Intel Reportedly Prepping 10-Core Broadwell-E Processors

Glad to see the core count increasing while bringing decent clock speeds for the enthusiast platform. That hopefully means 6 or 8 core processors will be available on the mainstream/performance platform soon...and that's when I'll upgrade from my Z77 + 3770K.

might be time to jump form my 3930k. if they did an 8 core for $500 ish il bite

Suddenly my Xeon seems slightly less impressive... may have to upgrade to maintain peen.

The Core i7-6950X is reported to be a 10-core, 20-thread CPU with a base clock of 3GHz, an unknown Turbo frequency, and 25MB of L3 cache.

Intel is now working on the successor to Haswell-E, and if recent rumors are true, the company is going to address this discrepancy with the upcoming Broadwell-E. The upcoming family will launch with multiple SKUs that should address the needs of both gamers and other high-end users who have more use for threads and less for clock speed.

As much as I would like this, it would have to provide an 15%+ IPC increase and achieve the same 4.5GHz clocks that you can get on existing Core i7 5960X CPUs for me to upgrade. While I want moar cores like everyone else I don't really have much of a use for that many on my desktop.

Add more cores but not speed. Another cop out. Milk people but give nothing. Still stuck at 3 Ghz. Should we be at 4 Ghz at least. How about 5 Ghz. Didn't they release 12 core awhile ago for Apple. Telling you gonna be expensive and no where near value. Unless its around 1000 bucks gonna be rip off.

I would like to see:

10 core (Yeah 20 threads is good)
4 Ghz minimum set clock.
40 Pci-E Lanes

Just tired re-hash lets finally slam dunk.

You have to balance Cores + Frequency to the power envelope that the motherboard spec provides. More frequency generates a lot of heat, and each core multiplies that. So if the motherboard spec only goes to 130W, you are stuck with that upper limit. Intel probably could do 5Ghz, but it would be 2 cores. And who will pay for that? General population isn't going to pay a premium for that balance.

AMD had to "stretch" the limits for their upper FX8 series and it severely limits your motherboard choices. But they couldn't just add frequency plus cores and not pay the price for it.

Looks great, though I am on the fence. I want a more cores for some rendering and encoding tasks, but I don't want it to tank gaming. I eagerly await reviews. :)

I think the worst possible news to me is if it was incredible at rendering and encoding tasks, but then can't match my slightly OCed 3770k @ 4.4ghz in games.

Looks great, though I am on the fence. I want a more cores for some rendering and encoding tasks, but I don't want it to tank gaming. I eagerly await reviews. :)

I think the worst possible news to me is if it was incredible at rendering and encoding tasks, but then can't match my slightly OCed 3770k @ 4.4ghz in games.

Well, the thing people are forgetting is that this is NOT Skylake. This is Broadwell, which is not at all faster than Haswell. It uses less juice, but its not faster per clock by any means. so chances are the 10-core Broadwell will only be as fast as an i7 4790k per clock. Will it clock up to 4.5? Well lets hope so. For a rendering/encoding buff like myself, I welcome the cores (take a look at m'sig)! but I would never recommend anything other than a quad with HT for gaming.

Interestingly enough.. What if Intel decide to ditch the i7 branding on mainstream desktops? Like Socket 115X only has i3s and i5s available, and i7s START at 6c12t?

I mean, you think about it, the phrase 'i7' means nothing now. an 'i7' could be a dual-core notebook CPU, or it could be a 10-core unlocked beast. i3s and i5s have SOME consistency.

Well, the thing people are forgetting is that this is NOT Skylake. This is Broadwell, which is not at all faster than Haswell. It uses less juice, but its not faster per clock by any means. so chances are the 10-core Broadwell will only be as fast as an i7 4790k per clock. Will it clock up to 4.5? Well lets hope so. For a rendering/encoding buff like myself, I welcome the cores (take a look at m'sig)! but I would never recommend anything other than a quad with HT for gaming.

Interestingly enough.. What if Intel decide to ditch the i7 branding on mainstream desktops? Like Socket 115X only has i3s and i5s available, and i7s START at 6c12t?

I mean, you think about it, the phrase 'i7' means nothing now. an 'i7' could be a dual-core notebook CPU, or it could be a 10-core unlocked beast. i3s and i5s have SOME consistency.

cannonlake will move the stair a bit.. as it will bring 6c/12t to mainstream i7, 4c/8t to i5 and truly 4 cores for i3. :D

cannonlake will move the stair a bit.. as it will bring 6c/12t to mainstream i7, 4c/8t to i5 and truly 4 cores for i3. :D

Has this been confirmed already or is it just guesstimate (it does sound very reasonable no doubt). Sounds like I just have to try wait for Cannonlake (or AMD Zen but based on history I have my doubts :rolleyes:).

I wonder when would we be able to move away from 40 lanes on X chips to 64 lanes..

Back