Intel Retail Edge 2006!

How many processes does Vista have (usually) on boot up? Circuit City's had ~67 on three laptops, and one had 82 processes up and running at one time. I'm glad I got 2 GB of memory when I did...

How many processes does Vista have (usually) on boot up? Circuit City's had ~67 on three laptops, and one had 82 processes up and running at one time. I'm glad I got 2 GB of memory when I did...
Mine only has 58 processes after one day uptime (I've also had it installed for about 3 weeks now)

keep in mind computer manufacturers load up the OS with unnecessary applications so that could be the reason why there are more processes on the display models.

Knowing how they run those demo machines at the big retail stores I would say that is about double the normal number of processes running. There is no telling what crap is running in the background on those machines. As long as the keyboard, mouse, graphics and speakers work decently most people will be "amazed" at the pretty looking Vista.

I do agree that Vista is a resource hog, but that is the price we pay for wanting all the extra bells and whistles. Maybe if software engineers spent a little more time writing efficient code Vista would be less resource hungry. I am not a computer programmer so that is just my opinion, but it makes sense (I think).

I am not an MS hater and I actually like Vista, but I remember the days when I did not have the money to throw at buying more RAM and I feel sorry for everyone out there trying to run Vista with less than 2GB!!!

im running 47 but thats not on bootup, Thats after being on for 2 days

Got my 2 disks, I am thinking of waiting because I will be upgrading to a new cpu, video card, and mobo. If I install it now, will it let me keep on using vista when I upgrade in the future?

Got my 2 disks, I am thinking of waiting because I will be upgrading to a new cpu, video card, and mobo. If I install it now, will it let me keep on using vista when I upgrade in the future?
Absolutely this will work. All would recommend is that, when you do upgrade, do it all at once. This will avoid the hassle of activating 4 times, and will avoid you having to call intel to do it.

Does anyone know if the 32-bit key works for the 64-bit DVD, and vice versa?
If it does, I can try the 64bit and switch to the 32bit version if the driver support isn't good.
Or start off with the 32bit version and swtich to 64bit once driver support improves.

It supposedly works for the retail version, since microsoft offers a 2nd disk for free.

has anyone tryed to use this with the microsoft family discount?

im trying to do it but the validation picture doesnt work for me, and the link to listen to the letters is dead

Finally got a reply! It just confirms what everyone has been thinking.
Thank you for contacting Shop Intel(SM).

The product keys are specific to each respective version of the operating
system, thus you would be able to install the 64-bit on a secondary machine
if you choose to do so.

I hope this information is helpful. If you would like further assistance
please contact Customer Service toll-free at 1-877-649-5817. We are open
from 7 AM to 8 PM Monday through Friday, Pacific Time.

Thank you,
Tamara
Shop Intel(SM) Customer Service
http://www.intel.com/shop

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in
the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

A representative of Intel may subsequently contact you (via email) in order
to obtain your feedback on the quality of the support you received. If you
do not wish to participate, simply delete the survey email.

Finally got a reply! It just confirms what everyone has been thinking.

I received a 32 bit dvd with a cd-key. I installed that on a system.

I also received a 64 bit dvd with a DIFFERENT cd-key. I installed that on a different system.

Both keys were accepted. So, I assume both keys are seperate...

They are 2 different keys and you can use both the keys to install 32 bit or 64bit and vice versa..

If you look at the part number, they are both the same.

So yes we got 2 x Vista Ultimate (32bit/64bit). I used the 64bit key to install 32bit..

we should have actually got 1 key with 32bit and 64bit cd...

has anybody tried to update to the latest bios version, 1644, and get a severe error and the bios program won't run?

this is happening on mine and another board a friend of mine has. we have almost exact specs and are both using vista 64.

thanks for some help i can't find anything anywhere.

Knowing how they run those demo machines at the big retail stores I would say that is about double the normal number of processes running. There is no telling what crap is running in the background on those machines. As long as the keyboard, mouse, graphics and speakers work decently most people will be "amazed" at the pretty looking Vista.

I do agree that Vista is a resource hog, but that is the price we pay for wanting all the extra bells and whistles. Maybe if software engineers spent a little more time writing efficient code Vista would be less resource hungry. I am not a computer programmer so that is just my opinion, but it makes sense (I think).

I am not an MS hater and I actually like Vista, but I remember the days when I did not have the money to throw at buying more RAM and I feel sorry for everyone out there trying to run Vista with less than 2GB!!!

Now I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything but I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Vista only appears to use alot of resources, what it does is when you have idle resources it puts them to use with programs that need them, when you need those resources back it relocates them to where needed. I am running vista on 768 mb and it runs alot smoother than XP

I will sell off one of my copies. Will sell one cd key with both the 32 bit and 64bit for $150 shipped.

Now I'm not trying to start a flame war here or anything but I'm just gonna throw this out there...

Vista only appears to use alot of resources, what it does is when you have idle resources it puts them to use with programs that need them, when you need those resources back it relocates them to where needed. I am running vista on 768 mb and it runs alot smoother than XP
And it will only get smoother as superfetch optimizes for your usage.

Well, I thought I would be the Xpert and inform you all about this year's bundle.

You will get the Q6600 in the package deal......:D

More to follow!

Actually the quote from their webpage is this:
This year’s bundle features an Intel® Quad-Core processor, but supplies will be limited, so you better earn those Chips while they’re at max value! Check back in September for more information on what else you’ll need to qualify!

So we don't know if it will be a Q6600 or something better.

Anyone got a live event code they can share? I only signed up for this last month, so the maximum number of chips I can earn right now is 7,050. But the "worst case scenario" course is messing with me, I can't get the doom star section completed, where you have to drag things to the view, and share portion.

you will have till almost the end of the year to get more points, you will be fine. Last year i joined a month before it ended and got more than enough.

I keep checking back hoping they will post the package :(

I did all the quizzes like a month before you could purchase and had enough.

new thread?

PAY ATTENTION:

When I tell you it will be the Q6600, it will be!!!

[21CW]killerofall;1031368528 said:
Actually the quote from their webpage is this:
This year’s bundle features an Intel® Quad-Core processor, but supplies will be limited, so you better earn those Chips while they’re at max value! Check back in September for more information on what else you’ll need to qualify!

So we don't know if it will be a Q6600 or something better.

Why is this thread even still around it's from Retail Edge 06?

Gee, I was expecting Windows XP... lol

sorry i wasnt sure if it would have an OS with it. I thought the point of this post was to ask questions and communicate information about the retail edge *shrug*

This is hilarious. The 2006 thread remains open (which is good in my opinion as there are still users out there running the equipment purchased from said program) but the 2007 thread is closed? I think it needs to be reopened for all to discuss how their rigs are going, mods they are making, and how their system builds are running with the equipment from the 2007 purchase program. There were WAY more posters on 2007's thread than on the 2006. I, myself, would like to compare results with others who participated like I did in the retail purchase program. Shame, shame for closing the 2007 thread, but thanks for the laugh provided by leaving the 2006 open... :confused:

Well, I upgraded from that POS motherboard to an IP35-e, still using the x64 vista and the same processor OC'd to 2.8

This weekend I am gonna build it into a p182, add an 8800GT, scythe ninja (replacing zalman CNPS7000CULED) and am going to see where I can go from there without having to raise voltages.

I plan on recycling that mobo into a HTPC when I decide to upgrade my proc. which I hope will coincide with the release of XBMC for linux. :D

This is hilarious. The 2006 thread remains open (which is good in my opinion as there are still users out there running the equipment purchased from said program) but the 2007 thread is closed? I think it needs to be reopened for all to discuss how their rigs are going, mods they are making, and how their system builds are running with the equipment from the 2007 purchase program. There were WAY more posters on 2007's thread than on the 2006. I, myself, would like to compare results with others who participated like I did in the retail purchase program. Shame, shame for closing the 2007 thread, but thanks for the laugh provided by leaving the 2006 open... :confused:

BTW my mic port pooped on me too.

I think both this post and the other should be move to the [H]ot Deals Discussions

No this is in the Hot Deals Forum. There is a sub forum that was recently added for talking about deal after they are over

No this is in the Hot Deals Forum. There is a sub forum that was recently added for talking about deal after they are over

Oh I c. They need to open a 2007 thread there then too. Maybe I should?? Or can one of us do it??

Back