Intel Responds to CPU Security Issues

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Intel responds to a recent report that its CPUs have "Massive Hardware Bugs" in this latest statement on its site. It still claims its products are the most secure and that this bug does not have the issue of corrupting, modifying, or deleting data. It does however also suggest that even though Intel products do have this issue, so do many other companies' products..just not AMD's. So you know....no biggie. Thanks cageymaru.

Recent reports that these exploits are caused by a "bug" or a "flaw" and are unique to Intel products are incorrect. Based on the analysis to date, many types of computing devices — with many different vendors’ processors and operating systems — are susceptible to these exploits.

Contrary to some reports, any performance impacts are workload-dependent, and, for the average computer user, should not be significant and will be mitigated over time.

Check with your operating system vendor or system manufacturer and apply any available updates as soon as they are available. Following good security practices that protect against malware in general will also help protect against possible exploitation until updates can be applied.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  2. atarione

atarione [H]ard|Gawd

when AMD CPUs aren't vulnerable and Intel CPUs are .... well that my friends is a design flaw.. when it affects pretty much any and all operating systems running your processors... that is a flaw.. if ARM also has a similar flaw that doesn't change the fact that it is a FLAW....

intel can go **** itself, that press release is garbage...

also... perhaps Intel can comment why if this is such a non issue that isn't a bug or flaw ..blah blah blah.. why their own CEO sold literally EVERY intel share he could last end of last year =p Seems to say more than this press release about what a dumpster fire this actually is.

3. aeliusg

aeliusg Gawd

Still better for gaming than AMD.

4. SeymourGore

SeymourGore 2[H]4U

Woo, got a little dizzy reading that statement. It's a non non-issue, guys!

Bigshrimp and auntjemima like this.
  5. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

6. thesmokingman

thesmokingman [H]ardness Supreme

:ROFLMAO:

Master_shake_ likes this.
  7. bugleyman

bugleyman Limp Gawd

Look, over there! *runs away*

Drewis likes this.
  8. atarione

atarione [H]ard|Gawd

way to throw ARM under the bus intel.... classy...

jnemesh likes this.
  9. RogueTadhg

RogueTadhg [H]ard|Gawd

Sadly, this was exactly what was going through my mind.

10. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 [H]ard|Gawd

Well likely not java applet gaming anymore...

11. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Jezu...Intel your ONLY main competitor is AMD. And you (Intel) implied they are affected. That is beyond slimy.

Jesus what a shitbag thing to do.

Roberty, Bigshrimp, ChadD and 2 others like this.
  12. Jovian

Jovian Limp Gawd

Well thats press release was just a bunch of blame skirting. Nice job Intel

13. DigitalGriffin

DigitalGriffin 2[H]4U

Doesn't make much a difference if you are running a high end hi-res system even with the fastest video cards. At 4K, the video card becomes the bottleneck, so the difference is minimal. For all other configurations I would agree.

14. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

That's because there's an indication that they're vulnerable.

https://lwn.net/Articles/740393/

They don't get as much news coverage as Intel.

It's still just a distraction move, especially since they threw AMD under the bus in the same paragraph. Its classic Kick The Can Down The Road, and deny there is even a can.

CaptNumbNutz likes this.
  15. oldmanbal

oldmanbal [H]ard|Gawd

Their stock has already rebounded, which is up over 25% for the year anyway so I'm not really seeing much coming from this as an end result. It was fun to doom and gloom big bad intel for awhile but lets be honest, how many of us are typing on an intel machine right now, I know i am :S

Might be awhile till we see substantial differentiation at 4k from a significant number of games. We're also talking about .01% of the gaming gpu market so it's almost a stat that means nothing (unless you own a 1080ti class videocard). For the time being though, if 4k is your only gaming scenario, why not save a buck on cpu and go all in on your gpu? It's not like 12+ cores is going to turn stone into water.

DigitalGriffin likes this.
  16. defaultluser

defaultluser [H]ardForum Junkie

There will be lawsuits, but thy won't take more than a small chunk out of Intel's profits.

If the rumors are true and Microsoft's patch treats all processors equally, then there will be a universal slowdown with this patch (no winners).

But Linux servers will still have the right processor checks in-place.

17. jfreund

jfreund Gawd

It's a feature, duh.

Roberty, Bigshrimp and auntjemima like this.
  18. qbert95

qbert95 Limp Gawd

AMD should sue Intel for libel for implying that their cpu's are also at risk.

Bigshrimp likes this.
  19. bugleyman

bugleyman Limp Gawd

Seriously? Ugh, I hope not. You can BET Microsoft would differentiate if the shoe were on the other foot.

20. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

I'd personally fire their entire marketing /PR group because of the sheer idiotic things I see from them. Them pushing IOT doesn't help my opinion either.

I'll give credit where credit is due but neither amd or Intel really impress me as of lately.

21. Jailer

Jailer Limp Gawd

Oh shit, our stock is falling. Say SOMETHING!!!

22. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

Windows hasn't been patched for it yet. Once Microsoft patches Windows I expect to see a 25-30% drop based on before/after patches tests I've seen on Linux out there.

23. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

I guess the saying that there is no such thing as bad Publicity just got turned on its head. Probably the worst written PR I've read from a 'reputable' company.

24. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Limp Gawd

I do hope Microsft is smart enough to wrap the fix with an #IFDEF... Anything else would be pretty dumb. But then again if only Intel and ARM experience this issue, AMD would not be kicking off the fix code (and experiencing the slowdown as the fix reshuffles stuff) anyway.

25. Mav451

Mav451 [H]ardness Supreme

26. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya 2[H]4U

No sh*t!

[​IMG]

27. alamox

alamox Limp Gawd

these kind of statements is what makes me hate a company.
    while reading it, i keep telling myself do they really think ppl ( me ) are that stupid to not see through the bullshiet, their comm and marketing division need a clean up, before getting to engineering.
    i can appreciate the extent of this issue for them, but they can draft a statement that doesn't practically calls ppl 'idiots" and trying so hard to drag AMD into it, while apparently they are not affected, and especialy when they almost never mention them by name, just makes the statement even more pathetic.
    i wish this ends up with a never seen before class action law suit, would be fun to see.

28. umeng2002

umeng2002 Limp Gawd

Intel marketing department working overtime on this one.

29. oROEchimaru

oROEchimaru [H]ardness Supreme

Also optane is faster/cheaper... oh crap samsung 960 came out lets just cancel it.

30. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 Gawd

They don’t even think of you/us as people/persons.

31. naib

naib Gawd

32. Dead Parrot

Dead Parrot [H]ard|Gawd

I read the linked statement. Notice that Intel did NOT say that data could not be copied. So while your private data might not be modified, a copy of it could presumably be stolen on a un-patched system, at least according to Intel.

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  33. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Man 'o Man, wished I was employed by Intel in their Damage Control, Spin and Bullshit Department right about now. Those guys and gals are earning their pay over this. :greedy:

34. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

If only someone had taken the time to really look into just how real world gaming is impacted.....hmmmm.

The Definitive AMD Ryzen 7 Real-World Gaming Guide

With our AMD Ryzen 7 overclocked to 4GHz we find out if this is a competitive real-world gaming CPU or not. We compare it with two overclocked Intel 7700K and 2600K systems across six different video card configurations at 4K, 1440p, and 1080p to find out which CPU provides the best gameplay experience using playable game settings.

F.E.A.R., RogueTadhg, noko and 2 others like this.
  35. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Gawd

I've been wondering about that: Think Microsoft are going to see a switch from Win10 to Win7/8 for gamers that don't want the (expected) drop in speed?

36. TMCM

TMCM [H]ard|Gawd

"But Intel is 30% faster when I play my games at 640x480" :D

37. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

This spin just sours the enthusiast community further, trying to implicate AMD in this is a pretty low thing to do...Im 100% not buying intel for my next system now. The huge stock selloff by the CEO is a shit move as well, wonder what will come of that?

38. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Gawd

I don't really like quoting /. posts but there are some good points about why he'd be selling off the stock:

* AMD is back from the dead.
    * Intel's GPU hasn't been that successful -- they've even teamed up with AMD to put Radeon GPU's in the same die as an Intel CPU.
    * PC sales are declining as consumers shift from Intel PC's to using ARM-powered tablets & phones instead.
    * ARM is making inroads into the "desktop and laptop computer" marketplace.
    * ARM is powering most consumer electronics as well (TV's, Blu-ray players, Smart Speakers, etc)
    * Intel is absolutely nowhere in the mobile world. Mobile has one ARM to rule them all.
    * Intel missed the boat for the current generation of XBOX and PlayStation consoles.

https://it.slashdot.org/story/18/01...orces-linux-windows-redesign#comment_55852347

and the flaw has been known about since late Oct./ early Nov. so it isn't like he's been trying to sell it off before this came out.

I think the spin about the competitors having the same issues are that ARM64 does have the same issues
    https://lwn.net/Articles/740393/
    and Opteron-As are ARM64s

39. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/25743/000138713113000737/ex14_02.htm

can't imagine anything good.

40. 86 5.0L

86 5.0L [H]ardness Supreme

Bigshrimp likes this.