Intel Pentium D 940 question.

Bicarus

Weaksauce
I recently upgraded my CPU from a P 540 prescott to an Intel P 940 presler and am having trouble oc'ing this bad boy.

Currently I am using this CPU fan http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1482306&CatId=1588
and from what the BIOS system temps are showing me (nothing oc'd) I am a bit confused.

BIOS "System state"
System temp: 32c
CPU temp: 17-18c Fluxuates.

SpeedFan and HMonitor show these numbers
System Temp: 17-18c
CPU temp: 32c

The main problem I am having after I installed this new 940 cpu and re-installed windows and all the patch's, etc is that I would get random reboots when I try to OC it..

Since my old 540 would OC with a setting of 230 (3.7ghz+/- ish from 3.2 stock with same CPU fan and mobo/memory,etc and temps would run about 54c max while benching/gaming) I tried setting that for my new 940 but the system would get to Windows and randomly reboot (either right after loading to desktop or at wierd random times) - all the while I had speedfan or Hmonitor running showing the CPU temps never got over 45c. I have been able to run it stable, oc'd at 3.35ghz with no problems in benchmarking,games, etc.

So do you all think that there may be something wrong with this CPU? or perhaps there is some glitch in Windows that I may have to re-install the os and repatch?

If system temps would rise too high I could point it to be my CPU fan not cooling correctly, but this is just strange.

Thanx
~Bic

230mhz is a fairly large jump on stock settings. Try raising the voltage on the cpu to see if you can get it stable. The same can also be said for the ram but I'm sure it's more the cpu than ram.

I agree that is a large setting at first, but thinking that my 540 handled that fine.... :p

After it had issues keeping windows running I then tried 201-205 which worked fine no rebooting, so I then tried setting it to 206+ and the reboot problem happened again.

I think I am going to take off the CPU/heatsink, re-apply thermal paste and try again.

It is just strange that the temps never got hot enough for it to do a reboot like that. It almost seems a windows problem, but maybe not.. :p

When I get home I'll check the actual model # and all that on the chip and google to see if anyone else had similar issues.

Thanks for your reply.

I bet its your power supply. I had the same problem with the last computer I built and I could not find the problem. I changed every part other than the PS. I then tried a new PS and never had the problem again. Just an idea. Good Luck.

Got the problem figured out.

Just for shiot and giggles I reapplied thermal past and made sure it had excellent coverage. Then proceeded to reapply the latest bios flash for my mobo.

it fixed my problems

The temps are looking correct now in Hmonitor and Speedfan where my cpu is running at around 36c (instead of before when it said 17c). I think my previous bios flash didn't take or something.

Only sad part is that I wasn't able to clock higher (and keep steady) @ 2.356

When I tried to oc to 220 on the cpu it would reboot at windows like before. but 210 works rock solid so far.

start your overclocking at 500 mhz and use your raio to get to 3.2ghz and work yourself up , you should at least overclock that badboy 4ghz.

I did this with mine and i got a stable 4.15 ghz . It will go higher but i need a decent psu and cooling. Also my pentium D was the 930 whilst yours is the 940 which is better.

What ram are you using ?

Mine were some cheap 667mhz rated. Try and get to your final overclock to what the ram is rated at or near to it, dont start at 667mhz if your ram is rated at 667 mhz. So if your ram is rated say 565mhz then start somewhere at say 495-500 mhz and use your multiplier ( FSB)and ratio to get you to what your cpu is rated it.

pm me if you get stuck

Back