Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID)

lexo1000

n00b
Hello,
In my Z270 bios, I have two options for SATA Mode selection :
- AHCI
- Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID)

What is the difference between them? Does the Intel SATA mode improve performance compare to AHCI?
I specify that I have one Samsung M2 NVMe SSD & one Western Digital Hard Disk drive installed. No RAID in my setup.

Thanks
smile.png

You need an Intel Optane drive to act as a cache which havent been released yet.
At last look they gave no bandwidth improvement but were much faster access times than SSDs.
I'm not sure of the worth yet, especially as they are limited to only the very latest platform so price will undoubtedly remain high.

Optane is bascially like tiered storage. the data you use a lot will remain on the Optain or flash drive, the less used data will auto tier down to the platter drive. And it will shift based on use. To the OS it will look like one larger drive showing the capacity of both drives.

I THINK an NVMe drive can act as an "Optane" drive but I'm not positive.

Hello,
In my Z270 bios, I have two options for SATA Mode selection :
- AHCI
- Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID)

What is the difference between them? Does the Intel SATA mode improve performance compare to AHCI?
I specify that I have one Samsung M2 NVMe SSD & one Western Digital Hard Disk drive installed. No RAID in my setup.

Thanks
smile.png

AHCI is the standard configuration for a SATA drive that's not in a RAID configuration or using a legacy IDE mode. The Intel RST Premium With Intel Optane System Acceleration (RAID) mode is what Z270 motherboards call their RAID mode now in the Intel RAID BIOS. These settings have no impact on your Samsung M.2 drive.

Back