• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel® Core™ i7-5820K Haswell-E

irvinjh

n00b
Joined
May 10, 2015
Messages
9
When OverClocking to a stable 4.5GHz & while CPU sits idle the Core Speed fluctuates between 1.1GHz & 4.5GHz. Applying a "load" the CPU immediately kicks up to 4.5GHz and holds steady. Lowering the OverClock to 4.4GHz produces steady Core Speed of 4.4GHz @ idle , no fluctuations; just a nice steady Core Speed of 4.4GHz. Why the Fluctuations on OverClock of 4.5GHz, setting idle?
 
IRT the fluctuating ASRock X99 OC Formula with i7 5820K Haswell-E.

Here is my BIOS configuration:

OC Tweaker
CPU Configuration
CPU Ratio [MULTI] = All Core
All Core = 45
CPU Cache Ratio = 33
iNtel Speed Step [EIST] = Disable
DRAM Tweaker
DRAM Frequency = AUTO -or- PreSet 2133
FIVR Configuration
CPU vCore Voltage Mode = Override Mode
vCore Override Voltage = 1.360
Voltage Configuration
CPU Input Voltage [Vin] = Fixed Mode
Fixed Voltage = 1.9 [2.2 = "RED"]
CPU Load-Line Calibration = Level 1
Advanced
CPU Configuration
CPU C States = Enabled
Package C State Support = C6 [non Retention] State
Chip Set Configuration
CPU 6 State = Enabled
Good Night LED = Disable
Onboard Debug = AUTO
H/W Monitor
CPU/Chassis Fan's = Full Speed
TEMP Sources = NOTE: Set for Performance & "Monitor CPU" then
reset back to Full Speed.
BOOT
Fast Boot = Disabled
Boot Beep = Enabled

This fluctuation ['throttling'?] only occurs when OverClocked to 4.5GHz.
 
Have the same board here...... i'd say with the 1.36v and the llc of 1 you are pumping into that chip you are perhaps hitting a tdp limit..... board does have options to disable or at least partially limit those effects.

I'd be watching your core voltage closely and see what it is spiking to under load....

far be it from me to tell anyone "thats too much voltage" but from what I have read and experianced with my 5820k 1.3 is probably getting near the top end for everyday use.

If you just trying to limit the core speed changing i'd disable anything labled "c state" in the bios for starters.
 
IRT "Aaron_ATX". I appreciate your suggestion & will seriously take it to heart. I apologize not getting back to you-all sooner. New Subj: I also have a MSI X99X MPOWER running the i7 5960X. I do not experience anything like this with the MSI Board but.. the best I can do stability wise on this board is 4.4G. 4.5G goes balistic on me after APPROX 30 min R so. Any suggestions? Thanks
 
is it possible you have setting in windows power settings\ processor power settings set to passive? probably not but it could also do it
 
I checked that & its not set to "passive". At this time I am just going to close this out & live with it being the "personality" of the Board itself. I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions.
 
Back
Top