• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Raid Questions on Asus board

Zepher

[H]ipster Replacement
2FA
Joined
Sep 29, 2001
Messages
21,838
I have never used Raid before and a friend wanted Raid 1 on a machine I am setting up for him.
I bought a pair of 256GB SSD's and to be used on an Asus P5K-E mobo, an older Core2Duo setup.
I made the Raid 1 Volume in the Intel utilty and installed windows.
My first question is, if something happens to the mobo, can I grab one of the drives and put it on another PC and all the data will be there?

Also, if one drive fails, the machine will still work, right? And if I replace the bad drive, the good drive will copy the data to so it will be 100% automatically?

thanks for any info.
 
Yes, yes, and yes.

The only problem is you have no protection from user error, system problems or viruses. Once the data is deleted/damaged by error/virus/accident it's gone. So don't count on it as a backup
 
^ What he said. RAID is redundancy, NOT a backup solution and it'll serve you best to keep this in mind from the beginning.
 
thanks.
I told my friend that it isn't a "backup" it is just a running copy so if he deletes something it's removed from both drives.
 
I've lost both sides of a mirror, and all of my data, when my controller went south back in the day. I learned that RAID isn't a backup the hard way. :(
 
Back
Top