Intel GMA950 and 1680x1050

hungryduck

[H]ard|Gawd
I'd like to buy a either a 19" or 20" widescreen for use with my liddle macbook, which only has an Intel GMA 950 for a video card. Now, Apple states that it can push up to 1920x1200 resolution.....so should I bother going for a 20" WS at 1680x1050 or should I just get a 19" and run at 1400x900 resolution?
Keep in mind, I won't be doing any gaming on this thing - just normal web/email/chat stuff along with web design and audio work.
If I do go for a 20 inch, would the Dell E207 do the job? I'm not really worried about color reproduction, but I will watch movies and such from time to time on it. I'm just tired of crouching over this little 13 inch LCD for 4 hours a day.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5123

Is there anyone else using an external LCD with their macbook? How is the performance at higher resolutions? Any help/advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Well, I'm currently testing both a NEC 20wmgx2 (1680x1050) and Gateway FPD2485w (1920x1200) with my black Macbook C2D, and both are running great. There was just a bit of chop in Expose with the bigger monitor, and dashboard isn't exactly silky smooth on both. But other than that, they're perfect. Note that I'm running with the MacBook lid closed (that screen is just way too small and dim in comparison to either of these monitors). I've heard things might be a bit less smooth if you use desktop spanning.

I think I'm probably going to keep the NEC and return the Gateway. It's tough to get used to a matte screen after using that beautiful glossy Macbook screen. The screen on the NEC has the same crystal clear vibrancy as the macbook. Plus Expose runs perfectly on the slightly smaller screen, with no noticeable slowdown.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Well, I'm currently testing both a NEC 20wmgx2 (1680x1050) and Gateway FPD2485w (1920x1200) with my black Macbook C2D, and both are running great. There was just a bit of chop in Expose with the bigger monitor, and dashboard isn't exactly silky smooth on both. But other than that, they're perfect. Note that I'm running with the MacBook lid closed (that screen is just way too small and dim in comparison to either of these monitors). I've heard things might be a bit less smooth if you use desktop spanning.

I think I'm probably going to keep the NEC and return the Gateway. It's tough to get used to a matte screen after using that beautiful glossy Macbook screen. The screen on the NEC has the same crystal clear vibrancy as the macbook. Plus Expose runs perfectly on the slightly smaller screen, with no noticeable slowdown.

Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions.

thanks, this is great info! so 1680x1050 runs okay then.....good to know.

I've tested both my Sceptres on my macbook (20.1 Naga III, and 22wg), and it can push both of them fine without any problems so far (except for the routing of cables).

Back