bought this card new, this WILL void your warranty! ;)
 
Not that is helps you with this problem... but why not buy a M1015 and flash it with the IT firmware and you end up with a much nicer HBA for $100?
 
MarkL: That's exactly what I'm going to do. The Intel RS2WC080 uses the same LSI chip and is on the compatiblity list for the board, so I think M1015 should work (The RS2WC080 is not an option, it sells for 370USD here).

I'm looking at eBay right now. I will report back if the new controller works in case anyone is interested.
 
Hmm...I have 2 of those SASUC8I in a S1200BTS board in our NAS. The BTS is nearly the same the as the BTL but C202 chipset instead of C204. Very minor differences overall. It seems VERY strange the Intel card wouldn't work in that board.

Did you try enabling storage option ROM and/or Expansion Card Text in the BIOS?
 
I haven't seen any of these options in my BIOS, where can I find them?

Edit: I just checked the BIOS again, I can confirm that I do not have these options in any menu.
 
I have used an SASUC8I on an ASUS C202 board P8BX. No problems booting with that. I did not change any options for that. Although since then I replaced the SASUC8I with the a LSI 9201 16i 16 port SAS2 card.
 
What the hell? I don't understand this. Anyway I just got a cheap M1015, I will report back when it arrives.
 
So, I got my M1015. At first it showed the same behaviour as the old controller: Works in my ASUS Board, doesn't work in my Intel Board. I had some trouble flashing the controller to IT-Mode, I had to go through 4 Mainboards until I found one that worked.

After this, I plugged it in my Intel Server and then it finally came to life! <3 I have no idea why this board is so bitchy, but the controller works now and I'm happy.
 
You would think a card made by Intel would be the most compatible, since they help define most of the norms to follow.
 
Back
Top