Intel or AMD Build advice please

Karder

Limp Gawd
It's been a while since I changed myc computer, but I feel like it's time to update my current setup, even though it's great.

My main question is whether I should go AMD or Intel? I have some components already, as described in list below.

Also, I am going to create a Black and Blue (or black and yellow) theme in my next build so I am looking for aesthetically appealing parts as much as possible. ASUS Sabertooth mobos are appealing, but the high cost brings down my CPU possibilities.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming and Video Editing.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

$600-700

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

West Palm Beach, FL

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU
Motherboard
Memory RAM (preferably 24BG or higher)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Phanteks Enthoo Primo full tower chassis (if all goes well. Otherwise Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra)
1200W power supply (CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200)
Bluray optical Drive
2x evga GTX 680 4gb FTW
2x 256gb SSDs
Custom water loop

6) Will you be overclocking?

Yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

1080p 120Hz 24"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

As soon as possible

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

USB 3.0
Sata 6Gb/s

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, Win 7 64bit

Last edited:
I'd go with an Intel 4770K, some variety of Asus motherboard (like Z87-A etc), and the ram is really up to you.... (I'm a Corsair man myself)

Dangman and Tiriades are the "go-to" guys as far as finding deals etc. Wait for them to post, if possible....

I'd go with an Intel 4770K, some variety of Asus motherboard (like Z87-A etc), and the ram is really up to you.... (I'm a Corsair man myself)

Dangman and Tiriades are the "go-to" guys as far as finding deals etc. Wait for them to post, if possible....

I am leaning towards a 4770k and a ASUS Z87 Sabertooth.

But I want to make sure that AMD hasn't gotten ahead while I've been away from the CPU game

I am leaning towards a 4770k and a ASUS Z87 Sabertooth.

But I want to make sure that AMD hasn't gotten ahead while I've been away from the CPU game

They haven't. Intel is definitely the way to go.

So you already bought it? What's the point of asking for advice after the fact then? Unless you got it really cheap the Sabertooth motherboard offers nothing you need over a motherboard that's nearly half the price other than looks. IMHO, paying nearly 100% more for an item just because it "looks good" doesn't justify it's added costs. A ~$125 motherboard will do what you need/want and allow you to get the best CPU for the platform as well as 32GB of RAM.

$93 - GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H ($5 off w/ promo code EMCWVWT44, ends 12/15)
$260 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($40 off w/ promo code EMCWVWT33, ends 12/15)
$320 - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz ($20 off w/ promo code EMCWVWV22, ends 12/18)

Total: $673

Last edited by a moderator:
So you already bought it? What's the point of asking for advice after the fact then? Unless you got it really cheap the Sabertooth motherboard offers nothing you need over a motherboard that's nearly half the price other than looks. IMHO, paying nearly 100% more for an item just because it "looks good" doesn't justify it's added costs. A ~$125 motherboard will do what you need/want and allow you to get the best CPU for the platform as well as 32GB of RAM.

$93 - GIGABYTE GA-Z87M-D3H ($5 off w/ promo code EMCWVWT44, ends 12/15)
$260 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 ($40 off w/ promo code EMCWVWT33, ends 12/15)
$320 - Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz ($20 off w/ promo code EMCWVWV22, ends 12/18)

Total: $673

That is some interesting RAM!
and 4770k is very very interesting

Get the RAM and i7-4770K from Skillz's post. Don't forget to use the promo codes.

Well you can still get that RAM and the CPU, but you'll be $40 over your budget. IMHO, it's worth the $40.

Getting that Sabertooth motherboard for $160 is a good deal, but it still forces you over your budget. So as long as it was a brand new, in box deal w/ warranty then keep it. Otherwise, return it if you can.

Well you can still get that RAM and the CPU, but you'll be $40 over your budget. IMHO, it's worth the $40.

Getting that Sabertooth motherboard for $160 is a good deal, but it still forces you over your budget. So as long as it was a brand new, in box deal w/ warranty then keep it. Otherwise, return it if you can.

Yea, just picked up the memory. Holding off on the CPU, trying to sell or trade my current CPU so I can get a 4770k.

You're doing this piecemeal?

That's a bad strategy. If the Sabertooth motherboard ends up being bad, it may be too late for you to get a replacement.

You're doing this piecemeal?

That's a bad strategy. If the Sabertooth motherboard ends up being bad, it may be too late for you to get a replacement.

True, But bought the Sabertooth from a Forum member actually, only way to get it that cheap. At the latest, will get the 4770k before new year.

Well lets hope you never have issues with it later.

So I went with the Sabertooth Z87, i7 4770k and the 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws Memory.

Total cost for everything was $690.

Now just wait for everything to arrive and start my build.

Thanks

Back