• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel gave me another 13900k

Epyon

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 25, 2001
Messages
1,531
Looks like Intel is shipping me another 13, 900 K since the previous one took a shit. I was kinda hoping I would get some money but if anybody’s doing RMA’s, I guess they have enough stock now that you’re just gonna get another replacement processor and as soon as I get it, I’m putting that bitch up for sale.

Kind of surprised when I always try to claim warranty on something it’s like people are always finding ways to deny deny deny.
 
Sounds like they did good in terms of honoring the warranty, but you seem less than thrilled with the outcome.

Did your old 13900k die before or after they released the new microcode fixes, and if after, were you running the latest motherboard BIOS?
 
Are the 13/14th gens worth it getting?
I first heard the fix didn't have much of a performance hit, but heard later it was more.
I might just go with AMD on my build this round as I'm not sure if the Ultras would fit my use.
 
Are the 13/14th gens worth it getting?
I first heard the fix didn't have much of a performance hit, but heard later it was more.
I might just go with AMD on my build this round as I'm not sure if the Ultras would fit my use.
Yes, if you can find a great price, and i5's definitely. I have 3 13600K's, two for $150 and one for $147. Even if there was a performance hit, it's minimal to 1-2%. They overclock at stock voltages (1.35V) to 4.7GHz for 2 cores, and 4.4GHz for all cores. So whatever performance hit they get, it's nulled by it's overclocking ability. When overclocked, they get ~15% boost single core, with ~5% boost all core over stock at the above mentioned settings.
 
I think I got it the day it came out or the day after and that was when i was doing all my video encoding on all my blu rays and 4k HD and my anime and all my tv shows blu rays and everything. I had that bitch running as a second computer 24/7. It did not take long to have problem starting when i was running it like that.

I do not have the system anymore so i have no need for the chip. I think i can get 300 shipped. I can use it to help pay for the 2x 8tb nvme i just bought.
 
Does the warranty reset with the new CPU, or continue from the date of the original purchase of the initial CPU?
That is a very good question. I would say if it was a tray replacement or something maybe only the original five years but if they’re sending me a brand new one in the retail box, it may be another five years. I’m really unsure.
 
I've been running my 14900k overclocked for 15 months without issue. Capped to 253w since day one. Also pairs nicely with 8000MHz DDR5.
 
I've had a day 1 intel 13900k processor and when word got out of potential issues I ran the intel diagnostic tool multiple times with no issue found. Also was up to date with all the released Bios patches. I did get some random reboots in game here and there but thought to myself they were random and most likely bad gaming code. Anyway, I downloaded Marvel Rivals to play and noticed a crash when compiling the shaders. I could not get past the shade compiles until I lowered my multiplier. Reached out to Intel and received a new 13900K. I am able to compile the Rivals shaders now no problem.
 
I've had a day 1 intel 13900k processor and when word got out of potential issues I ran the intel diagnostic tool multiple times with no issue found. Also was up to date with all the released Bios patches. I did get some random reboots in game here and there but thought to myself they were random and most likely bad gaming code. Anyway, I downloaded Marvel Rivals to play and noticed a crash when compiling the shaders. I could not get past the shade compiles until I lowered my multiplier. Reached out to Intel and received a new 13900K. I am able to compile the Rivals shaders now no problem.
To be clear, the intel diagnostic tool has never officially been a way to confirm that a CPU is definitely damaged by the VMIN Shift problem.

Intel customer service had some people run the tool, as part of their troubleshooting/support process. And the internet ran with it and I believe over time it was incorrectly touted as a tool to confirm a damaged CPU, from the VMIN issue.
 
To be clear, the intel diagnostic tool has never officially been a way to confirm that a CPU is definitely damaged by the VMIN Shift problem.

Intel customer service had some people run the tool, as part of their troubleshooting/support process. And the internet ran with it and I believe over time it was incorrectly touted as a tool to confirm a damaged CPU, from the VMIN issue.
Agreed, mine showed fine but its not fine. The good news is that Intel is willing to cross ship as long as you live in the US or Canada. There is a non refundable fee of 25 bucks but it is worth it to me. I put the retail value on a CC and when they get the bad one, i will get a credit. Fingers crossed that they do not mess this up but so far, responsiveness has been great.
 
Are the 13/14th gens worth it getting?
I first heard the fix didn't have much of a performance hit, but heard later it was more.
I might just go with AMD on my build this round as I'm not sure if the Ultras would fit my use.
When I tested it, the 14700K was a solid upgrade from the 12900K across the board. I don't think there was much of anything the CPU wasn't better at. It's a solid gaming CPU as is the 14600K. I hadn't tested the 14900K, but its faster than Intel's Core Ultra 9 285K at gaming. (Fuck I hate their new naming scheme.) The main thing is taking steps with your setup to mitigate the chance of CPU degradation.
 
I'm surprised you got another 13900k. When I opened up my warranty claim they told me they had zero stocks and I could wait for a full refund or the 13900k to restock which would take several months. I asked them if they could upgrade me to a 14900k and they said yes.
 
I'm surprised you got another 13900k. When I opened up my warranty claim they told me they had zero stocks and I could wait for a full refund or the 13900k to restock which would take several months. I asked them if they could upgrade me to a 14900k and they said yes.
My hope was for a 14900. Now that i have agreed to option 2( Cross shipment) The email states that they will reach out for the CC information. Is the 14900 worth spending a little extra ? I was going to try to talk them into paying a little more for that but am holding of just in case they offer it free should 13900 stock at time of correspondence is just not there.
 
My hope was for a 14900. Now that i have agreed to option 2( Cross shipment) The email states that they will reach out for the CC information. Is the 14900 worth spending a little extra ? I was going to try to talk them into paying a little more for that but am holding of just in case they offer it free should 13900 stock at time of correspondence is just not there.
The 14900K is pretty much a 13900KS clock-wise so it's a few hundred MHz faster or so at maximum than the 13900K.
 
Ok, so I just got off the phone and when I enquired, the engineer said they would most likely upgrade me for free. He sent me an email with the request for the original purchase receipt and I was to reply with my request and the reason that I felt that they should do so. Time will tell.
 
Wow, I had my 14900K 24 hours later almost to the minute , no extra charge. Say what you want about Intel. They sure stood behind their product in my experience. She is a little warm at idle but its new paste, 34c. My 13900k idled 10 c less but the paste needs to settle in. I am not complaining. (Pic taken before the Contact Frame was tightened)
20250328_195734.jpg
Screenshot 2025-03-28 204402.png


As I type this, she dropped to 30C. Core voltage jacked to 1.456 during the screen shot be she hovers around 1.288 @ 5700GHZ
 
Last edited:
Wow, I had my 14900K 24 hours later almost to the minute , no extra charge. Say what you want about Intel. They sure stood behind their product in my experience. She is a little warm at idle but its new paste, 34c. My 13900k idled 10 c less but the paste needs to settle in. I am not complaining. (Pic taken before the Contact Frame was tightened)
View attachment 719946View attachment 719947

As I type this, she dropped to 30C. Core voltage jacked to 1.456 during the screen shot be she hovers around 1.288 @ 5700GHZ
34c is normal/on the low side for a stock/lidded CPU.
 
Back
Top