Intel RAID questions

walwalka

2[H]4U
I have two Samsung 850 pro 256gb drives. When I first installed them I was seeing 11-1200mb/s read speeds. Recently I got an error from Intel rapid storage. Said that one drive had failed, I unplugged the drive. Took them all out of raid and installed Windows.

Samsung magician said they are fine and both plugged in as SATA III. Ran crystal disk mark and got 550ish mb/s from both drives.

So then I set back up the raid array and installed Windows, Intel rapid storage is reporting it all fine. But one of the two drives reports as SATA II while the other says SATA III. My read speed is right around 700mb/s at the moment.

Setup for RAID0 128kb cache.

Now if I turn the rig off and swap the ports that the SSDs are plugged into, the opposite drive reads as being SATA II.... I tried all four ports on the board, I always get one drive as SATA II. That's not how it used to be, i know that for sure.

I have changed the cables as well, same results.

Anything I missed that I should try? Because at this point I'm thinking boards messed up.

Last edited:
Reporting back with my findings..

I hooked the 850s up to my Gigabyte Z97 board and threw them in RAID 0, once windows was installed in IRST both drives report as SATA III.. I get read and writes of what I would expect 1250 and 1000 respectively.

I'm assuming the EVGA board has an issue, I'm going to reach out to them for their thoughts.

Sounds like a port is not auto negotiating like it should. Can you force SATA mode on the ports?

There are none of those settings on this board, it's very limited. I'm contacting eVGA today

Which CPU? maybe one of the ports went bad, which means one of the PCI lanes used to transfer data. I read that on older boards this was a problem with SATA3. So it could be that there is not enough bandwidth and the driver is turning off stuff to get them running so first drive would eb sata 3 while the next would be sata 2. Strange way to do it. And this setting would be in the drivers and not the bios. The IDE/ATA drivers would allow you to set the DMA/ATA modes in the device driver option.. Maybe force it there if the option is allowed. I know when windows put the drives into software transfer modes instead of DMA you could select it there to makit faster after getting read errors.

Back