Intel Extreme Tuning Utility

robbro9

n00b
Ok, as stated in another thread, I have a new K series process and I'm trying to overclock. I'm trying to use the Intel utility (I have an intel motherboard) and it just comes up to the splash screen and stops...

http://www.intel.com/support/proces...apkw=intel+extreme+tuning+utility+(intel+xtu)

Trying to follow this, under the does not open section. Ok, reboot, check. Device manager? I checked the "Task Manager" and the service they mention is not even there, so what should I do now? The 4 Intel services I have running are "Capability Licensing Service" "Desktop Boards FSC Aplication" "ME Service" and "PROSet Monitoring Service". What the heck could I do if the "Extreme Tuning Utility Service" is not only not running, its not listed there at all?

Ah, one more bit of info, this is in Windows 7 64 bit btw... right cliking on my computer and manage, then going to services, it does indeed show up there, however when I try to start I get the message "The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs."
Any ideas now?

Ok first of all which Intel® board do you have have? The Intel Extreme Tuning Utility will work on a number of boards (not just Intel) on the features that the board maker has enabled. So if you are using an H77 chipset board you are most likely not going to be able to do anything with the utility but if you have the Intel DZ77GA-70K you will be able to do more with it.

First start in the Bios and go in and change the multiplier. There are two ways to do this but the easiest for you is on the turbo boost from (If I remember right) 38, 37, 36, 35 to 41, 41, 41, 41. This will overclock your processor with the turbo mode from 3.8GHz max to 4.1GHz as long as the heat doesnt reach too high (also you most likely can do this without changing the voltage). This is the easy way to overclock these unlocked "K" processors.

Now with the utility you may be able to change the BLCK sets a very small amount like from 100 to 103 but much of these features are disable outside of the Bios.

Back