Intel Haswell i7-4770K IPC and Overclocking Review @ [H]

AMD is going to release two new chips as there new flagship will be the FX 9000 with 4.8Ghz and turbo to 5Ghz ..TDP is said to be 225watts but anyone running 2 Titans can get a crap about power useage..lol

Really wish you had. I'm sitting on a 950 at 4ghz and would have loved to see something comparable to see if it's worth the jump. Great review anyway but not sure that it's worth leaving a 950 at 4ghz for the money.

Bloomfield is great, but I think at this point heat/power, sata 3(for ssds), an onboard gpu(for when you sell a gpu or one dies on you), and pci-3 are all pretty good reasons to change platforms.

Kind of regret not going for a 2600k originally. Expected to upgrade to a 4/8 CPU with Ivy or Haswell but neither seems that interesting.

Thanks for the review Kyle. I think I'll be waiting for the refresh of the SB-E platform to get out of my 2600k unless I can score a really good deal on a 3930k

Still happy with my 2600k @ 4.8 so definitely not worth upgrading yet.

I used to replace the cpu/mobo yearly back in the day but these days it doesn't really seem to be worth the money.

Nice, detailed review as always. Can always count on [H] to give a frank appraisal of a new CPU generation.

Not very impressive as an enthusiast processor. The 3930k is still the thing to buy, and that's disappointing. Is Nehalem going to be the last, great architecture? Hopefully we'll see some amazing things from Haswell in the mobile space though.

nice chip but that sucks that the avg will be 4.5 would this be a lot faster then sandy at 5ghz?

Haha so much for 5+ Ghz on air with Haswell. I'll stick to my Ivy 3570k until Skylake most likely, the gains from Ivy to Haswell are just too small for me to consider it.

Great review as usual guys.

Haswell is very underwhelming for me. Guess I expected too much out of it.

Remember the glory days of PC computing when a system would be obsolete as soon as you plugged it into the wall?

Seriously.

Thanks for the review Kyle. I guess I'm happy my Sandy Bridge chip is still relevant, but it's disappointing that two generations and there are major considerable performance gains, certainly not enough to justify the cooling expense.

I guess the days of Intel competing on performance are over, now that they have to fit their chips in tablets to justify consumers spending the extra money vs. an iPad.

Really the only thing I'd even consider upgrading for is having two extra SATA3 ports on the new chipset.

I used to replace the cpu/mobo yearly back in the day but these days it doesn't really seem to be worth the money.

+1

I just looked at my newegg purchase history and I bought my I7 920, 4 years and 2 months ago.

Here's to a couple more years!

Currently having an i5 750 I was REALLY wanting Haswell to be worth it. Unfortunately it looks like I will need to sit this upgrade cycle out and wait for something with more upgrade appeal later.

Great indepth review.

While I am really disappointed with the thermals and overclocking of Haswell, I think I am committed to making the switch from my i7 920.

While it is still running like a champ at 4.4Ghz, the power savings, motherboard features (USB 3, Sata 6), and IPC improvements give me enough of an incentive to upgrade.

Will I notice a difference in gaming performance, probably not. But at least I will have a new toy to play with :)

And yet again I am left to wonder what will come along to make me want to replace my 3-year-old i7 970 hex core....

Similar situation here. Sitting on mine now for almost that long and I still have 2 cores doing...well...nothing. CPU's = Yawnnnnn....

Bloomfield is great, but I think at this point heat/power, sata 3(for ssds), an onboard gpu(for when you sell a gpu or one dies on you), and pci-3 are all pretty good reasons to change platforms.

The board I have has 2x Sata3 on it. PCI-3 isn't really needed for a single video card setup I like to go with. Onboard GPU is not a selling point at all. I have more hardware lying around than I know what to do with.

The only thing I'm looking at is a heat/power improvement and a better SATA3 chipset.

I don't do much encoding and when I do it's usually just left to run overnight so saving a few minutes doesn't matter. Looking at the real world gaming benchmarks, it seems the difference between my chip and Haswell would be under 5 fps is all cases. Just not sure there is enough improvement to justify the cost of cpu/mobo.

Nice article, appreciated seeing the @ 4.5GHz for the 3 generations and multiple high res gaming benches. Looks like there's no point in upgrading my 2+ year old SB for 1080p gaming.

My temperatures with my 3770k are crazy, but I don't see a need to upgrade. I think I'm going to delid my 3770k just to get my temps down, and maybe OC it some.

Great review Kyle - I like the way you critical examine the results in the light of your expectations, and develop a new (and surprising) stance towards haswell: 'wait and see' . Anandtech is all praise - from your review I actually experience a critical attitude toward this new processor from Intel.

Thank you!

Thanks. Good article. Hopefully will get to read those Asus motherboards which you were so interested about. Hopefully there is a mini-itx version on the way. I think I will get the Haswell T CPU's just for the temperature and build it around a mini-itx motherboard for a HTPC/gaming PC solution.

99% of the people here will never notice the difference between an OC Neph, Sandy, Ivy, or Haswell. There is just not anything we do that would use the power. Gaming is GPU bottlenecked...

We upgrade because its a hobby and after long, hard days at work, I want to come home to the fruits of my labor, a nice shiny new tech computer and bling it out.

Thats why I will be upgrading (finally) from a 4.2 i7 920.

Similar situation here. Sitting on mine now for almost that long and I still have 2 cores doing...well...nothing. CPU's = Yawnnnnn....

Same here.

What I'm going to do is buy a Caselabs case and do a complete rebuild of my current system. That'll be my scratch for any upgrade itch until Ivybridge-E/Skylake/whatever in 2014, if those seem worthy upgrades.

*States at 980X* At this rate you will die of old age before I replace you. Hopefully we will see DDR 4 and 8 core processors soon from intel.

I knew I was probably going to be staying with the Ivy 3570K. I was going to look into Haswell for a possible HTPC. But in all honesty I might just snag another Ivy chip after Haswell's release. Thanks for the honest review!

+1

I just looked at my newegg purchase history and I bought my I7 920, 4 years and 2 months ago.

Here's to a couple more years!

Nearly in the same boat myself.

My first quadcore build was from November 2009. Athlon II Propus. I could still be using it right now if not for wanting an mITX setup. And even then... i took a slight downgrade in the end.

Not trying to spark a fanboy pissing match, folks...

But I couldn't help but to notice two things. The Haswell procs seem to take on a remarkably similar core/cache layout to the Trinity CPUs... and the (lack of) increase in performance this round compared with more capable chips released before...

Has me wondering if we're truly reaching the end of practical processor design and materials (silicon) gains. There's too many similarities between Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge vs Haswell as can be said for K10 vs Bulldozer.

Hi Kyle,

Can it undervolt on stock?

I have not tried that but will give it a go, it is sitting right behind me. My GUESS is that this particular processor will do that easily.

Kyle thank you for this review. The review on another major site was like an Intel ad. As an owner if an oc i7 860, I am very disappointed after my wait for Haswell...

Well this was kind of expected but still disappointing. Doing a entire PC rebuild and wanted to change from 980x running @ 4.4 to a new proc. Just doesnt seem like its worth it for anything other than the upgrade itch.

Not disappointing, but why put out a "new gen processor" when it's not that much faster than the last three gens.

I know people keep saying there's no competition right now since AMD isn't able to match what Intel is doing, but Intel still wants your money right? I'm not upgrading that's for sure, got two 2500K's at 4.5ghz and that's enough for me. Waiting for the next true gen that will utilize faster ram, sata 8+, 8 cores and can overclock past 5 Ghz on air. :cool:

Same thing I said for Ivy bears repeating for this generation of chips. Haswell and Ivy are targeted at notebooks and AiOs rather than regular desktops. Intel has not been focused on making a better CPU for a while.

Haswell, like Ivy before it are mainly about trying to lower the power consumption a little bit while desperately trying to pull off a massive upgrade for the GPU. The end game is to break the low end GPU business largely owned by Nvidia and AMD.

Great review!

If anything, the info you guys presented made me more interested in what Ivy Bridge-E will be like. The SB-E bandwidth numbers were nuts!

Not disappointing, but why put out a "new gen processor" when it's not that much faster than the last three gens.

We'll see what happens, but maybe the performance of the lower power/notebook variants of this thing will be great compared to ivy notebook parts... the desktop parts are just along for the ride (a reversal of days of old).

Thanks for the review. Not regretting my 2600K right now. Looks like I can wait yet another generation.

I am definitely looking forward to a review of the mobile side though. The power gains are impressive there.

Bottom line is Haswell is a great CPU for mobile applications but for the desktop you Sandy and Ivy guys have no need to upgrade unless you got money to burn. I might buy one but I'm coming from a trusty Q6600.

Glad I didn't wait for Haswell. My 3770k and 2600k are humming along nicely. Thanks for the review, Kyle. Get some sleep!

Didn't expect much more performance out of these. Hard decision to upgrade or stick with SB for another year

I don't think it's a difficult decision at all; wait. Haswell's performance is not a very impressive improvement on Ivy Bridge, which itself wasn't too far ahead of SB. Factor in the price of a new motherboard plus the time and effort spent swapping out, and I don't see a reason to upgrade at all.

Haswell looks great if you're looking for a new laptop this year, though.

Anandtech is all praise - from your review I actually experience a critical attitude toward this new processor from Intel.

Anand's review is not what I'd call gushing.

There was a good post here about the 920 and not having features like SATA 3 and USB 3.0 etc..

I'm having to agree. Since my original rampage II gene died, I can't find a new decent motherboard without paying 300+ for it. I'm running a pre-owned one which annoys the hell out of me since it takes a while to boot. I also just remember my nice new Intel 520 SSD 180 GB is not getting used at it's full potential either.

Maybe getting a new z87 MB and a 4670K or 4770K might not be such a bad idea.

Back