intel nuc question

s002wjh

Limp Gawd
can intel nuc handle streaming video, 4k video playback, etc was thinking getting one for HTPC. also i'm assuming i can use HDMI to pass audio to my receiver?
also is it wifi capable or i need a usb wifi adapter?

Nvidia Shield is a better HTPC than a Nuc and cheaper. Will handle 4k and all the codecs for sound, which may have issues in NUC. About the only reason to get a NUC is to surf from your couch IMO.

Nvidia Shield is a better HTPC than a Nuc and cheaper. Will handle 4k and all the codecs for sound, which may have issues in NUC. About the only reason to get a NUC is to surf from your couch IMO.
isn't shield just a smart streaming device? can it play local stored .mp3, .mkv or video files? or display .jpg or access eternal SSD for stored files. what about VLC player

A shield can mount network storage. For that matter a $24 firetv stick can use VLC. There's a thread right in this forum a couple threads down about the death of HTPC.

there are some problems with the Shield, though.

it doesn't support AV1 decoding, and it's not upgradable. AV1 is already starting to be used more & more, and will eventually replace most (or all) of the other codecs out there due to royalty-free use, as well as for its efficiency, costing streaming providers less in bandwidth (either same picture quality using less bandwidth, or using the same bandwidth for higher PQ). once that happens, the Shield will be all but useless for a lot of people, given the fact that they're shutting down the GameStream functionality (and removing it from your Shield if you allow upgrades to occur) sometime next month.

don't get me wrong, i have a Shield myself and i love it, but before too long i will be doing a refresh on my Mini-ITX HTPC to a platform (probably an i3-12100 or -13100) which will support the Intel ARC A380 i just bought, so i can have AV1 decoding in the living room...and it may just play double-duty as an AV1 encoder for all my purchased Blu-rays & UHD Blurays to maximize free space on my ZFS NAS system, at least until such time as the low to mid range nVidia 4k series & AMD 7k series cards with AV1 hardware encoding are released, depending on how much those cost (my gaming/encoding desktop system will be upgraded at that point to replace my GTX 980).

that said, if you are interested in a NUC system, i would ensure that it has a 12th gen or newer CPU, since it will have AV1 decoding done in hardware...and if you can wait until the 14th gen CPU's with iGPU come out, i think those will also support AV1 encoding in hardware as well, giving you even more functionality.

Back