Intel Integer Scaling tweet

Was just about to post about this. This has been requested on NVIDIA's community forums for at least a decade. For the first few years it was just ignored, then a representative said it was "impossible." Hopefully this will kick both AMD and NVIDIA in the ass to wake them up that this is not only more wanted than they think, but it is necessary in this age of emerging 8K displays. Hell, you'd think NVIDIA would be completely onboard with it when they are recommending 1920x1080 resolution for ray tracing on their current top-tier hardware.

I'd need to see it in motion. Bet it would look horrible in worst cases. Thinking of the Quake2 wobbly gun models here... :wtf:

Not sure what are people's expectations with this, but it isn't all that great in my eyes; Mostly since most of those old classic games are not correctly understood by today's hardware. (They are correctly understood, but there were tricks in past used to accomplish it - some of them do not work as expected anymore.)

// what I've noticed even with current displays (1080p/1440p) 1024x768 on old video card renders it much better - or what i mean looks much better as if it was with higher resolution. The newer cards do not seem to scale well down to lower resolutions they weren't made for and thus graphics look well... not so good.

Not sure what are people's expectations with this, but it isn't all that great in my eyes; Mostly since most of those old classic games are not correctly understood by today's hardware. (They are correctly understood, but there were tricks in past used to accomplish it - some of them do not work as expected anymore.)

// what I've noticed even with current displays (1080p/1440p) 1024x768 on old video card renders it much better - or what i mean looks much better as if it was with higher resolution. The newer cards do not seem to scale well down to lower resolutions they weren't made for and thus graphics look well... not so good.

That might be the display. With Nvidia you can choose either the display or GPU to do the scaling. I've always found the display works best though, and I swear there's slight latency hit with using the GPU too.

This is pretty much must-have feature for 8K displays and even for 4K displays
Bilinear scaling (or whatever trickery monitor does itself) often looks terribly blurred, much more than it needs to be.

That might be the display. With Nvidia you can choose either the display or GPU to do the scaling. I've always found the display works best though, and I swear there's slight latency hit with using the GPU too.

Which is kind of odd, because scaling images is something GPUs are _really_ good at. My guess would probably a tiny fraction of a single millisecond.

Was just about to post about this. This has been requested on NVIDIA's community forums for at least a decade. For the first few years it was just ignored, then a representative said it was "impossible." Hopefully this will kick both AMD and NVIDIA in the ass to wake them up that this is not only more wanted than they think, but it is necessary in this age of emerging 8K displays. Hell, you'd think NVIDIA would be completely onboard with it when they are recommending 1920x1080 resolution for ray tracing on their current top-tier hardware.

I'm actually curious and obviously out of the loop here. My experience with integer scaling is for "pixel style" titles and actual retro stuff in emulators.

Does this really look better on high resolution displays than traditional bilinear scaling in general usage? It's interesting we've tried so hard to remove edges - apparently we went a bridge/pixel too far in some cases?

I'm actually curious and obviously out of the loop here. My experience with integer scaling is for "pixel style" titles and actual retro stuff in emulators.

Does this really look better on high resolution displays than traditional bilinear scaling in general usage? It's interesting we've tried so hard to remove edges - apparently we went a bridge/pixel too far in some cases?
It's going to be more obvious in pixel games, but the same blurriness happens with 3D games too because it's still being rendered as an array of pixels. It is easy to notice if you try playing a game back-to-back first at 1920x1080 then at 3840x2160 and vice versa using the same settings and a capped framerate.

Back