Intel I7 8 cores/Oct core release date

smoothmove

Limp Gawd
Has the release date for the 8 core Intel I7 been released? Not just 4 cores with Hyperthreading.

I searched and didn't find it. Want to upgrade my Q6600, but can' see it if it is only to the same performance.

Thanks, Stan

Has the release date for the 8 core Intel I7 been released? Not just 4 cores with Hyperthreading.

I searched and didn't find it. Want to upgrade my Q6600, but can' see it if it is only to the same performance.

Thanks, Stan

I was wondering the same thing. I'm looking to build a new rig.

Maybe sometime when we have software that actually uses 2/4 cores they will release a cpu with 8 cores :p

There is no Core i7 8 core chip. The 8 core Nehalem is the MP Beckton-EX that uses a new Xeon socket, and is not coming out until the middle of next year. You might see a desktop 8 core chip some time in the far future, but it's not on the roadmap yet. If you really want one anytime next year, be prepared to pay a hefty sum for a workstation board and high end Xeon chip(s).

There is no Core i7 8 core chip. The 8 core Nehalem is the MP Beckton-EX that uses a new Xeon socket, and is not coming out until the middle of next year. You might see a desktop 8 core chip some time in the far future, but it's not on the roadmap yet. If you really want one anytime next year, be prepared to pay a hefty sum for a workstation board and high end Xeon chip(s).
What this guy said. :D

8 cores for desktops might come in the form of XE models in 2010 with the Westmere 32nm
generation.

Back