Intel Ivy Bridge-E Core i7-4930K (ES) Preview.

lol so basically you just needed to read the articles header and it tells you everything you need to know.

Wake me up when there is an 8 core part.

Thanks for the link. Disapointing to say the least; this was my planned upgrade path...

No platform upgrade either right? Still X79, except with PCIE 3.0 fully supported?

well now i feel even better about my 3930k choice in june. although, i do like to see new architecture improve on higher levels.

No platform upgrade either right? Still X79, except with PCIE 3.0 fully supported?

Not until Haswell-E, which rumors on an X99 platform with DDR4. The only thing I could think of, would be upgrading for native PCIE3 on Nvidia, and then only for 3-way SLI+ setups. My two GTX780s show zero difference PCIE2.0 x16 vx PCIE3.0 x16

umm, arent we all here for the memory controller? How come no tests to see how high it overclocks ram over sandy-e.

As far as Pci-e 3.0.... my 3930k runs Pci-e 3.0 just fine. For Nvidia cards I have to use a little force 3.0 tool, but for my 7990 the card installed stock at 3.0 and I had to do nothing. Gpu-z just reports it at 3.0

Thats what happens when there is no competition in the high end CPU market, if AMD could actually make a CPU that can outperform the high end i7's, Intel wouldn't have to do this. Other than that I couldn't care less about IB-E, though the power draw is somewhat impressive thanks to 22nm but they should have manufactured SB-E on 22nm back then.

And also, it would be great if Intel actually released a new chipset for LGA 2011, because X79 is old, crippled and I need more native SATA 3 and USB3.0 ports. Having only two native SATA 3 isn't enough and third party USB 3.0 sucks.

Thats what happens when there is no competition in the high end CPU market, if AMD could actually make a CPU that can outperform the high end i7's, Intel wouldn't have to do this.

AMD is too small to have any real impact on Intel. Back when AMD dominated in the Athlon 64 days Intel just pushed them out of the market. The penalties for doing so ($1.45 billion in the EU) are small enough that they still make more money by breaking the law.

Demand drives innovation. The PC market has been stagnant for a few years for various reasons. I would argue it has more to do with the recession than computers being 'fast enough,' but it doesn't matter. The decline in PC sales and the rise of low-cost ARM devices is pushing both companies away from high-end chips.

Ive spoke this a MILLION times, If people want AMD to be competitive with Intel, you have to support AMD threw thick and thin. Purchase their products for your family and friends who just need a good working reliable computer, use intel yourself if you so choose yourself or for overclocking.
If the Idiotic market realized this, we would have two chipzillas fighting it out head to head, and we would have much better products for much cheaper

I'm almost at a loss as to what to do now... hope the retail chips will be better clockers? SB-E clocked better after release didn't they?

Haswell E seems too long to wait for me and with a strong likely hood of me adding a third 780 over the next few months (banking the release of a real 120Hz 1400p in the next year), I don't think the current Haswell is a good option for me, but perhaps worth considering as something to hold me over.

Decisions decisions.

Ive spoke this a MILLION times, If people want AMD to be competitive with Intel, you have to support AMD threw thick and thin. Purchase their products for your family and friends who just need a good working reliable computer, use intel yourself if you so choose yourself or for overclocking.
If the Idiotic market realized this, we would have two chipzillas fighting it out head to head, and we would have much better products for much cheaper

no reason to buy substandard stuff just to keep them around, you either swim or sink in business. they didnt make the right choices and now they are paying for it.

I'm almost at a loss as to what to do now... hope the retail chips will be better clockers? SB-E clocked better after release didn't they?

Doubtful. The ceiling on the socket 1155 Ivy Bridge parts was the same a what we're seeing in these Ivy Bridge-E previews: ~4.5GHz.

Haswell E seems too long to wait for me and with a strong likely hood of me adding a third 780 over the next few months (banking the release of a real 120Hz 1400p in the next year), I don't think the current Haswell is a good option for me, but perhaps worth considering as something to hold me over.

Haswell-E will probably be more of the same. Slightly better IPC, but they'll max out around 4.3 GHz like the socket 1150 Haswell chips. You'll get the same performance, lower power consumption, new chipset/motherboards with native USB3 and more than two SATA 6GB/s ports on the Intel controller, and DDR4.

no reason to buy substandard stuff just to keep them around, you either swim or sink in business. they didnt make the right choices and now they are paying for it.

Their midrange stuff is fine for what it is, and the FX chips are competitively priced for 1080p/single GPU gaming. You can't really blame them for not being able to compete on the bleeding edge given how much smaller they are and Intel's control over computer manufacturers. What exactly could AMD have done to stop Intel from paying off Dell/HP/Acer/etc to not use the Athlon 64?

Last edited:
For 3820 owners, it might be a worthwhile investment when the 4820K hits. It's be nice to have a K series.
I do wish they push out an 8 core tho.

With that decision making, we all will be paying WAY more for FAR less in the near future. We can all look to people like you then and say "well we let AMD sink, how do we like the market now?"

Most people are too blind or stupid to see past their own idiotic view to realize that when any one company has a monopoly in a market the customer looses BIG time.

Most people are too blind or stupid to see past their own idiotic view to realize that when any one company has a monopoly in a market the customer looses BIG time.
Seriously?

A monopoly does make the consumer lose, yes... but is it the responsibility of that consumer to waste money on what they perceive to be inferior product solely to keep that company afloat? Hardly.

Do you purchase products of inferior pricing and quality to make sure prices stay lower in the long run?

FYI- I'm not implying that Intel is superior.

Seriously?

A monopoly does make the consumer lose, yes... but is it the responsibility of that consumer to waste money on what they perceive to be inferior product solely to keep that company afloat? Hardly.

Do you purchase products of inferior pricing and quality to make sure prices stay lower in the long run?

FYI- I'm not implying that Intel is superior.

Acctually I do. I personally have an Intel 3930k, however, I purchase my family, including my wife all AMD cpus. My wife has an 8350, two of my brothers have 8120/8150 and my dad a phenom. My family for christmas this year will all recieve Upgrade AMD motherboards, and CPUS, and the one single brother who is using an old Q6600 will also recieve an AMD product. I encourage everone I know to buy amd if they are not overclockers or benchmarkers because I realize that without that support AMD is good as done and without another chip manufacturer, this will become no fun QUICK.

Gosh asking the consumer to actually use their brain and take responsability for the market conditions that affect them diredtly, Holy smokes what a revolutionary Idea! I bet we all thought that was just the job of the government.

You're not understanding what other people are writing. (and vice versa)

People in the thread are choosing not to buy AMD products because they perceive them to be worse than their competitor's products. That includes their value comparisons. In this case it's an enthusiast believing that the AMD high end is not sufficient for their purposes. Well.. OK.

If they were looking for a budget build for a family member not interested in high end computing would there be any reason they would not go for the economical "bang for the buck" parts? In this case it's AMD. What if it were Intel later on? Would you still go for AMD parts?

As long as there are only 2 companies making processors, I will continue to do my part to ensure the competetive nature of the market.
Without this, my interests are directly affected. Same reason I run a 7990 on my rampage iv extreme and sold all 5 if my nvidia cards.

I don't care what you guys spend your money on or why you do it. What I care about are the results of the 4930K, and I like what I see. I think it's finally time to jump ship on my Q6600.

Does anybody know if the 4930k uses solder for the TIM? It would really be a bummer if Intel moves to the junky thermal paste on the enthusiast platform.

I think Intel is sticking with the crappy paste. I read somewhere its simply cheaper than them to solder

So because Intel has released an incremental update that everyone agrees is better but nobody's excited about, our response is to reward AMD for failing to bring a competitive product to market. That's not going to make AMD produce a faster processor. Rewarding AMD for producing cheap, slow processors will make them double down on cheap, slow processors.

Here's a question - if I were to wave a magic wand and grant AMD some R&D capital to burn, would they think the sales of LGA2011 CPUs were intriguing enough that they'd want to tap into that market? Or would they spend it making products for more lucrative markets?

With that decision making, we all will be paying WAY more for FAR less in the near future. We can all look to people like you then and say "well we let AMD sink, how do we like the market now?"

How is no AMD any different from what we have now? Is AMD really what's driving innovation at Intel? How would IB-E look any different if AMD were gone?

I think Intel is sticking with the crappy paste. I read somewhere its simply cheaper than them to solder

You would most likely be 99% wrong my friend. There was an idiot on ChipHell that assumed the same thing and tried to de-lid the 49XX ES cpu he had..Needless to say all he did was crack the die in two, and half of it came off the PCB packaging and was stuck to the IHS..You could see where the solder separated from the IHS on the half of the die that wasn't ripped off..

I believe this is what you are looking for
http://www.chiploco.com/intel-ivy-bridge-e-core-i7-4960x-25704/

Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Delid-_3.jpg

Back