Intel Reveals Next-Gen High-Performance Computing Platforms

HardOCP News

[H] News
At SC11, Intel Corporation revealed details about the company’s next-generation Intel Xeon processor-based and Intel® Many Integrated Core (Intel® MIC)-based platforms designed for high-performance computing (HPC). The company also outlined new investments in research and development that will lead the industry to Exascale performance by 2018. During his briefing at the conference, Rajeeb Hazra, general manager of Technical Computing, Intel Datacenter and Connected Systems Group, said that the Intel Xeon processor E5 family is the world’s first server processor to support full integration of the PCI Express 3.0 specification**. PCIe 3.0 is estimated** to double the interconnect bandwidth over the PCIe* 2.0 specification** while enabling lower power and higher density server implementations. New fabric controllers taking advantage of the PCI Express 3.0 specification will allow more efficient scaling of performance and data transfer with the growing number of nodes in HPC supercomputers.

“Knights Corner,” the first commercial Intel MIC architecture product, will be manufactured using Intel’s latest 3-D Tri-Gate 22nm transistor process and will feature more than 50 cores. When available, Intel MIC products will offer both high performance from an architecture specifically designed to process highly parallel workloads, and compatibility with existing x86 programming model and tools.

It's gonna be on an add-on PCIe card, so basically it's a "math" co-processor....

Wow, they have take MOAR CORES!!! to the extreme. AMD sales people won't have any ammo left.

According to Wikipedia, release is scheduled for late 2012-2013....I wonder what the price will be?

what I see from this... is an assumption; Speed maximum has been met. the entirety for years of R&D has resulted more and more cores... but no significant speed increases.

bummer

Wow, I can't wait to see the PPD for that beast. Moar for the [H]orde!

Radical,

It will cost... one BILLION dollars. (Said in Dr. Evil voice.)

BTW, this chip has over one Teraflop of processing power. For reference, Intel's new Core i7 3960X has 110Gigaflops of processing power. A 9-10 fold difference. This is designed for more or less compete with the AMD/Nvidia GPUs for pure horsepower.

Yeah but USB3? Intel's über-proprietary chunderbolt became such a success and the entire industry adopted it yaknow

Yeah but USB3? Intel's über-proprietary chunderbolt became such a success and the entire industry adopted it yaknow

Actually Intel signed a deal with Apple to have Apple be the first platform with Thunderbolt until like 2012 when other companies can use it.

Pentium Pro... resurrected! Damn that was a good chip back in the NT4 days. Just killed the last NT4 machine a month or so ago.

Next phase...integrate into cpu in place of current intel graphics and have x86 architecture capable of everything including graphics.

Nvidia recently released a supercomputer with 256 quad core Tegras, I wonder how this 50 core cpu would stack up to those 256 quad core ARM cpus.

Back