Intel Introduces Performance Class SSDs for Gamers

How about a led backlit skull case we can change the colors for the few of us that still like windowed cases and build our own instead?

How about they do some real live tests

load up some games and then do timing on how long it takes games to start on this new Intel drive vs others

then measure actual in game performance

We know the answer, because it won't be a dam difference from existing $150 for 240G SSD's now out.....

Waste of money.

If you are running a traditional HD vs SSD then your loading times are fast so technically yes you would get gold faster ;)

When I was playing Skyrim on a 250 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, load times were pretty much the same as they were compared to some youtube videos I've watched where people have pointed out they're using SSDs. I'd get a blink of loading for like 1-2 seconds and would be able to do stuff just like SSD people and I had a lot of mod junk installed. My computer cost $330 to build in November of 2012 so it was not at all high end otherwise. I've long since given up gaming though because I thought it was time to grow out of that, but yeah ... maybe other games are different, but I don't think Intel's skull-festooned drive is really _that_ big of a performance gain.

I've had SSD equipped laptops at work too and they're really only a marginal amount faster than duplicate hardware with a 7200 or 5400 RPM hard drive. It really isn't the huge speed improvement people make it out to be. Yes, stuff seems to be a little faster here and there, but I'm using 5400 RPM 160 GB drives in my two laptops and I don't wait for stuff. So yeah, SSDs are okay, but just not that exciting to me and the skull thing is a seriously "Fast and Furious" level of silly.

When I was playing Skyrim on a 250 GB 7200 RPM hard drive, load times were pretty much the same as they were compared to some youtube videos I've watched where people have pointed out they're using SSDs. I'd get a blink of loading for like 1-2 seconds and would be able to do stuff just like SSD people and I had a lot of mod junk installed. My computer cost $330 to build in November of 2012 so it was not at all high end otherwise. I've long since given up gaming though because I thought it was time to grow out of that, but yeah ... maybe other games are different, but I don't think Intel's skull-festooned drive is really _that_ big of a performance gain.

I've had SSD equipped laptops at work too and they're really only a marginal amount faster than duplicate hardware with a 7200 or 5400 RPM hard drive. It really isn't the huge speed improvement people make it out to be. Yes, stuff seems to be a little faster here and there, but I'm using 5400 RPM 160 GB drives in my two laptops and I don't wait for stuff. So yeah, SSDs are okay, but just not that exciting to me and the skull thing is a seriously "Fast and Furious" level of silly.

Dumbest post ever.

Dumbest post ever.

I would apologize, but it's pretty much true. SSDs make a difference in limited situations and in ways that turn into a few seconds here or there in day to day computer tasks. They don't really even save that much power or extend battery life significantly over using a laptop hard disk. Yes, you can drop them and they're a little more abusable, but aside from that, the advantages just don't matter when you're checking e-mail, watching a movie, or even playing a video game once the area/level/whatever is loaded and my personal experiences don't even show a huge advantage in the loading junk and booting up. It's also true that Intel knows its market segments and the right people thought it was worth the cost of etching a silly looking skull on the outside of the case so that the target audience would get all warm and gooey about how "mega-kewl" it looks.

Dumbest post ever.

I have no idea how he isn't banned yet. Trolls/off-topic in almost every thread. If anyone thinks a regular HDD is even close to the speed of an SSD, they really are just trolling.

I have no idea how he isn't banned yet. Trolls/off-topic in almost every thread. If anyone thinks a regular HDD is even close to the speed of an SSD, they really are just trolling.

I've clearly outlined the conditions and cited a specific example, personal experiences, and disclaimed them. If you'd actually read my posts instead of skimming and getting upset because it disagrees with the "moar powar!" objective of computer building, you'd understand the circumstances under which I reached the conclusions I've made and it would make a lot more sense. I guess it's easier to call anything you disagree with a silly name though. *shrugs* It's the Intertubes so I guess that's how people deal with cognitive dissonance when they're online.

Back