• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Intel Haswell Devil's Canyon Performance

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
The crew at Hardware Asylum have posted a Devil's Canyon performance review today for those of you interested. For comparison purposes, you should read our Devil's Canyon: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly article and our follow-up with a retail CPU.

During our testing we decided to compare the performance advantages of the new Core i7 4790K over the older Core i7 4770K. As you may have guessed the performance of the 4790K is about what you would get if you overclocked a 4770K. The new TIM was one of the performance advantages and we are happy to report that temperatures are lower than before but still quite high considering that this is an 88W TDP processor.
 
unicorn!! been waiting for this review.

thought it was the [H] review...
 
Last edited:
Their choice of colors in the bar graphs are two shades of red that look to be separated by about one LSB in their RGB range. Who the hell came up with that?
 
I have a 4770k right now that I bought anticipating a delay for Devil's Canyon until September, which then came out three days later. It also turns out to be an absolutely horrible overclocker. I have tried overclocking it, but it thermally throttles back down to 3.7GHz. At 3.7GHz, even in single core mode, it runs as hot as 88C. So it won't even run it's full designated turbo mode.

I'm curious how a delidded 4770k performs compared to this new 4790k.
 
I have a 4770k right now that I bought anticipating a delay for Devil's Canyon until September, which then came out three days later. It also turns out to be an absolutely horrible overclocker. I have tried overclocking it, but it thermally throttles back down to 3.7GHz. At 3.7GHz, even in single core mode, it runs as hot as 88C. So it won't even run it's full designated turbo mode.

I'm curious how a delidded 4770k performs compared to this new 4790k.

Send it back to Intel. Some Haswells are just not packaged correctly--too much gap between IHS and die.

I sent Intel a 4770S that was throttling in AIDA64 at stock settings and they replaced it.

As far as the dfifference between 4790k and 4770k... there isn't much. maybe 5-10C headroom on the DC chip. That will get you maybe 100Mhz higher than a 4770k for the same thermals. They both want to be delidded.
 
Let me see...

send it back to Intel, wait a week or more for the replacement, for a defect in packaging, or delid it to correct the defect plus correct the design flaw, but invalidate my warranty.

I think I'll delid it this weekend. If I screw it up in the process, I'll get the 4790k and leave that one intact.
 
WTF?
Tell the reviewers thanks for overclocking a 4770K in the review, but wasn't the review supposed to be really about the 4790K? How about they overclock that?
 
Back
Top