Intel Extreme Tuning & OEM's

matt167

[H]ard|Gawd
I was doing some reading that the W3680 and W3690 have unlocked multipliers where no other LGA1366 chip does. Also ran across something that suggests the HP Z400 series have people running Intel XTU to set the multipliers in the OEM systems..

Would this work with Dell Precision TX500 systems, or any other OEM's that can take chips with unlocked multipliers?

Wow, throttle stop has changed since I last used it. I just put together a second T3500 with a W3565 that scores a better single core/ gaming performance than the X5670 in my main gaming box which is my first T3500 I built.. So main box is due for an upgrade and I think I could get a W3690 over 4 GHZ pretty easy

The Xeon W3680 / W3690 are almost identical to the Core i7-980X Extreme and the Core i7-990X Extreme. They all have an unlocked multiplier which allows for easy overclocking. Intel might have set a different default multiplier and shipped them in different boxes but they are all built on the same assembly line using the same 32nm technology. On Ebay, you will be able to find Xeons for half or a third of the price compared to the Extremes. On a T3500, after overclocking, all 4 processors will run at the exact same speed so you might as well save your money and get a Xeon W3680.

Back