Intel Revenue Misses Estimates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel reported lower-than-expected second quarter revenue of $13.53 billion today. Wall Street was expecting $13.54 billion. The company's earnings per share came in at 59 cents, which was higher than analysts’ estimates of 53 cents.

Intel Corp reported lower-than-expected quarterly revenue as strong sales of its microchips that power data centers failed to offset a prolonged slump in demand for PC chips. Shares of the world's largest chipmaker fell nearly 3 percent in after-hours trading. Sales from Intel's traditional PC business, which also includes chips for mobile phones and tablets, declined 3 percent to $7.3 billion in the second quarter. In contrast, global PC shipments fell less than expected in the quarter, according to research firm IDC.

Must be nice to miss estimates by $10 mill and not even think twice about it.

LOL. I won't do the percentage difference between expected and actual so the Street doesn't look as bad as they do. Idiots.

LOL. I won't do the percentage difference between expected and actual so the Street doesn't look as bad as they do. Idiots.
I had to do the math, because it sounded super trivial. Looks like something in the ballpark of less than 1/10th of one percent.....

10 million is a lot of money, except when it represents a fraction of a percentage point. One would think that, that has to be within the margin of error. Certainly not the big deal they were making it out to be.

It's Wall Street, what do you expect. Missed by 10 million? Oh no now I can't afford that new redhead call girl.

Don't see why this is even news -- on the scale with which intel operates, $10mil is would be like "oh no, that pizza I ordered costs a whopping 1 cent more than I expected". sort of thing.

$10 million is all they're bitching about?

^^ This.

And its street estimates, not Intels guidance estimate.

XMM 7360 modems shipping (Apple is going to use it among others).
Kaby Lake is shipping.
Xeon Phi revenue up 8x.
Inventories up, but its good news since its due to yield increase.

Else the standard. Servers up, IoT up, Client down. 6950X sells quite well btw. Imagine that at that price.

$10 million is all they're bitching about?
Yeah, it's fairly insignificant for rational people, but it's a huge problem for expectations.

I'd be willing to go irrational if it means that the Intel board kicks out Krzanich before he causes real damage. His mobile focused Qualcomm mindset sucks.

While it is a relatively small percentage, perhaps they could make it up if they had new processors that were significant improvements over their previous ones. Instead of upgrading every year or two I think most people only upgrade their processor every 4 or 5 years now.

My last CPU upgrade was primarily to get the new features of the motherboard. The CPU differences was only slightly noticeable in benchmarks.

Back