Intel Retail Edge 2007 Builds and Mods

SirKronan

Supreme [H]ardness
I started this to see how all of you who participated in the purchase program are faring with your computers.

Everyone is invited to give us an update, screenshots, news, mods you've made, etc. Some of the other participants and I have discussed this, and we want to see where everyone's at with their Q6700's and the Intel board, if used. How have you all been doing???

Here's the latest screeny of my overclocking progress. This week I'm stepping up to the 780i. Maybe I'll push it just a tad further... This summer I plan to watercool it to stretch it even more, or at least lower the temps.

OCS06.jpg

It runs at 3.65GHz very stable. I think I lucked out and got a processor with the better stepping that happens to overclock like a champ. Temps are a bit high, but it's not bad for a $22 air cooler!

Wow, no one here still running their Q6700/Q6600's? Oh well. I just wanna see what all my Intel Retail Edge peers are up to....

are you overclocking with the stock mobo? Am i missing something. I didnt see any options in the bios to mess with it.

Anyhow right now getting around 12800 with the stock mobo, 4 gigs of ram and a 8800gts g92

I also had problems with my onboard sound, but i didn't want to have to live without the computer so i just picked up a sound card.

are you overclocking with the stock mobo? Am i missing something. I didnt see any options in the bios to mess with it.

Anyhow right now getting around 12800 with the stock mobo, 4 gigs of ram and a 8800gts g92

I used the stock mobo to build a rig with a core 2 duo for my dad. I wanted to overclock so I used the Abit 32x-MAX for my main build. I also wanted all the bells, whistles and customizability, and the power to overclock the crap out of my ram, too. I ended up hitting 3.33GHz 100% 24/7 stable in all tests with my Q6700. I then moved to the EVGA 680i where I hit 3.65GHz stable, still with good memory overclocks on all 8GB.

After stepping up to the 780i via EVGA, I can't break 3.0GHz with the same processor!! I'm RMA'ing the board. I'm having loads of problems other than that, too. Fan control messed up, weird lockups, not even running right at stock, and randomly downclocking my Q6700 to 1.87GHz!!!!

I still have my Q6700 paired up with the DG33TL. I am not much of an OCer anymore, and this board suits me ok. Seems like to get a nice board, one has to spend $$$.

Mine's just in an old Antec Sonata case, used the motherboard it came with.
2x74GB Raptors in Raid 0
2x500GB Storage
HD2600XT
6GB Ram

Nothing too special, mostly office applications, some tf2, and vmware for testing. Keep having to tell myself I don't need an 8800GT or more ram, finally getting out of the habit of just buying computer parts I no longer need.

It runs at 3.65GHz very stable. I think I lucked out and got a processor with the better stepping that happens to overclock like a champ.

All Q6700's are G0 stepping...the one you have to worry about is the Q6600 which comes in B3 and G0 stepping, G0 being the best. I have a Q6600 (not from RetailEdge) and I can run at 3.8ghz stable all day on 780i. You have a Q6700 with 10x multi and should be able to overclock more than me...

All Q6700's are G0 stepping...the one you have to worry about is the Q6600 which comes in B3 and G0 stepping, G0 being the best. I have a Q6600 (not from RetailEdge) and I can run at 3.8ghz stable all day on 780i. You have a Q6700 with 10x multi and should be able to overclock more than me...

Yeah, now that I have the 780i I can't break 3.0GHz. In fact, I have to reset it twice, exactly, and the same every time, in order to get it to boot every time I turn it on. It's completely consistent. I'll turn on the computer, it will freeze right before starting to load windows. I'll reset it, then it will freeze in the same exact spot a second time. I'll reset one more time, then everything boots up just fine. Strangest darned thing ever...

I'm pretty sure it's not my Q6700. Not to mention the 780i is ruining my fans, I think. Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously for the replacement to come...

Yeah, now that I have the 780i I can't break 3.0GHz. In fact, I have to reset it twice, exactly, and the same every time, in order to get it to boot every time I turn it on. It's completely consistent. I'll turn on the computer, it will freeze right before starting to load windows. I'll reset it, then it will freeze in the same exact spot a second time. I'll reset one more time, then everything boots up just fine. Strangest darned thing ever...

I'm pretty sure it's not my Q6700. Not to mention the 780i is ruining my fans, I think. Needless to say, I'm waiting anxiously for the replacement to come...

Got a replacement. Only been able to hit 3.2GHz stable. Anything above that randomly crashes. I don't know why the downgrade.... 780i is supposed to be better.

I just updated the BIOS yesterday, and the drivers because the ESA software had quit working. It had been working fine thus far on my replacement board. After BIOS update and reinstalling of drivers and nVidia ESA software now I can't overclock at all again. Arg.... Runs with temps in the 30's at stock, everything perfectly stable, but even the highest overclock won't be stable at all. And with a paltry 1.4v to the CPU it gets way too toasty, even though I have a TRUE now with a sweet 120mm fan...

Back