Intel HD3000 for HTPC

rsq

Limp Gawd
Is there anyone here that has experience with an Intel HD3000 GPU for HTPC?

I have a sandy bridge 2600K CPU in my main PC. I would like to upgrade my main PC and was wondering if I can re-use the mainboard and CPU for my HTPC.

I would use ubuntu 12.04 LTS as OS.

I worry a bit about the audio that should be transported over the HDMI. I can do that with my GF570 under ubuntu, but I don't know if the Intel GPU supports that.

Before I start disassembling my main PC for testing with the Intel GPU, I would like to hear some feedback if the HD3000 is in general useable for HTPC. I need my computer and I cannot afford to have it offline for weeks while I mess with configuration settings. Since this will influence my buying decisions for the upgrade, I am looking for some feedback before I proceed.

Any input is welcome. You can even call me a moron, as long as you specify why :)

ubuntu has a live cd feature. Boot from the cd and select try without installing. Have your computer hooked to the tv via hdmi, play some music and listen for sound. If it works, you're good to go. If it doesn't then it's back to the drawing board.

forgot to mention, take out your video card first.

Or I could use the livecd and remove the video card ...

That solution must have been too simple for my brain to accept. I must be an idiot...

Thanks halo :)

Yes it will work just fine. People have used all the way down to HD1000 with solid results. I personally am using the HD4000 on a i5-3570k in my HTPC build. The XBMC hardware forum is a great reference for minimum HTPC specs as well.

I'm using HD2000 on an i3-2100, and any playback issues I've had have been codec related rather than horsepower related. HD3000 would be plenty.

yep. i3 2100 has been my go-to for HTPC builds and budget gaming builds for the past 2 years.

It works perfectly for HTPC

Yes, HD3000 is plenty (in fact, I'd consider it the high-end) and yes HDMI audio works fine. That said, a 2600K is disgustingly overpowered for an HTPC. If you ever build another desktop, make sure you take the 2600K out of the HTPC and replace it with a cheaper chip.

I'm using the HD3000 for my HTPC in the living room running XBMC without any issue.

Back