I have little bias per this post, this post is done on AMD-785G chipset computer. I have setup with integrated nvidia graphic/chipset. I do use Intel-based OEM machines. There is no demeaning in this post.
Intel is the most considerate...
1. with the launch of SB, high praise and also a lot of complicated comments.
2. One of the core issues relates to P67 chipset and H67 chipset
2a. P67 supports overclocking, but no GPU function
2b. H67 supports GPU/Quick Sync, but no overclocking
3. Understandably, many have opinions on the supposed limitations.
----------------------------------------------------
Reverse Thinking
1. By de-activating GPU function on P67, AMD/nVidia can sell not only high-end GPU, but also low-end GPU for other non-gaming group of users on this platform.
1a. If Intel activated GPU function on P67, as all media outlets have been writing, the lowest-end GPU market is gone for good for AMD/nVidia on the prospect of selling low-end GPU on this Intel chipset platform.
1b. Based on 1a, AMD/nVidia fans do not need to praise, but suppose at least neutral on this aspect. I would be extremely surprise if they complaint on this point.
2. By not-activating overclocking support on H65/H67 chipset series(even limited scale), it allows easy openings for entry-mid level desktop markets for AMD/nVidia (as you know, soon CPU-company)
2a. Based on recent SB results, I think almost everyone is sure of general Intel desktop parts performance.
2b. Based on generic technology progress, I think almost everyone is sure of process engineering performance of intel, at least short to mid-term wise.
2c. Based on posted results and user self-generated results seen on many forums, at least you know this is not theory.
2d. If Intel activated overclocking on all parts and all consumer chipsets, on generally accepted macro inspection, I suspect almost everyone will agree Intel will be very high on the consideration for any build, even the cheapest one. You dont need to take my words, just see the user self-generated builds/performance/efficiency numbers. With the latest SB numbers, the effect must be wide-reaching.
2e. So again, I would be very surprise if AMD/nVidia fans claim/complaint otherwise
By doing what is being layout,
3a. Intel allows alpha geeks to do what they want
3b. Intel allows techical folks to build with confident results
3c. Intel allows reasonable build even for most entry-level to lower-mid with sensible performance, no loss to many, look at perf of even lowest rated part.
3d. And allow nVidia/AMD/others to compliment with other parts if you need more
3e. And if you do not agree, it does allow alternative competitive builds, so it looks like other people can get a piece of the pie as well.
Obviously Intel needs to get return on their investment, so in case you really focus on intensive computing, then Intel expects some margins, for example, from servers, high-end parts, ECC support, high number PCI-E lanes, etc. Admittedly, the margin is high.
However, think about it, it does allow others to compliment with additional parts/alternative setups, if you so want. For example, I do build AMD setup with ECC RAM, no bias, I can only do what I can afford. However, if others seeking maximum performance, then Intel build will be considered.
Intel is the most considerate...
1. with the launch of SB, high praise and also a lot of complicated comments.
2. One of the core issues relates to P67 chipset and H67 chipset
2a. P67 supports overclocking, but no GPU function
2b. H67 supports GPU/Quick Sync, but no overclocking
3. Understandably, many have opinions on the supposed limitations.
----------------------------------------------------
Reverse Thinking
1. By de-activating GPU function on P67, AMD/nVidia can sell not only high-end GPU, but also low-end GPU for other non-gaming group of users on this platform.
1a. If Intel activated GPU function on P67, as all media outlets have been writing, the lowest-end GPU market is gone for good for AMD/nVidia on the prospect of selling low-end GPU on this Intel chipset platform.
1b. Based on 1a, AMD/nVidia fans do not need to praise, but suppose at least neutral on this aspect. I would be extremely surprise if they complaint on this point.
2. By not-activating overclocking support on H65/H67 chipset series(even limited scale), it allows easy openings for entry-mid level desktop markets for AMD/nVidia (as you know, soon CPU-company)
2a. Based on recent SB results, I think almost everyone is sure of general Intel desktop parts performance.
2b. Based on generic technology progress, I think almost everyone is sure of process engineering performance of intel, at least short to mid-term wise.
2c. Based on posted results and user self-generated results seen on many forums, at least you know this is not theory.
2d. If Intel activated overclocking on all parts and all consumer chipsets, on generally accepted macro inspection, I suspect almost everyone will agree Intel will be very high on the consideration for any build, even the cheapest one. You dont need to take my words, just see the user self-generated builds/performance/efficiency numbers. With the latest SB numbers, the effect must be wide-reaching.
2e. So again, I would be very surprise if AMD/nVidia fans claim/complaint otherwise
By doing what is being layout,
3a. Intel allows alpha geeks to do what they want
3b. Intel allows techical folks to build with confident results
3c. Intel allows reasonable build even for most entry-level to lower-mid with sensible performance, no loss to many, look at perf of even lowest rated part.
3d. And allow nVidia/AMD/others to compliment with other parts if you need more
3e. And if you do not agree, it does allow alternative competitive builds, so it looks like other people can get a piece of the pie as well.
Obviously Intel needs to get return on their investment, so in case you really focus on intensive computing, then Intel expects some margins, for example, from servers, high-end parts, ECC support, high number PCI-E lanes, etc. Admittedly, the margin is high.
However, think about it, it does allow others to compliment with additional parts/alternative setups, if you so want. For example, I do build AMD setup with ECC RAM, no bias, I can only do what I can afford. However, if others seeking maximum performance, then Intel build will be considered.
Last edited: