Intel rig help...

Hey guys,

I used to be a hardcore overclocking madman last year, but I grew tired of it. Last rig I built has a an E6400 in it, with dual 8800 GTSs in an Asus motherboard... so it's a bit dated.

I'm going to buil a new rig, but I wanted it purely for music production. Obviously, CPU and memory come into play. I was wondering if 900 would be enough.. this is just for the tower.

Is this enough nowadays... I'm gonna start doing research but I was hoping someone can get me started in the right track.

I used to be all about the inside scoop about the best bang for your buck components (for instance, the DS3 motherboard comes to mind, along with overclocking an E6400). But for stability's sake, I'm not gonna overclock.

Thanks in advance.

900 is more then enough...get a 45nm quad core, p35 or p45 chipset motherboard from intel or ASUS, and 4 GB of RAM....done deal prob cost you less then $500 and you still got over $400 for drivers, case, and power supply

Are you reusing any parts from your current build? If so, for $900 you'll easily be able to pick up a good Core i7 920/X58 mobo/6-12GB DDR3 combo for within your budget. For music production, such a machine would be quite a bit faster than a Core 2-based rig. Just wait a few weeks until the gear is released and you'll be able to get yourself a pretty kickass PC for that money.

I was wondering if 900 would be enough.. this is just for the tower.
But for stability's sake, I'm not gonna overclock.

Semantically sounds like you're spending $900 on the case. ;)
Also if you're a die OCer don't jump off the boat whatever you get there's still a ton of potential there whether you go E8x00, Q9xxx or i7

Thanks for the help guys.

It looks like I'll go with a P35 or P45 indeed. I would wait for the i7, but I'm not gonna use any parts from my old system... so I'm really trying to budget myself. I doubt there'll be inexpensive new Intel CPUs coming out.

Thanks for the help guys.

It looks like I'll go with a P35 or P45 indeed. I would wait for the i7, but I'm not gonna use any parts from my old system... so I'm really trying to budget myself. I doubt there'll be inexpensive new Intel CPUs coming out.

Go with the P45. There's still a decent upgrade pathway for Penryn. Look at me I got a E7200 recently but I know next year I could drop in a Q9550. And no i7's will not be budget builders choice anytime soon

Back