• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Intel 'Ivy Bridge' Core Desktop Processor Prices Compiled

This plus awesome microcenter bundles should make for one heck of a cheap killer upgrade from my 920, even if the upgrade is only in terms of lower power consumption.
 
Just like I though. AMD's inability to compete, i.e Bulldozer, has no effect on Intel's pricing scheme... They got to keep people interested in upgrades, if not with pure performance, price will do the trick....;)
 
Just like I though. AMD's inability to compete, i.e Bulldozer, has no effect on Intel's pricing scheme... They got to keep people interested in upgrades, if not with pure performance, price will do the trick....;)

I got scared about that and went with Sandy Bridge.. looks like I shouldve been a bit more patient..

all good though really happy with my new build.. huge step up (to me at least) from a Core2Duo..
 
Looks like Ill be eating crow cause I was one of those that was sure Intel would bump the prices a little. I was figuring $250 for a 2500K equivalent. Glad I was wrong.
 
Well this puts me in a spot. I recently finished buying parts for a 2500k build, but everything is unopened. Do I return it all and wait another few months for IB, or go ahead since the performance difference is not that great (its a tick after all)?
 
I'd stick with your SB. Its a good 4 months til IB drops and by then you'll probably be wanting to upgrade anyway. ;)
 
I'm still definitely considering this over my current CPU as well. Seriously, the 3770K is very intriguing.
 
I'd stick with your SB. Its a good 4 months til IB drops and by then you'll probably be wanting to upgrade anyway. ;)

I usually upgrade after at least 3 years. My current cpu is a Q6600 so I want this to last until least Broadwell or maybe even Skylake (2014-2015 timeframe).
 
Youre one of the lucky ones then. Ive got chronic upgrade syndrome and Im on my 4th CPU in 3 years. And despite the fact that Ive had this X6 only 7 or 8 months, Im dying to get something new. Was waiting for Bulldozer but looks like Ill be going Intel next time around. Would love to get something now but with IB 4 months down the road, the smart thing would be to wait til it hits. But then 4 CPU's in 3 years aint exactly smart. :D
 
I usually upgrade after at least 3 years. My current cpu is a Q6600 so I want this to last until least Broadwell or maybe even Skylake (2014-2015 timeframe).

that sounds just like me; have a Q6600 and will probably get an ivy bridge as my next CPU.
 
Noticed that there is no equivalent for 2600K, now that 2700K is the top of the line.
Intel prices based on market segment.

They also know that if they make the difference between HT vs non HT (2500K vs 2(6/7)00Ks) too much people just go buy the 2500K.

Given that the cheapest SB-E is around $600 they could have charged more for the 2700K and its IB equivalent but they do not as there is a limit to what the typical buyer will pay for the CPU vs the GPU/SSD etc.
 
Noticed that there is no equivalent for 2600K, now that 2700K is the top of the line.
Intel prices based on market segment.

They also know that if they make the difference between HT vs non HT (2500K vs 2(6/7)00Ks) too much people just go buy the 2500K.

Given that the cheapest SB-E is around $600 they could have charged more for the 2700K and its IB equivalent but they do not as there is a limit to what the typical buyer will pay for the CPU vs the GPU/SSD etc.

That's because HT is a niche segment - very few applications (and even fewer games/utilities) take any advantage of it. The difference between 2500K and 2600K with SB now is $100, and other than e-peen, why does 2600K sell?

i5-3570K makes for an interesting dilemma - a mere $9USD over its SB counterpart. Even if you don't plan to upgrade, it may well be worth it to buy the IB version of i5-K as a backup/spare CPU if the price diff holds up.

BD's failure - as expected - didn't matter a jot to Intel's pricing strategy. Intel's real competition (other than ARM) is Intel's old stuff in the middle-end and up, not AMD so much (except in the value/budget sector).
 
where is the 6 core 12T beast!!!?

I was holding out for IB 8 core, but when it became apparent that this was the release, I went with the SB-E 3930k. Hopefully IB-E will be socket 2011 and I can do a chip drop for a cooler faster miore cores in a year. This whole release kinda confused me, I thought IB was going to go socket 2011 down the line...:confused:
 
Looking good, but the real issue will be Ivy Bridge-E to see if they can avoid the SB-E price foul-up. I'd really like to upgrade from 1366 to 2011, but I am not going to do it with SB-E when a hex-core that's "partially" unlocked and with "almost" all the cache costs $700 (not to mention the cost of a high end X79 motherboard to make use of all that power, and upgrading to QuadChannel RAM.)
 
Looking good, but the real issue will be Ivy Bridge-E to see if they can avoid the SB-E price foul-up. I'd really like to upgrade from 1366 to 2011, but I am not going to do it with SB-E when a hex-core that's "partially" unlocked and with "almost" all the cache costs $700 (not to mention the cost of a high end X79 motherboard to make use of all that power, and upgrading to QuadChannel RAM.)

Highly doubt it's going to happen. Intel's trying to differentiate enthusiast 2011 from mainstream 1155 more than they did with 1366 and 1156. 1366 was so close to 1156 that most people bought 1366 over 1156. They don't want that to happen again apparently.
 
Highly doubt it's going to happen. Intel's trying to differentiate enthusiast 2011 from mainstream 1155 more than they did with 1366 and 1156. 1366 was so close to 1156 that most people bought 1366 over 1156. They don't want that to happen again apparently.

That's a really good point. With the prices (and sometimes performance) so close between the 1366/1156 high end/low end, it really didn't make a whole lot of sense to offer 2 platforms. With SB-E that line has become a bit thicker and profound, but some people were quite harsh on Intel (and rightfully so) with the X79 chipset fiasco and the price-to-performance of the chips, but the latter was mainly due to just how well Sandy Bridge 1155 parts (mainly the 2600k) performed in comparison to 2011 chips for nearly all relevant tasks.

Considering the clock speeds are stagnant from 32nm SB > 22nm IB chips, I'd expect Intel wants to widen that gap between the 1155 and 2011 even further by holding the chips back to provide a moderate but not incredible performance increase. With AMD being left in the dust they can certainly afford to do that and they almost certainly don't have yield issues to be forced to clock them lower.
 
Looking good, but the real issue will be Ivy Bridge-E to see if they can avoid the SB-E price foul-up. I'd really like to upgrade from 1366 to 2011, but I am not going to do it with SB-E when a hex-core that's "partially" unlocked and with "almost" all the cache costs $700 (not to mention the cost of a high end X79 motherboard to make use of all that power, and upgrading to QuadChannel RAM.)

What price foul-up? The 3930k is selling for $600 at Newegg and TigerDirect and that is with current retail markup above MSRP. Yes the X79 motherboards are expensive but these are enthusiast level high-end overclocking and gaming motherboards of which many of them offer 8 DIMM slots as well as 40 PCI-E lanes compared to only 16 on Sandy Bridge p67/z68 chipset boards and if you can afford multiple high-end graphics cards you can afford a $300-$450 motherboard. And as far as Quad Channel RAM I picked up three 16GB kits during the Black Friday sales for around $60-$65 a piece. But regardless SB-E isn't targeted towards mainstream users that are on a budget and neither will be IVB-E.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top