Intel Remote Wake Keeps Sleepy Computers Ready

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel says that its upcoming motherboards will have a new feature called Remote Wake that will allow consumers to remotely activate computers that have been shut off. You will no longer need to leave your PC running when you are out of town in order to have remote access.

Now, Intel's consumer division is trying to build the remote-wake capability into ordinary desktop PCs, and to demonstrate its potential uses has teamed with software firms like Jajah of Mountain View, which would be the first Internet telephone company to use Remote Wake to rouse a sleeping PC for an incoming call.

but doesn't WoL only work for computers in the LAN? you can't send the signal though the internet

This part of Intel's vPro remote management technology. I already saw it being used and its integrated with Microsoft's SCCM R2. There's a way to remote to a system stuck on a BSOD and boot into a seperate "OS" that allows you to troubleshoot whats wrong.

I tried to implement WoL at work because we get power glitches a lot and we have a lot of remote users, however it really isn't that secure and the only way to get a PC to boot up is by broadcasting a Magic Packet. (Ya try explaining the low end user what a MP is...) Hopefully this will allow for simpler implementation and security.

From Wikipedia:

"Wake-on-LAN is not restricted to LAN (Local area network) traffic. It works with all network traffic, including Internet traffic."

I guess Intel want's to bring this to "ordinary" desktops ... idk...meh

Wake-on-LAN on previous products require a PC to be turned on within a subnet for it to work. Intel doesn't require that at all.

It looks like they're talking about wake from S5 (power off). Support is spotty, but that's not really new. You can wake up a computer over the Internet using port forwarding on a router.

Intel doesn't seem to have any new press releases about this so I wonder if it was just something that one of the software vendors mentioned making a big deal out of it.

Yeah, been doing this for years by setting up a port forward on my router. There are many webpages that will send the magic packet for you also:

http://www.dslreports.com/wakeup

You just need to forward UDP port 9 to the broadcast IP of your private LAN in your router and you need to know the MAC address of the NIC on that PC.

Does anyone know if this is like the "Lights out management" that is on newer XServe's?

I hope they are talking about waking up from sleep / hibernation as that doesn't work with WOL

WOL in general could use so much work, there is a slew of problems with it. From it not working with sleep hibernation to it not working depending on the way the system was turned off to not being able to force a restart. (oh and security I guess)

Its a great feature that I'd love to have 100% solid but its not, I hate having to get up and go to another city just to turn the darn computer on. With all these power initiatives people are turning computers off all the time making it almost impossible for me to reliably get simple tasks like updates and scans done remotely.

I've been remotely accessing my home computer from work using Magic Pocket for years now. The PC needs to be in sleep mode though, it seems that when it is just shut down it doesn't react.

Security... Well, for Magic Pocket to work, you need to know the machine's MAC address that needs to be embedded into magic pocket for the machine to react. That's enough security to prevent people from waking up your machine accidentally/on-purpose.

Anyway, the news is about the same as sombody saying they just invented a wheel...

Yeah, been doing this for years by setting up a port forward on my router. There are many webpages that will send the magic packet for you also:

You just need to forward UDP port 9 to the broadcast IP of your private LAN in your router and you need to know the MAC address of the NIC on that PC.

This only works if the PC is in sleep mode right, not if it is totally off?

Works when the system is totally off. This is why you may see a yellow LED on your NIC when the system is completely off. The motherboard has standby power to that device so it can receive the signal and power the system up. You may need to adjust your power mangement settings in the BIOS also to enable this.

Does anyone know if this is like the "Lights out management" that is on newer XServe's?

that's what I was thinking...wouldn't it be easier to add something in like iLO, ALOM, DRAC...but then it'd be motherboard specific. Course if Intel builds it into their reference chipset, that'd be a mute point.

I know some of our older (ancient) Compaq servers had PCI (PCIx ?) cards that would give you remote kvm abilities...set your motherboard to power on during a space bar hit and that might give you the same abilities.

Works when the system is totally off. This is why you may see a yellow LED on your NIC when the system is completely off. The motherboard has standby power to that device so it can receive the signal and power the system up. You may need to adjust your power mangement settings in the BIOS also to enable this.

Awesome, thank you. I'm going to try this out when I get home.

This is about as ground breaking as Wake On Mouse, wake On Keystroke, and Wake On Modem...I like the one called Turn the damn monitor off.

I do something similar but by using WOL in conjuction with my Windows Home Server. The server stays on an accessible from the Internet (and even with 4x 500GB HDD only draws 75W). My PCs are powered off. If I need to access any of them, I access the WHS console remotely, and issue a WOL call to the PC I need access to. When I'm done, I power it off again.

And ever since having my WHS, with all my PCs backed-up to it, I've actually found that there is little reason for me to need access to the individual PCs anymore, since I can mount a backup of a PC as a virtual hard drive on my WHS.

I'm not a noobie I swear but I'm just checking, I'm suppose to port forward Port 9 UDP to MY IP Address correct?

I wish a high end consumer board would add features like HP's ILO for servers....
Remote kvm in any system state, redirect serial ports over tcp tunnels, remote mount isos /floppy images with no os on the machine.... It is so damn nice...

I'm not a noobie I swear but I'm just checking, I'm suppose to port forward Port 9 UDP to MY IP Address correct?

You actually need to forward to the broadcast IP of the subnet you are on. Usually this will be 192.168.0.255, if your subnet is 192.168.0.0/24.

nothing new.. but if they are making it easier for normal joes to turn on their pc.. then i'm cool with that...

Back