Intel Loves Windows 8

HardOCP News

[H] News
Intel's CEO, responding to a question about the ARM architecture, had some very interesting things to say about Windows 8.

We are very excited about Windows 8. I think it’s one of the best things that’s ever happened to our Company. And it’s a very good operating system, not just for PCs, but we think also will allow tablets to really get a legitimacy into mainstream computing, particularly in enterprises that they don’t have today. A lot of the enterprise managers are worried about security, they’re worried about the difficulty affording their legacy applications over to an Android tablet or to an iPad.

Bullshit according to some of their capital managers. Without revealing names I have had employees tell me that they feel Microsoft to be a dead company.

Bullshit according to some of their capital managers. Without revealing names I have had employees tell me that they feel Microsoft to be a dead company.

Strange. What OS then, do you expect the masses to gravitate to? Apple OS? Linux?
x86 based Android?

Its true. The perceived cost of an operating system decreases every day. Unless Microsoft chooses to give away a version of windows free then alternatives are making strong strides against them.

Basically like I said without revealing names they feel that the future will shift away from the OS.

do they work for the same intel i work for?

Do you work in an office that uses Windows PCs?

Do you work in an office that uses Microsoft Office?

I predict that the vast majority of people will answer 'yes' to both of these questions.

Cause dead companies make billions and provide an os that probably 90% of the world uses....

I highly doubt the janitors would lose their job over gossiping about what they think goes on in the offices they clean after the managers go home...

Not only that, but Microsoft's got some pretty large successes and growth areas going for them right now, Lync for example. It's still a young platform, but making great strides in the UC world. Microsoft Entertainment and Devices Division is also doing great things, and I'm not referring to the XBOX. Every recently large IPTV offering tends to be, more often than not, powered by Mediaroom.

That's just two examples of some great growth areas for Microsoft. I'm not a fan of some of their products(*cough* HyperV *cough*), and have a preference to POSIX based OSes more often than not, but dead in the water Microsoft is not. Now there are some areas that Microsoft isn't doing too well in right now(WP7, great product, poor adoption) but overall...

Besides, Microsoft is willing to give away windows for next to nothing to push its adoption and its other related products. Anyone remember what happened with netbooks?

I was talking to my cousin the other day who is an investment analyst who says there's not a lot of places to for the company to 'go'. This is obviously not really true, unless you were just looking at the %age of deployment. But they really need to hit a homerun with Office365 and tablets (with Windows 8). The traditional model may not have much 'growth', but there is still money to be made. Using the 90% model, the 10% are probably not going to buy in to microsoft, but they might buy into Office 365 or existing companies may add Windows 8 based tablets if they have enterprise class features.

For tablets though, they might consider offering the 'whole widget' like Apple does so they can control performance and not have like Samsung TurdBurgler XL featuring windows 8 tarnish its name :D

Its true. The perceived cost of an operating system decreases every day. Unless Microsoft chooses to give away a version of windows free then alternatives are making strong strides against them.

Basically like I said without revealing names they feel that the future will shift away from the OS.

While I agree with this to an extent, it will be a long time before this becomes a problem for Microsoft.
We have already seen what they are willing to do to keep thier market share. Just look at how cheap the license cost for XP on the netbooks a few years ago.

If thier margins shrink due to lower prices, they will just have to make it up in volume.

Not only that, but Microsoft's got some pretty large successes and growth areas going for them right now, Lync for example. It's still a young platform, but making great strides in the UC world. Microsoft Entertainment and Devices Division is also doing great things, and I'm not referring to the XBOX. Every recently large IPTV offering tends to be, more often than not, powered by Mediaroom.

That's just two examples of some great growth areas for Microsoft. I'm not a fan of some of their products(*cough* HyperV *cough*), and have a preference to POSIX based OSes more often than not, but dead in the water Microsoft is not. Now there are some areas that Microsoft isn't doing too well in right now(WP7, great product, poor adoption) but overall...

Besides, Microsoft is willing to give away windows for next to nothing to push its adoption and its other related products. Anyone remember what happened with netbooks?

Yes they are, but this is a shift from the OS model. We use Lync so does Intel. Everyone is dropping Cisco.

But Cisco doesn't make Operating systems.

So I guess I should have said the OS division is dead, but then again I don't think many people think of MS as a phone company so they might be better off creating a spinoff company.

Cause dead companies make billions and provide an os that probably 90% of the world uses....

When your competitor has a market cap that is higher than you and more cash on hand to boot while yours has been relatively unchanged for the last 20 years...yea that is a problem.

While I agree with this to an extent, it will be a long time before this becomes a problem for Microsoft.
We have already seen what they are willing to do to keep thier market share. Just look at how cheap the license cost for XP on the netbooks a few years ago.

If thier margins shrink due to lower prices, they will just have to make it up in volume.

True but some decisions are 5 years out

When your competitor has a market cap that is higher than you and more cash on hand to boot while yours has been relatively unchanged for the last 20 years...yea that is a problem.

Only in our unsustainable model where everything must grow 10%+ indefinitely, otherwise it is "dead." :rolleyes: They have a sustainable business model, it's something we need to learn to deal with.

Only in our unsustainable model where everything must grow 10%+ indefinitely, otherwise it is "dead." :rolleyes: They have a sustainable business model, it's something we need to learn to deal with.

This is true people do have unsustainable expectations about the stock market. I am just saying that there hasn't been much innovation since Bill Gates left.

This is true people do have unsustainable expectations about the stock market. I am just saying that there hasn't been much innovation since Bill Gates left.

True, but Windows is more of a utility / foundation now than anything else. They're the base on which business and innovation occur, due to the stability of the platform - you don't want radical change/innovation when it will throw everyone else off.

True, but Windows is more of a utility / foundation now than anything else. They're the base on which business and innovation occur, due to the stability of the platform - you don't want radical change/innovation when it will throw everyone else off.

I guess a better question would be if you didn't use office could you replace windows. Probably the answer to that is yes.

I guess a better question would be if you didn't use office could you replace windows. Probably the answer to that is yes.

It isn't just office though; how much of each organization's 3rd party software environment is built around Windows? Office is somewhat important to my job, but only as a secondary resource; my primary applications I am using are solely built for the Windows environment. However, I will concede that I have seen much more of what I do move to a web-based app, so as that continues the underlying OS, so long as it supports whatever browser language, will become less important.

You would rather have the Apple OS be standard? :rolleyes:

It isn't just office though; how much of each organization's 3rd party software environment is built around Windows? Office is somewhat important to my job, but only as a secondary resource; my primary applications I am using are solely built for the Windows environment. However, I will concede that I have seen much more of what I do move to a web-based app, so as that continues the underlying OS, so long as it supports whatever browser language, will become less important.

Or Citrix which more and more organizations are developing.

I am not saying it is all office, but once a person develops a product superior to office it will threaten the market share of Windows.

There was a survey that came out yesterday that indicated that there had been a dramatic drop off in interest for Windows tablets from Forester. However in all of the discussion boards I see when the subject of Windows 8 tablets comes up, there does seem to still be a lot of interest in them.

2011 was really the first year that solid Windows tablets appeared that were on the thin and light side and were relatively inexpensive, though still a LOT more expensive than ARM devices. Right now I see the cost of x86 Windows tablets that run Windows well as their biggest issue. But they really are do everything devices running Windows 8.

I am not saying it is all office, but once a person develops a product superior to office it will threaten the market share of Windows.

That's going to be VERY difficult to do. The next version of Office will be the best and most comprehensive productivity suite to run on tablets. Then you have to look at product that Microsoft has severely under-promoted over the years, OneNote. That's a fantastic tool, even on todays Windows tablets that simply has no parallel, and that's a decade old product.

Microsoft has a lot of very powerful capability in the Office suite that's developed over a lot of years, it's really more of a platform than a suite of applications.

Hell, if M$ paid me I'll "love Windows 8" too. :D

Which is why I'm learning Metro. The Windows Store is going to make a LOT of money for some folks. Remember, Metro apps will run on ALL Windows 8 devices, desktops, laptops, tablets, x86 and ARM. That's a market of tens of hundreds of millions of users to sell apps to through a Store that's brand spanking new. A lot of opportunity there for those who take it.

That's going to be VERY difficult to do. The next version of Office will be the best and most comprehensive productivity suite to run on tablets. Then you have to look at product that Microsoft has severely under-promoted over the years, OneNote. That's a fantastic tool, even on todays Windows tablets that simply has no parallel, and that's a decade old product.

Microsoft has a lot of very powerful capability in the Office suite that's developed over a lot of years, it's really more of a platform than a suite of applications.

Yes OneNote is great, but CALs aren't and I personally think you will see alternatives going forward.

Now there are some areas that Microsoft isn't doing too well in right now(WP7, great product, poor adoption) but overall...

Nokia got that covered I believe. WP7 got a lot of traction now. The only resistance is the Android/iPhone fanboys who knew about WP7 and perceives it as a rival.

Yes OneNote is great, but CALs aren't and I personally think you will see alternatives going forward.

Honestly when you put out the word 'alternatives', I was imagining another app-based war just like IE vs FF vs Chrome vs Opera.

In just about every post in this thread you make it sound like OpenOffice and Linux has just been invented. Microsoft products have never been cheap. Not 20 years ago and not today. And they're doing just fine.

Microsoft isn't about cost. They're about standards.

Bill Gates isn't exactly innovative either. Windows has been the same overall since 1995, and I'm not talking about performance and GUI. I'm talking about Start Menu placement, the existence of the Control Panel, Internet Explorer, things like that. It's what customers are used to.

Microsoft is here to stay.

Do you work in an office that uses Windows PCs?

Do you work in an office that uses Microsoft Office?

I predict that the vast majority of people will answer 'yes' to both of these questions.

What's your point? At one time every office had typewriters. Did you think those would never go away since they were so common?

Sure, lets see you play BF3 on any alternative OS.

LOL, how many years have Microsoft been a dead company now? People have been parroting this for almost a decade now. Microsoft will die someday but not in the immediate future.

What's your point? At one time every office had typewriters. Did you think those would never go away since they were so common?

The difference between digital and physical was strong enough to blow away the typewriter. Are you suggesting there's a better ''alternative'' than MS's digital typewriter? I'd like to see that kind of innovation. Reading and writing/typing ain't going anywhere anytime soon, and MS Office cradles that well.

Back