Intel Pentium 2 Duo processor speed

Scud

n00b
I was looking at an HP computer at best buy and they said that this computer has a speed of 1.86ghz per core. When it says Duo processor im guessing that mean theres 2 cores so does that mean you add 1.86 twice and the overall processor speed is 3.72ghz? I have little knowledge in this area so help is needed. Thanks.

To answer your question, no. It isn't quite as fast as a single processor at twice the speed, in most applications. That said, it does have a performance advantage when you're running more than one program/application at once or using software that can run two chains of execution (threads) at the same time to get its work done.

Yeah, they are no longer Pentiums. Intel's new processors are called Core processors, hence Core 2 Duo. If both cores ran at 100% efficiency with each other and with all software then you could technically call it a 3.7GHz. The problem is that it's not ideal. Without going into any detail, I'll just say that it will be much faster than a single core 1.86GHz processor.

I was looking at an HP computer at best buy and they said that this computer has a speed of 1.86ghz per core. When it says Duo processor im guessing that mean theres 2 cores so does that mean you add 1.86 twice and the overall processor speed is 3.72ghz? I have little knowledge in this area so help is needed. Thanks.

This will help,
www.google.com

that 1.86ghz processor will smoke any pentium processor just to let you know, 1.86ghz sounds weak but it's extremely efficient and powerful

Yeah, that processor is a real champ. Even though it's only 1.86GHz, it's MUCH faster than the fastest Pentium 4 or Pentium D. It may be kind of hard to explain, but GHz is a measurement of how many times the processor goes through its work cycle each second. Though the Core 2 Duos don't do that many cycles, they do a LOT more per cycle. And no, you don't just double it to find the real speed. (Besides, it's effectively much faster than a 3.7GHz Pentium 4.)

A Core 2 Duo at 1.86ghz will smoke a Pentium 4 at 4ghz no matter what you're doing. Its just more efficient to a ridiculous level.

Back