Intel Has a Big Problem. It Needs to Act Like It

I don't see intel offering new cpus. As stated above, the micro-architecture needs to be changed (as I understand it). Then, let's say intel DOES offer a new cpu. Think it'll have the same pin layout as the one you have? Think intel will send you a mobo? Do you think the RAM will be compatible (for those with DDR3 mobos)? Think intel will pony up new ram?

The best I see is some sort of class action where current cpu owners (purchased after intel new about the flaw...if, indeed, it can be legally classified as a flaw), getting a few buck each.

If my past luck with lawsuits of this type hold, the end user settlement will be a coupon for a few bucks off my next purchase, with a 90 day expiry, for an Intel CPU + MB. Of course, the lawyers get paid in cash.

Has corporate America made a proper response to any of their fuckups in the last 10 years? They can't because of 1) liability and 2) shareholder value.

waiting for the best new ryzen laptop to come out, tried an Hp ryzen laptop too pricey and was sluggish and glitchy.. Hope the new Acer ryzens coming out are better. Intel has lost my faith and cash for now....

I would be more upset if we didn't have AMD with a fabulous alternative!

So, a flaming CPU?

I love Intel processors. As a company, they are ruthless. But, once you get to the top especially in an industry where it's difficult to be a competitor (high capital needed to even break into the industry), you're not going to be knocked from the top. AMD has been competing for a long time and still hasn't. They have a good run, and are an excellent competitor with great products, though. But, I feel they'll always be an alternative and never the top contender.

Just my gut feeling, "Bend over boys, you are abut to get boned." They might even throw so sand in the grease.

This is what I am loosing:

5930 6 core, Asus MB.
6950x 10 core, Asus MB. I did not buy this cpu for a 30% reduction in speed.

I do not see Asus or Intel coming up with any acceptable fix in the near future, if any fix at all. Both these system are now junk, worthless, can not give them away.

I just replaced the 5930 with a 1920x Ryzen 12 core and an MSI MB. This one I replaced PS as the Ryzen MB uses 2x8pin cpu power inputs. Most new PS have this capability. You can get by with just one.

FYI the new 1920x system kicks the Intel 10 core in the gonads. Meltdown does not effect the AMD setup. Specter still shows that it is open. AMD says it will fix the issue. I do have another 1920x, waiting for the MB.

One more FYI, I have an older 2 core Gateway laptop. It is unaffected by anything. Bullet Proof.
The point being, that is a lot of money spent to fix a bunch of Intel BS. We all are on the stern of the ship listening to the music "as it goes down."

Byte Me Intel.

Oh they will pretend to fix it making excuses but only next gen will fix it. I have 4 I7 laptops from Sandycreek , to Haswell to a Kabylake VR laptop and as typical companies do they won't spend the cash to really do anything. Useless rhetoric. This will hurt Intel but they won't die and the customer base will rebuild. I for one won't be in it.

They might not have a problem at all! If this was government mandated, there is no problem.

Not likely with Windows Defender and Malwarebytes premium running...Plus extremely careful where I go and anything I download.....

the Inspectre tool form Gibson has anyone tried it? I installed it ran as admin and there are two options enable or disable meltdown protection. I have installed the meltdown patch however when I run the tool as administrator it tells me I don't have meltdown enabled but in more info it tells me I do . When I click enable nothing changes. When I select disable nothing happens. I cannot think of a more worthless utility. WTF!?

because regular people are gonna hear about this and resale value tanks.

I highly doubt it will make much difference. Resale of computer parts doesn't really bring much money but it sure does bring a lot of bullshit and frustration. That's pretty much the reason I haven't attempted to sell my parts in a long time. These same regular people will also hear about a software fix or simply won't care. There won't be a hardware fix for years and folks will just buy their computers as they did.

Just my gut feeling, "Bend over boys, you are abut to get boned." They might even throw so sand in the grease.

This is what I am loosing:

5930 6 core, Asus MB.
6950x 10 core, Asus MB. I did not buy this cpu for a 30% reduction in speed.

I do not see Asus or Intel coming up with any acceptable fix in the near future, if any fix at all. Both these system are now junk, worthless, can not give them away.

I think this is well overstated. The NIB price of the 6950x is still well over $1k USD with used ones in the high triple digits. Desktop parts aren't the ones really getting the brunt of this, it's Xeons.

I think this is well overstated. The NIB price of the 6950x is still well over $1k USD with used ones in the high triple digits. Desktop parts aren't the ones really getting the brunt of this, it's Xeons.
Most modern Xeon systems within the last 2-3 generations have had firmware updates and patches very recently, which is nice that Intel and these other companies are taking the server/enterprise side of things more seriously.
Where the sadness hits home is for Z200 and lower non-Xeon systems that we are still waiting for firmware updates and patches for; not Intel's fault, it just takes time - and hopefully these manufacturers actually follow through with their news statements about patches for the last few chipset generations.

You are right, though, the main performance hit from this won't be for gaming, video editing/rendering, and other home or workstation functions.
It is mainly the server-side with large disk arrays and processing subsystems I/O that is getting the 30% CPU performance hit, which is still not good, though!

For older Intel x86 and x86_64 systems back to 1995 without patches, though, Meltdown and Spectre pretty much did make them near worthless, unless security isn't a factor, of course. :)
I've also seen that the Meltdown patches from Microsoft don't actually patch the Meltdown issue in 32-bit Windows operating systems, sadly, but I have seen news of them continuing to work on a fix, so hopefully they will have updates for us on that in the future.

Things aren't much better on the GNU/Linux side, either, as if your distro is not supported with the latest kernel patches, you're simply SOL. :eek:
So, you ready to move back to Intel 80486 and Motorola 68040 systems with me, yet? :D

I installed the meltdown patch on all my intel laptops and installed Gibson insceptre utility which now allows me to switch meltdown protection on or off. ONe problem my Atom Z3740 8.1 x86 tablet installed the patch but its not enabling protection. In fact the buttons for enabling and disabling are ghosted. I thought the Baytrail cpus had the security flaw and the patch included them?

Back