Intel P4 w/ HT vs Intel Core Duo

I have had a debate with many people about the INTEL PIV with Hyper Threading and the INTEL CORE DUO with "DUAL CORE TECHNOLOGY".

INTEL CORE DUO = P4 with Hyper Threading (SSE3)

I personally think that the P4 with HT is the same processor, or very similar as the Intel Core Duo processores. If you look at the INTEL P4, you can see it's running two separate "CPU's" or CORE's!

So if the Intel Core Duo is just another name for the P4 with HT, it's a great marketing scheme...

You can clearly see that these are two separate processor's on one chip!

Of course the INTEL CORE DUO is probably more optimized, and a better processor, but in all it's the same technology, and not something we should be WOWing about. It's been in existance for a while now (Hyper Threading..)

ht.png

No they are not the same. Dual core is 2 physical processors in a single package, where as HT is one physical and one "virtual." Dual core should outperform a proc with HT. Should... :D

I know they arn't exaclty the same. I'm not trying to say a car is the samething as a truck.

I'm just saying that it's the same technology, and not something new that hasn't been invented yet!

no - it is NOT the same technology

You can not call a processor with 1 PHYSICAL core vs a processors with 2 PHYSICAL cores the "same technology"

They are not the same at all. - if they were the same the code duo would have HT - they dont.

as others have said hyperthreaded P4's are completely and entirely different from The Pentium-M and Core-single/Core-duo chips.

First off, P4's use the netburst architecture while the P-M's use a heavily modified P6 architecture.

Secondly, hyperthreading is only one REAL cpu. Hyperthreading is a single-core cpu just like anything else but it has two schedulers (and two of the supporting logic. ends up adding ~15% to die area over non-HT parts) that feed two threads into one single-core cpu. It works so well because netburst's effeciency is quite low and there's typically lots of gaps in the pipeline to fill with another thread. It shows up as two cpus because it is capable of handling two threads but it is still only one pipeline. Core-duo, however, is a dual-core chip. It has two physical cores which take one thread each.

If you really want a good long read about how hyperthreading works xbit did a wonderful in-depth look at how netburst works. It needs some prior knowledge of digital logic and perhaps some assembly, however.

fusioncities01 said:
cpu.jpg

LOOKS LIKE ONE CORE TO MEE!!!!

I'm going to ignore your obvious flamebait. anyway, the reason it still looks like one core is because both cores are on the same piece of silicon. They don't have to be separate to be multiple cores. There's two cores in there, just like if there were two physcial cores on the substrate (such as how presler does it).

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

Oh man, this was a funny thread...

Intel's Core is much different and vasty superior to any netburst P4 with HT. Please reaserch what you claim before calling other people out as wrong. You obviously have no idea how these things are built, evinced by your 1 peice of silicon = 1 core logic.

A Core Duo is the sucessor to the Pentium M, which was for the most part a modified Pentium 3 Tualatin.

Why are you guys even taking his bait? Its quite apparent he either knows nothing about the CPUs at all or hes just trolling.

inotocracy said:
Why are you guys even taking his bait? Its quite apparent he either knows nothing about the CPUs at all or hes just trolling.

Yea, at first I figured this was legit, though I assumed he was talking about Dual Core P4s, pentium D's, not Yonah. LOL... yea, not sure what to make of this now. :D

This thread made me lol, I just hope the guys joking around otherwise damn hes stupid.

fusioncities01 said:
I have had a debate with many people about the INTEL PIV with Hyper Threading and the INTEL CORE DUO with "DUAL CORE TECHNOLOGY".

INTEL CORE DUO = P4 with Hyper Threading (SSE3)

I personally think that the P4 with HT is the same processor, or very similar as the Intel Core Duo processores. If you look at the INTEL P4, you can see it's running two separate "CPU's" or CORE's!

So if the Intel Core Duo is just another name for the P4 with HT, it's a great marketing scheme...

You can clearly see that these are two separate processor's on one chip!

Of course the INTEL CORE DUO is probably more optimized, and a better processor, but in all it's the same technology, and not something we should be WOWing about. It's been in existance for a while now (Hyper Threading..)

ht.png

damn d00d gnomes snuck in my house and all of a sudden i have quad processor

Oh wait, no I don't. It's called hyperthreading.

Stupidity like this should be genetically banned.

In before the lock.

Back