Intel NIC keeps going away

wildbill001

Weaksauce
ESXi 5.1. Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mobo (if that's important).

I have an Intel Pro nic that keeps losing connectivity after a reboot. Is there a log file in ESXi where I might find hardware errors to see if it is indeed having issues?

If not, any idea why this might be happening? The RealTek interface is working fine but Intel keeps showing up in Vsphere as "standby". I'd like to have them both working for load-balancing/redundancy.

Thanks.

Bill W

Hmmm. Forgot all about the vSwitch. Changed to active and that works. EXCEPT now it will only connect at 100mb, full. If I change to 1000mb, full (my only choice) it goes down/offline.

I'm thinking I may have a bad card?

Are you sure it's plugged into something that can do 1gb? FWIW, at 1gb, full is the only option that exists.

Check your cable make sure its not a bad cable, also check your switch see how its configured.

I knew it wasn't a switch problem as the RealTek NIC is plugged into it and working fine. It is a TP-Link 8 port, unmanaged, gigabit switch that is/has been working great on all the ports. Just for grins, however, I switched ports--no difference. The Intel NIC would show as either 100mb or down. I had changed the cable when this first started, also with no change.

So I figured, why not try yet another cable, what could it hurt. Well, :eek: , the NIC came up, auto-negotiated to 1000mb and is now working great. I don't understand it. The 6ft cable, which BTW, works fine on the RealTek interface wouldn't work on the Intel, but the 25ft works great. :confused:

OH well, thanks for the help. Glad it turned out to be an easy fix.

Bill W

Can you check the category on those cables? Cat5 vs. Cat5e vs.Cat6?

Cat 5 is all I have on hand. BUT some are much older than others. The cable that is working now was purchased this year. The one that WAS in there was about 10yrs old or older and was "salvaged" from a previous employment (yes, they were really going to throw out a good cable).

Bill W

"good cable" is apparently relative ;)

it is not relative on common sense...
do not buy a cheap cable :p.

I bought some cheap 5E ethernet cables before, 1 buck each.. very cheap..
at the end.... I did not use those cables.. the connections was flip-flopping 100M-1000M ....
once I replaced with a good cable ehem... not $1 cables... the problem was gone :D..

I cuted the cable and try to compare... aha... the $1 cable was very thin where mostly covered by plastics.. when comparing with other non $1 cable.

Back