• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel I7 920 Vs 970

EagleMDB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
227
Guys,


I have a chance to upgrade to an Intel 970 from a 920, I am using liquid cooling now, and I have used Chilled liquid on this system and may go back at some point. I am at 4.6ghz now, do you think i would see much of a difference? Maybe some more head room?
 
Depends on what you do with your PC. How much is the upgrade?

Cooling won't be a problem.
 
Do you use it for anything that needs the two extra cores?

One thing to note: The IMC on those westmere chips aren't known to be better, rather are known to be a lither worse, than the 45nm quads...
 
I do a few things that would use them, But I dont know that it is enough to justify. I was thinking that the smaller fab size as well as the faster default core speed, might make it better for heat as well as maybe able to squeeze out some more speed. Am I way off?
 
No way, keep your 920. You have a golden chip, chances are the 970 will hit the same clock!
 
Why do you say I have a golden chip? And on a side note anyone have any suggestions on memory that will push more than 1700mhz??
 
Because 4.6 stable is a high OC for a 1366 chip that isn't an X series or just 1366 chip in general.
 
GSkill Trident 2000 - I'm running 2x 6gb sets. 4.2 HT on w/920 on air with slight voltage bump. Memory is running around 1900 @ 9-9-9-24

I think I may pick up an H70 and see if I can get at least 4.5 with a bit more voltage, or some better fans - the gentle typhoons just aren't cutting it - hitting around 80-84 according to RT while running Linx.
 
i got my 970 for $600. if u can get one for $300, i say get the 970. (970 is faster than the 960.)
 
I have the 970, its worth it especially if you use it for a lot of encoding work, photoshop, etc a lot faster than the 920/930/950 that I have owned in the past. I put a mild overclock of 4.0ghz with 24gb of Ram.
 
Back
Top