Intel network card loses link after startup (linux)

Hello,

I have an intel PCI-E gigabit network card, and recently it started failing to even get a physical link (as indicated by a switch) after post( during boot it briefly flickers on then off), but only if the system it is in is cold booted (power removed, power applied, then booted). If I reset the system, it works perfectly fine. I have already tried swapping its PCI-E slot, to no avail. The system is running Fedora 10, and when it is in its broken state, even unplugging the network cable and plugging it back in will not cause it to detect link. Is the card dead, or does this sound like a software problem?

Thanks

Not enough data to really isolate it. However, from the command prompt type in lspci, paste the results here.

I'd also try a live CD Distro, see if the nic works there.

Oh, I forgot - when it is "dead" it shows up in lspci just as it does normally. Unfortunately the machine is headless so it is tough to do anything when the network does not work :p I just updated the system and simulated a cold boot by unplugging the network cable, turning the power off at the power supply, pressing the systems power button a few times to make sure it was dead, and turning it back on, and it worked fine that time. Was that an accurate simulation of a long duration off period?

DHCP, but it does not even get to that point - the cable, and indeed everything works fine after a single reboot.

Back